2017 Honda Civic Si MPG

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I did about 30 miles this morning going to work at a cruising speed. NO down hill lol.
People keep bitching that the Si is underpowered but to me it's the best commuter car I've ever had. Consistently over 40 MPG on my commute of 65 miles a day. I got slightly better MPG on my previous commuter which was a Lexus Ct200h but the Si blows that car away with fun factor and 6 MT. My current tank of gas is trending to make it to 500 miles before I'm empty. :)

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
People keep bitching that the Si is underpowered but to me it's the best commuter car I've ever had. Consistently over 40 MPG on my commute of 65 miles a day. I got slightly better MPG on my previous commuter which was a Lexus Ct200h but the Si blows that car away with fun factor and 6 MT. My current tank of gas is trending to make it to 500 miles before I'm empty. :)
One could say it is overpowered based on the fact it will spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd gears in a straight line on dry pavement with the stock tires. ;)

To be fair, the price of premium fuel does offset fuel costs.

The Si is rated 28 city, 38 highway, and 32 combined on premium. I've averaged 34 combined so far. Based on the price of regular vs. premium at my last fill-up, that's the equivalent of 28 MPG for regular.

I average 22 MPG in my Ridgeline which uses regular, so that's about 9 cents per mile.
I average 34 MPG in my Si which uses premium, so that's about 7 cents per mile.

The Si's fuel economy is 55% better, but it's only 33% cheaper due to the higher price of premium gasoline.

So, MPG doesn't mean much when you're comparing between vehicles that use different fuel types. The actual cost per mile is what actually affects your bank account. Seeing those 30-40 MPG figures from the Si seems impressive untill you consider the price of premium gasoline which brings us back down to reality. :)

For example:

The 2017 Civic EX-T 6MT is rated at 35 MPG combined. At $2.00/gallon for regular, that car costs 5.7 cents per mile to drive.

The 2017 Civic Si is rated at 32 MPG combined. On the surface, that 3 MPG decrease doesn't seem all that big, but at $2.50/gallon for premium, the Si costs 7.8 cents per mile to drive - a significant increase over the EX-T.

Last edited:

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
One could say it is overpowered based on the fact it will spin the wheels in 1st and 2nd gears in a straight line on dry pavement with the stock tires. ;)

The Si is rated 28 city, 38 highway, and 32 combined on premium. I've averaged 34 combined so far. Based on the price of regular vs. premium at my last fill-up, that's the equivalent of 28 MPG for regular.

I average 22 MPG in my Ridgeline which uses regular, so that's about 9 cents per mile.

The Si's fuel economy is 55% better, but it's only 33% cheaper due to the higher price of premium gasoline.

So, MPG doesn't mean much when you're comparing between vehicles that use different fuel types. The actual cost per mile is what actually affects your bank account. Seeing those 30-40 MPG figures from the Si seems impressive untill you consider the price of premium gasoline which brings us back down to reality. :)

For example:

The 2017 Civic EX-T 6MT is rated at 35 MPG combined. At $2.00/gallon for regular, that car costs 5.7 cents per mile to drive.

The 2017 Civic Si is rated at 32 MPG combined. On the surface, that 3 MPG decrease doesn't seem all that big, but at $2.50/gallon for premium, the Si costs 7.8 cents per mile to drive - a significant increase over the EX-T.
I guess where you are at there is a huge difference between regular and premium. This morning at my local gas station it was $2.599 for regular and $2.799 for premium. At these prices it's about a 2 cent difference per mile. Works out to about $400/year if you drive 20K miles.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I guess where you are at there is a huge difference between regular and premium. This morning at my local gas station it was $2.599 for regular and $2.799 for premium. At these prices it's about a 2 cent difference per mile. Works out to about $400/year if you drive 20K miles.
California Average (you) - $2.91 regular, $3.16 premium - 25 cents or 9% difference
National Average - $2.28 regular, $2.81 premium - 53 cents or 23% difference
Texas Average (me) - $2.09 regular, $2.63 premium - 54 cents or 26% difference

Source: http://gasprices.aaa.com/

clayky

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Wow. 60 cents is the minimum difference around here.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

For example:

Although this is a great post, I want to play devil's advocate for a moment. Do we know the fuel economy the Si gets on 87? I'm pretty sure there's a power decrease - probably a graph somewhere on these forums - but I don't know if there was ever a confirmed fuel economy decrease. Not that anyone should be running 87 regularly in this thing, but it could very well pull the same numbers, in which case the increase in fuel cost may not be a factor.

It's safe to guess that the dealer put 87 in mine. I got about 39mpg (according to the car) doing 70mph most of the way home, which was a 200+ mile trip including 14 miles already on the clock. I'd have probably broken 40mpg easily if I'd slowed it down to 60-65.

OP
OP
y2kprofesor

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Although this is a great post, I want to play devil's advocate for a moment. Do we know the fuel economy the Si gets on 87? I'm pretty sure there's a power decrease - probably a graph somewhere on these forums - but I don't know if there was ever a confirmed fuel economy decrease. Not that anyone should be running 87 regularly in this thing, but it could very well pull the same numbers, in which case the increase in fuel cost may not be a factor.

It's safe to guess that the dealer put 87 in mine. I got about 39mpg (according to the car) doing 70mph most of the way home, which was a 200+ mile trip including 14 miles already on the clock. I'd have probably broken 40mpg easily if I'd slowed it down to 60-65.
The 49.5 MPG was on 89 octane and a ok flow of traffic not a stop and go.

Chris26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've only filled up my car twice, premium both times. My daily commute is around 80 miles round trip, mostly highway driving.

First averaged 38.2 MPG
Second was 39.0

Gas was $2.55/gallon

This car really is an amazing mix of power and efficiency.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I've been averaging 32-33 between refuels, -- that's without holding back at all, let alone "trying" for high MPG. Mixed city/highway. Definitely faster than the TSX, and at least 6-8 MPG better on average.

This car really is an amazing mix of power and efficiency.
Yes!!

Last edited:

CEPA_Si

Detailing Guru
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2014 Kia Optima SX-t, 2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am averaging around 28 mpg over the first 2 tanks so far, however there is 0 highway driving done on this car so far. All just stop and go driving around town over the first month. I am pretty happy with the 28 mpg for all city driving.
Sponsored