2017 Honda Civic road trip - Am I nuts?

bountybuddy

First Name
bountybuddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic, 2008 Pontiac Vibe and 2004 Pontiac Vibe
Hi everyone. My wife and I live in Michigan. As soon as winter passes we have planned a road trip to Texas to visit one of my oldest friends. When I was in my thirties I did road trips often. Now I'm in my seventies and it's a whole different world. We both love our Civic. I feel it is the best car I have ever owned. We could fly out for one or two weeks and fly back. Am I nuts to even consider this road trip? Thank you for your opinions. May all your paths be bright ones.
Sponsored

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
You'd be nuts not to do this road trip. I do 3-4 road trips a year that are 1500-2000 miles and about twice a month I do a 600-800 mile road trip.
And I drive it like I stole it. No point saving the car for the next guy.

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
A car forum should suggest driving.
What is your planned route?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Already driven mine to Lancaster, CA and back twice. A little over 400 each way and no problems. You may have to stop more often for bathroom and to stretch but shouldn't be a problem. Plus we have free roadside if anything happens. At least if you are still under 36k miles.

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
I drove a rental 2016 sedan LX from Atlanta to Buffalo with my wife and we were both comfortable and had a great time. We absolutely love road trips and we're both in our mid-30s though, and I know it gets harder the older you get. Just take your time to enjoy it... stop often and walk around.

xcivicx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SI coupe in black
Country flag
i bought mine for road trips. at 10k miles now all road trip miles, well justa bout. done just fine. me? i'm 65. put a roof rack on and i don't have to race everybody.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
did about 3/4 short trips in mine already. Do it and enjoy :thumbsup:

brienp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my dad is in his early 70s. He and my step mom go on long distance road trips all the time. His personal opinion is: "I've got 7 Saturdays and a Sunday to my week". when you point out theres only 7 days a week he always retorts with "sucks to not be retired doesnt it? I can have as many saturdays as I want!" Anyway, they actually are on a road trip right now. They live around the San Francisco area and are on a month long road trip up through Canada and the back down through the Grand Tetons. Get out. See the world you live in. Our time here is finite.

shadowspar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Hatch LX CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Road trip all the way. It's great on gas, handles well and rides nicely. I think the Civic is a great roadtrip machine for one or two people; that's the reason I bought it. :D

Yes, you have to do the driving yourselves, but you have the chance to see and experience so much more along the way. On a road trip, every seat's a good seat, nobody cares about your pocketknife or water bottle, and your car is never overbooked. ;)

Rojer

ANW Pirate Ninja
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback RED
Stop by the BB-35 Battleship Texas while you're here. It's sinking and we need your money :p

Monocacy

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did a 1,000 mile road trip with my Si and the dog. Wife accompanied on the outbound leg, through West Virginia to Lexington, KY. Return trip looped through eastern Tennessee and the southern Appalachians before heading home. We stopped every few hours at disc ("Frisbee") golf courses along the way. Great trip, and the Si was excellent on highways and byways.

Looks like Michigan to Texas would be 2-3 times the mileage. If you have places you want to stop on the way, or if you just like driving, have fun! For me, if I just want to get there I'd rather fly.

I know, sacrilege on a car forum. ;)

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Do the road trip. Just make sure that you stop about every two hours for health reasons.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hi everyone. My wife and I live in Michigan. As soon as winter passes we have planned a road trip to Texas to visit one of my oldest friends. When I was in my thirties I did road trips often. Now I'm in my seventies and it's a whole different world. We both love our Civic. I feel it is the best car I have ever owned. We could fly out for one or two weeks and fly back. Am I nuts to even consider this road trip? Thank you for your opinions. May all your paths be bright ones.
Go for it.
We're both in our 70's and take road trips all the time - as long as you or your spouse enjoy driving, the Civic is an excellent platform to see this great country.
Our biggest adventure in our '12 Si was a 30 day Upper Loop (MA to Washington State via Canada, to LA, then back home via the Southern Route - 9,500+ miles) A GPS (or excellent map-reading skills) is mandatory and a Cell Phone can relieve worry (if there is a cell signal).

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
You can see how high your MPG's go on the trip!

Last year my wife and I drove from PA to the Outer Banks and averaged 51 mpg over 450 miles one way. Only used little more than half a tank!
You used pretty much 3/4ths of a tank exactly, just sayin.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Plus, it’s a great time to use your adaptive cruise control to go along with the Lane Assist. Just don’t fall asleep while “driving” lol.
Sponsored