First Name
Andric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I need help with the offset sizing. I’m confused to how it works when I’m shopping for new rims. My original car wheel sizing is 215/55/16 and offset is 42. I’m trying to upgrade to one inch higher, which is 215/55/17. And for the wheel I’m trying to get is only showing offset 40.

Will it fit properly on my car with no trouble or problems at all in the future? Let me know what you think. Any help would be appreciated!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic LX offset sizing 9D0E2C48-4BBC-4E16-B737-5280F24B1FE5
Sponsored

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
It should be fine. But what do you want to achieve to increase the tyre size as it now +4% bigger and speedometer error? This will reduce the acceleration and also eat a bit of gas.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, the wheel will fit perfectly. But you want a different tire size. Order 215/50-17.

OP
OP
andrictang5

andrictang5

First Name
Andric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
It should be fine. But what do you want to achieve to increase the tyre size as it now +4% bigger and speedometer error? This will reduce the acceleration and also eat a bit of gas.
Oh really? I didn’t know that. Should I just get the same wheel size instead? Just go for 16” ?

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Oh really? I didn’t know that. Should I just get the same wheel size instead? Just go for 16” ?
Share with us what you want to achieve and the community here will be happy to give advice as close as oem spec. Eg, you want a meaty look? More aggressive look? More stance? Lowered or keep stock suspension? Comfort ride? Etc.

OP
OP
andrictang5

andrictang5

First Name
Andric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Share with us what you want to achieve and the community here will be happy to give advice as close as oem spec. Eg, you want a meaty look? More aggressive look? More stance? Lowered or keep stock suspension? Comfort ride? Etc.
I just want to go for a regular good look since my tires are starting to tread off soon. Been thinking about getting new rims and tires for my car. So definitely a comfort ride for sure.

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Comfort@17” (compare with 215/55/16)
215/55/17 (+4% error)
225/50/17 (+2.4% error)
215/50/17 (+0.8% error)
235/45/17 (0% and more road contact)
225/45/17 (-1.2% error)

For offset, since you are getting a new wheel, you can take this opportunity to get a slight neg. offset, eg. -35(more flush) to -40(less flush).

For regular and good(flush) look, 215/50/17 offset -35.

As for the anesthetic look, this is very personal, it is best you can shortlist some more wheels and the community here can give you more accurate opinions or suggestions.

If is for me, since I am going to upgrade and live with the wheels for years, I will put in a slight more budget, get a lighter wheel, a slight aggressive look and slight wider tyre.

I was in your position before, as I dig deeper and deeper into wheel/tyre upgrade, my budget burst. BUT here is the deal, it save me 4~5% of my gas(ROI? Maybe? ?), slight improved acceleration and whenever I look at my wheel, I feel real good as it always put on a smile on my face. Also, I received so many compliments as well.

Sketchling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
215/55/17 (+4% error)
225/50/17 (+2.4% error)
215/50/17 (+0.8% error)
225/45/17 (-1.2% error)

For offset, since you are getting a new wheel, you can take this opportunity to get a slight neg. offset, eg. -35(more flush) to -40(less flush).

As for the anesthetic look, this is very personal, it is best you can shortlist some more wheels and the community here can give you more accurate opinions or suggestions.

If is for me, since I am going to upgrade and live with the wheels for years, I will put in a slight more budget, get a lighter wheel, a slight aggressive look and slight wider tyre.

I was in your position before, as I dig deeper and deeper into wheel/tyre upgrade, my budget burst. BUT here is the deal, it save me 4~5% of my gas(ROI? Maybe? ?), slight improved acceleration and whenever I look at my wheel, I feel real good as it always put on a smile on my face. Also, I received so many compliments as well.
Also curious about this too as I am new to all these numbers. I have the same LX model as OP, just 2019.

What do all the % error numbers mean? I am also considering going from 16" to 17", what are the things I should watch out for? What measurements will allow for more acceleration and aggressive look?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

OP
OP
andrictang5

andrictang5

First Name
Andric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
215/55/17 (+4% error)
225/50/17 (+2.4% error)
215/50/17 (+0.8% error)
225/45/17 (-1.2% error)

Thank you for the awesome advice bro! Since I’m pretty new and a beginner to this, I want to learn more about this stuff. Let’s say I considered this as my new hobby, to take care of my car well. If I were to go with a slight aggressive look, where should I start? All I want is a fresh new set of wheels to look great with my car for a long time and feel satisfied looking at it every time. You feel me?

PS. can I see a picture of your car too? It’ll give me that exciting feeling as I look at it and it will make me want to mod my car a little more. Lol.

Looking forward to hear from you soon!

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also curious about this too as I am new to all these numbers. I have the same LX model as OP, just 2019.

What do all the % error numbers mean? I am also considering going from 16" to 17", what are the things I should watch out for? What measurements will allow for more acceleration and aggressive look?

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Those % error numbers means that's how off the speedometer is going to be

+4% error means actual speed will be higher than indicated (speedometer will read 60MPH, you'll actually be going 4% faster, so actual speed will be 62.4MPH). Not only will it affect speed reading, but odometer reading, as well.

Just in case you don't know how to read tire sizes, since it correlates with the % error
example tire size: 215/55-16
  • 215 is the treadwidth in mm (215mm wide tread on the tire)
  • 55 is the sidewall height as a percentage of treadwidth (55 = 55% of 215, so the sidewall height is 118.25mm)
  • 16 is the rim diameter it fits

Online calculators help out a lot with finding what tires will keep your speedometer close to OEM as possible. My current calculator of choice is www.wheel-size.com/calc/ since it won't only tell you differences in tire specs, but also if you have the OE measurements/clearances as well as new offset of rims (or factor it into the measurements if you use spacers), changes to scrub radius, fender/wheelwell/suspension clearances, etc., and give you a visual representation of the change.

pretty much, figure out what everyone else is running with regards to tires. Vast majority of people already running tire setups is gonna have something that a) fits with minimal rubbing/clearance issues, if any at all, and b) will keep speedometer/odometer readings happy. Secondary to those, comfort (smaller sidewall typically means "harsher" ride) and effects on acceleration and whatnot

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The % error is speedometer error. Any change in tyre size (that deviate from the oem tyre circumference spec.) will affect the speedometer reading on your dash some way the other. To keep as accurate, maintain the oem tyre circumference spec. It doesn’t matter how big is the wheel size, be it 15”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”, etc (not refer to crazy setup), in general, the guide is within 3% tolerance from oem circumference spec. Having said that, the largest the wheel, the small the tyre wall and the less comfort when the size of the tyre circumference is fixed

Here is the tyre size comparison link. Insert some numbers and it will elaborate more.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

First time wheel/tyre upgrader mostly in a dilemma situation because it is not possible to have the best of both world. But the below might help for daily driver use;

Tips;
- keep as close as oem tyre circumference spec. This will keep the dash speedometer as accurate.
- light weight wheels. This will save you some gas and also improve acceleration. The lighter the better but the more expensive.
- 1 or 2 size up wider tyre is fine. It gives more road contact (more safety) but also more expensive.
- for slight aggressive look, tyre as close to the fender but not too much that cause rubbing issue. Be conservative on the wheel offset.

If you want a more aggressive look, change to lowered spring or coil but this will be a different topic.

Upgrade your wheel/tyre is fun as long as you get the calculation right. Yes, it takes time and patience but once you get everything right at first, you will always feel good and enjoy your ride for years.

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thank you for the awesome advice bro! Since I’m pretty new and a beginner to this, I want to learn more about this stuff. Let’s say I considered this as my new hobby, to take care of my car well. If I were to go with a slight aggressive look, where should I start? All I want is a fresh new set of wheels to look great with my car for a long time and feel satisfied looking at it every time. You feel me?

PS. can I see a picture of your car too? It’ll give me that exciting feeling as I look at it and it will make me want to mod my car a little more. Lol.

Looking forward to hear from you soon!
Coming to 9mths and I always feel great since Day 1. Yes, it costs me more but no regrets?

Advan Racing RGlll 18x8 -37 c/w 235/40
Light weight, shaved 12.5lbs/corner (Total 50lbs)
Save me ~5% on gas(8.2L/100km to now 7.7L/100km)
Lowered on Eibach Pro spring

Hope you get it.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic LX offset sizing C4152A83-D207-458C-8E3E-F4798DD2F2B9

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic LX offset sizing AC41EE22-BDE8-419A-BEB4-334C335209F4

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Gold. Back to the classroom for you.

You're telling the guy to get a -35 offset wheel? o_O I think you meant +35.

OP, like I said earlier, get those wheels and 215/50-17. You'll be happy.