2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT Paddle Shifter Tips

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
I've grown to warm up to paddle shifters on CVT's over time on this Civic

The part that annoys me is the auto-upshift though. If I'm just a fraction too late in slapping the paddle, it ends up double shifting after it's auto-shifted, then registered my paddle - leaving me in too low a gear ratio when I'm trying to floor it away.

I wonder if the upshift is programmed to the CVT (if there are any electronic control units in it, like DCT's), or by ECU redline - because then I wonder if I set the redline just a hair lower than the auto-shift-up point, it won't auto-shift.
Sponsored

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
The more I drive the Hatch with CVT the more I use the paddle shifters to select a different belt ratio.

jsarsoza

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatch sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree that "S" mode is the option for the best acceleration. I don't use paddle shifters very much at all as I don't see that they are that effective. The only time it makes sense to use the shifters is from a stop, like if you are first at a stop light. Also, its best if the road is fairly straight. Even then, there seems to be no benefit in performance, its just give you something to do if you're bored. :)
hey i was driving on sport mode last night, i was on 6th gear and shifted up just to see what would happen and it shifted to T and immediately put it back to drive. any idea what T is?

gstrek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
hey i was driving on sport mode last night, i was on 6th gear and shifted up just to see what would happen and it shifted to T and immediately put it back to drive. any idea what T is?
I have no idea what T is and hadn't noticed it myself (probably cuz i don't use paddles much). Did a quick online search and didnt find anything. Now I'm curious.

Hatchbackboi1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
kinda related

any know if its possible to go from manual gear in sport mode back to auto in sport mode without having to shift to drive? in other cars, you could just hold the paddle down and it would go back to auto

gstrek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
kinda related

any know if its possible to go from manual gear in sport mode back to auto in sport mode without having to shift to drive? in other cars, you could just hold the paddle down and it would go back to auto
I only know the same as you mentioned... switch back to drive. If anyone else knows different, do share.

jsarsoza

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatch sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have no idea what T is and hadn't noticed it myself (probably cuz i don't use paddles much). Did a quick online search and didnt find anything. Now I'm curious.
I figured it out, it’s not a T it’s a 7 lol. I was so tired from work last night I thought i saw a T

Belmonte

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic sport hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post!

I'm new to the whole paddle shifters and am not quite sure how to use them and when to shift (pretty much ignorant to this). If I want to get the best out of the speed whats the best way to do this using the paddles? And whats the best way to use them in D mode and get the most out of fuel?

Thanks everyone and sorry for my ignorance haha
okay so if you are racing, dont do from a dig in a CVT, most likely slow as fuck and you put so much wear on your tranny just dont do it. put the thing in sport mode drop down to 2nd gear and do 30/40 rolls and just floor it, only use the paddle shifters to select your initial gear, after the race is over upshift to 7th gear and drop it back in D
Sponsored