2017 Honda Civic Hatch Cold Start Sound

Sandman210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hi All,

Recently I have been noticing an odd sound when starting up my civic hatch. It sounds like something related to the radiator but I am not sure. After the car is running for a few minutes the sound goes away.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I have something similar that goes away when car gets warm. I took it to Honda a few months ago and they told me it was noise from the High Pressure Fuel Pump. I don't believe them because it didn't do it for a few months after I bought the car so who knows.

Hi All,

Recently I have been noticing an odd sound when starting up my civic hatch. It sounds like something related to the radiator but I am not sure. After the car is running for a few minutes the sound goes away.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

OP
OP

Sandman210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I have something similar that goes away when car gets warm. I took it to Honda a few months ago and they told me it was noise from the High Pressure Fuel Pump. I don't believe them because it didn't do it for a few months after I bought the car so who knows.
Yes same issue here. I did not hear the sound the first few months of owning the car and all of sudden it starts. The car is only 1 year old with a bit over 2k miles on it. Very odd

elusiveaura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR - 2020 Acura RDX A-Spec
Country flag
I've come to just ignore it now. I would take it in though and at least have them document it. They told me now that it's documented, if it ever gets worse or something does happen, they have it recorded for warranty purposes

Yes same issue here. I did not hear the sound the first few months of owning the car and all of sudden it starts. The car is only 1 year old with a bit over 2k miles on it. Very odd

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed this same issue on my brand new 19 HB Sport Touring. Has anyone figured out if it is a real issue?

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
Can anyone provide more details on the said noise? How loud? Can you hear it from inside the car or do you have to be in front with the hood open?

This thread made me want to check mine as well since the replies came from hatchback owners too.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t have the issue (2018 EU hatchback with 15.000 miles on the clock). Seems to be located somewhere on the right side of the car. By the sound of things there are 2 options:
- easy one: something is loose and rattles at certain rpm / vibration conditions;
- hard one: something wrong with the timing chain tensioning after start-up.

dj2819

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can anyone provide more details on the said noise? How loud? Can you hear it from inside the car or do you have to be in front with the hood open?

This thread made me want to check mine as well since the replies came from hatchback owners too.
Check the video in the original post. That is the same noise I hear.

Knock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CBP FK7
Country flag
I have a 19 HB Sport Touring. I will report back when I put more miles on it and see if my car is making the same noise.

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
I hear it on my 19 sport hatch 6mt as well, think I’m at around 1200 miles currently. It is a recent development and I can hear it inside and outside of the car during the cold start, I actually stepped out of the car when I first heard it but figured it was just a cold start thing. I should go into the dealership so they have record of it like someone else suggested

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I would suspect it has something to do with heat expansion within the DP or Mid-Pipe. Once it is warm enough that crackling goes away. Probably only happens on the 1st cold start and not when driving around and stopping.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
does anyone have updates? mine has always done it, but after 2 years it is bothering me a lot

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
I have updates, I have to leave the car in the workshop, there are no cases of faulty vtc actuator on the 1.5 turbo, but the noise is that, they have to verify it in person, not enough the movies

what a stress

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
After owning my car for 2 and a half years, I've come to realize the car sounds like utter crap at cold start. Normal for this engine though and sounds fine once warm.

JJJ

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Just bought my 2019 EX Hatchback last week. Tried the remote start this past Sunday and caught the same sound.

Definitely doesn't inspire confidence.
Sponsored