2017 Honda Civic has an updated Infotainment System

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
Nor did I say it was a widespread problem.
So then, what exactly did you intend to imply by:

They're being dishonest if they don't make the car work as expected. If they can't make new technology work correctly, they shouldn't use it.
So by your own admission, they made a technology that works just fine for a majority of customers. But at the same time, they've made a car that doesn't work as expected. Which is it?

Dead Pool1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (Black on Black)
This is the other half Jen, I'm gonna say that being a teacher and having some educational and psychological evaluation training of children, I sometimes can put it to good use in every day life, and I would say, you need some therapy sir.
Good day Jen. And thank you for your support. Being a educator of our youth is a difficult but vital career that seldom gets the just reward. But now on to the lingering debate. it is a slippery slope when posting to a forum. Not just in regards to confidentiality but of not objecting ones opinion in a matter that can appear to be speaking for the company. In the past I've spoke about manufacturing misperceptions. very basic techniques that a degree in manufacturing engineering process management would provide. But the items Ben is claiming breaks the confidentiality barrier and the ethics. my past employer was supplier to OEM audio. 10 years of repairing and trouble shooting motoronics to navigation. So I do understand that if any changes took place that would be communicated internally with supplier. Working for OEM You would have to have access to and a reason to break down the internals. judging by bens posts of observing connectors and function I'm pretty sure it's either a assembly associate or non employer. (Whare house). If not. Then Ben would be assisting someone with giving away confidential information. It's called competitive advantage. If a supplier sees evidence that a motor, safety feature or in this case a infotainment device is being changed then it allows them to react. And it's illegal. Either way it's uneducated assumptions that take away from the customers with true complaints. So in the end the customer is the one truly hurt.

TruthVandetta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I would pay for it another infotainment system if i can fit the 2017 honda CR-V infotainment on my civic. It has volume knob and physical buttons for climate control

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
So then, what exactly did you intend to imply by:

So by your own admission, they made a technology that works just fine for a majority of customers. But at the same time, they've made a car that doesn't work as expected. Which is it?
The latter, because I never said the former.
"they've made a car that doesn't work as expected"...for many customers. All I said is many people are having problems with it. Therefore there is obviously a problem.
I also did not say it "works just fine for a majority of customers". I said I didn't say it was a widespread problem. That's not the same as saying it's not a widespread problem. You keep misquoting me. You seem to be like a few others on here that think Honda can do no wrong.

By your logic, recalls and service bulletins should only affect all, or a majority of customers.

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
The latter, because I never said the former.
"they've made a car that doesn't work as expected"...for many customers. All I said is many people are having problems with it. Therefore there is obviously a problem.
I also did not say it "works just fine for a majority of customers". I said I didn't say it was a widespread problem. That's not the same as saying it's not a widespread problem. You keep misquoting me. You seem to be like a few others on here that think Honda can do no wrong.

By your logic, recalls and service bulletins should only affect all, or a majority of customers.
I... uh, yes, that's exactly it. A recall/service bulletin would be for an issue that can be found to affect all customers universally.

You're doing nothing but repeating yourself when I'm saying that there's nothing substantiating the claims that there are widespread problems. There will of course be failures (at last check, hardware in general has a 10-15% acceptable failure rate), but that's what the manufacturer's warranty is for.

OP
OP
Ben&Jen

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
Good day Jen. And thank you for your support. Being a educator of our youth is a difficult but vital career that seldom gets the just reward. But now on to the lingering debate. it is a slippery slope when posting to a forum. Not just in regards to confidentiality but of not objecting ones opinion in a matter that can appear to be speaking for the company. In the past I've spoke about manufacturing misperceptions. very basic techniques that a degree in manufacturing engineering process management would provide. But the items Ben is claiming breaks the confidentiality barrier and the ethics. my past employer was supplier to OEM audio. 10 years of repairing and trouble shooting motoronics to navigation. So I do understand that if any changes took place that would be communicated internally with supplier. Working for OEM You would have to have access to and a reason to break down the internals. judging by bens posts of observing connectors and function I'm pretty sure it's either a assembly associate or non employer. (Whare house). If not. Then Ben would be assisting someone with giving away confidential information. It's called competitive advantage. If a supplier sees evidence that a motor, safety feature or in this case a infotainment device is being changed then it allows them to react. And it's illegal. Either way it's uneducated assumptions that take away from the customers with true complaints. So in the end the customer is the one truly hurt.
Actually the 2017 Pilot WILL have Apple Carplay and Android Auto!
Well that will be nice, cause my mother looked at one and the sales person said not now. My mom has a pilot 5 years old and not an issue.

hondaguy6ix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan Touring (CBP), 2014 MDX SH-AWD Tech (CBP)
Posted in another thread about firmware versions but I picked up my 2017 Touring sedan yesterday and here is the about screen. Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic has an updated Infotainment System IMG_6423.JPG

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Based on the other thread http://www.civicx.com/threads/whats-your-firmware-version.5883/ there are several versions and Honda keeps them updating every few months. Build number can be seen ranging from 1.F186.69 to the latest 1.F191.56 in 2017 Civic. I have a 2016 (built in Sep) Civic EX with 1.F190.19
Can't be sure if they updated it specifically for 2017 models or if its just like a periodic update in 2016 Civics and are based on the month they're manufactured.

Assuming that these are just software updates, may be someone who has severe problems with their infotainment can ask their dealer to update it to the latest build number and see if 1.F191.XX can be built onto 2016 versions?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I... uh, yes, that's exactly it. A recall/service bulletin would be for an issue that can be found to affect all customers universally.
I meant affected as in the problem exists, not just that the car needs to be checked.
For recalls and SB's, the problem often doesn't exist in a majority of vehicles.
There are more people with infotainment unit problems than there are with engines requiring the snap ring recall fix.
You're doing nothing but repeating yourself when I'm saying that there's nothing substantiating the claims that there are widespread problems. There will of course be failures (at last check, hardware in general has a 10-15% acceptable failure rate), but that's what the manufacturer's warranty is for.
I haven't repeated myself unless it's to clear up were you keep misquoting me.
Reading your past replies to me, you seem maybe to be arguing just to argue, but definitely were arguing about points I didn't make.
For the many people on this and other forums that are having HU problems, which you think isn't a good sample, obviously there would be many times that number with HU problems that never visit forums. Forums aren't filled only with people that have problems.

So in summary, many people have reported problems with the HU, and you either think that's not true, and/or that Honda delivered a 100% working product unless a majority of the customers have the problem.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
JD POWERS Consumer Reports marked the 2016 Civic way down on their charts...in fact the Civic is no longer rated recommended by CR. Our local sales people had a meeting about this and it is all because of the crappy infotainment center. Honda dropped the ball big time and for those that read the ratings when buying they won't like what they see on the Civic.

brianric

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brianric.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The argument is not that there are zero people having issues, nor that people having issues are somehow lying. The point was that there is no evidence that this is truly a widespread problem. There are thousands of Civics on the road, far more than there are users of this forum. Even a majority of users on a forum would not be a large enough cross section of all Civic owners to break past an acceptable margin of error.

Now, the Consumer Reports stuff is more compelling evidence, but I'm not convinced the beating the Civic took there isn't at all related to the known issues Apple introduced to CarPlay. But I need to look into that more to draw a meaningful conclusion.
I've been having issues with my iPhone 7 Plus since day one using hands free on my 2016 Honda Civic Touring. Only way I can get hands free to work is to plug the phone into the USB port and have Car Play running. I've been through tier 2 support and through Honda In Car Technology support and have spent many useless hours troubleshooting to no avail. If it wasn't for the fact that I have an Apple Watch, which I do enjoy, I'd get rid of the iPhone. I had to open a second line with Verizon and reactivate my Samsung S7 to get hands free calling without having to plug into the USB port. I'm one of those owners of the 2016 Civic Touring that sent a scathing review of the car to Consumer Reports and will continue to do so until this problem is resolved.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I'm one of those owners of the 2016 Civic Touring that sent a scathing review of the car to Consumer Reports and will continue to do so until this problem is resolved
My concern is that Honda's definition of "resolved" will simply mean fixing it on a later model.
Sponsored