2017 Honda Civic ex-t wiring diagram

chanik909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ex-t
I've noticed that the wiring for the stock headunit in the 2017 Honda civic is different from the 2016. They have all the same harnesses on the back of the HU, but the harness that would have the receiving wires for the FL,FR,BL,BR speakers are nowhere to be seen. I

I have a 2017 Honda civic EX-t and I wanted to tap onto the receiving wires to connect to my LOC converter but from what I see the stock head-unit connects to a amp on the passenger side. I can find the power wires going from the amp to the the speakers using a multi-meter tool, but I have no way of determining what wires are receiving(signal wires) wires from the radio.

if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do to find out which wires are which id be happy to post the results on here.

thank you,

Chanik909

P.S. I'll post pictures of anything requested(related to my car that iso_O )
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
You have a coupe, I take it? The coupe EX-T gets the 10-speaker system with the amp while the sedan only gets that on the Touring.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic ex-t wiring diagram spdif[1]

The output from the headunit to the amp is SPDIF digital. I don't have access to the headunit side of the wiring diagram right now, but this is the amp side. But you'll see it in the headunit side too. So, you can't connect your LOC to the headunit because it doesn't have LO :)

Theoretically you could buy a DSP that has a digital input and use that, though there are a few unknowns with that: 1) the bitstream format on the wire might be non-standard, 2) I'm not sure if that connector is standard or if an adapter would be needed, and 3) a digital output like that may not be affected by the headunit's volume control.

The better choice, IMO, is to connect the LOC to the wires coming from the amp to the speakers. Here's a chart showing what is on each speaker:

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic ex-t wiring diagram volume-matrix[1]

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
josby, you are THE man !!!
I have the 2017 ex-t coupe and had no idea where to start to install a 4 ch amp or dsp.
Where is this amp located in the vehicle?
I may try using the SPDIF just to see if it is standard or not.
(If it isn't, I will never buy a Honda again ... [after all, why in the world would you use proprietary for this type of thing?])

peterletran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Coupe 6MT
I just found this thread:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/photos-of-touring-amp.5281/
It states that the digital connections are proprietary.
Apparently, there's vehicle information running between the units.

The stereo amplifier is a separated power amplifier interface. Digital audio signal (SPDIF2) that is received from the audio unit is
processed on the DSP, and sent to each speaker after amplified by the AMP IC.

The stereo amplifier communicates with the audio unit using the dedicated serial bus (RS485). This communication includes the
vehicle speed (for SVC) information, audio settings, and the MUTE commands. The stereo amplifier adjusts the speaker outputs by
oneself which is based on the received information.

The stereo amplifier receives the guidance signal and the system beep signal via independent lines, and mix them to applicable
audio lines.

So it looks like the SPDIF to HD DSP is not an option for me.
I'll be running LOC DSP from the amplifier.

OP
OP

chanik909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ex-t
I almost completed my set up, I'll post the pictures along with the wire colors coming off the pre amp I tapped onto some time tonight

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
josby, you are THE man !!!
I have the 2017 ex-t coupe and had no idea where to start to install a 4 ch amp or dsp.
Where is this amp located in the vehicle?
Lol, thanks. It's behind the passenger kick panel. Pop the door sill plate up a few inches at the front and then you can pull the kick panel out. It has two plastic pop fasteners on the backside of it holding it to the car.

I may try using the SPDIF just to see if it is standard or not.
(If it isn't, I will never buy a Honda again ... [after all, why in the world would you use proprietary for this type of thing?])
I read on another forum where a guy mentioned some model of Kia that used an SPDIF signal in a similar setup, and he said that one had a Logic7 bitstream on it, not standard stereo, so it required a DSP that could decode Logic7 (I doubt one exists for cars).

However, I'm still inclined to believe that our HU may send out normal stereo on the SPDIF and let the DSP in the amplifier do the conversion to multi-channel, since we know that DSP definitely does the muxing in of audio from the nav and such.

Last edited:

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I just found this thread:
http://www.civicx.com/threads/photos-of-touring-amp.5281/
It states that the digital connections are proprietary.
Apparently, there's vehicle information running between the units.

The stereo amplifier is a separated power amplifier interface. Digital audio signal (SPDIF2) that is received from the audio unit is
processed on the DSP, and sent to each speaker after amplified by the AMP IC.

The stereo amplifier communicates with the audio unit using the dedicated serial bus (RS485). This communication includes the
vehicle speed (for SVC) information, audio settings, and the MUTE commands. The stereo amplifier adjusts the speaker outputs by
oneself which is based on the received information.

The stereo amplifier receives the guidance signal and the system beep signal via independent lines, and mix them to applicable
audio lines.

It's possible, but i think you're misreading that. The RS485 bus is a separate wire (you'll see an RS485 wire in the wiring diagram between headunit and amp). My intepretation of that was that the SPDIF is pure music and the information exchange is done on the RS485 wire. And then the guidance audio and such is on a separate line to the amp (which I've tested personally and found it to be a balanced line-level analog signal).

Still, it means that if you were to use that SPDIF audio, you're giving up SVC, the ability to mute, guidance audio and system beeps, etc. Not worth it, IMO, when digital output's only real benefit in car audio is noise rejection, and noise problems are not so common anymore. LOC DSP from the amp makes the most sense to me.

OP
OP

chanik909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic ex-t
If anyone is interested this is the back of the amp, but like josby said it's best to go from the amp to LOC/DSP. I used a stinger wire and tapped the front and rear speakers from the amp to a 4 channel LOC to my aftermarket amp. Much loader and more thump, I have been enjoying it so far.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Honda Civic ex-t wiring diagram IMG_0126.JPG

Belfagorp

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X hatchback 1.6 I-DTEC
Country flag
Hello guys. i write from Italy. I'm interested in bypassing the amplifier but I don't know where it is located. You can help me?
Sponsored