2017 Honda Civic 1.0 i-VTEC Turbo SR review

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Having owned a 2014 Fiesta 1.0 and now a 2015 Focus 1.0, this engine would be more than fine for most. The low end torque definitely helps. You know what you're getting when you buy, so to be surprised that it's a slow car would make someone an idiot. Though I believe the 3cyl engine has a negative stigma in the US. Ford sales were pretty slow. Not sure they really cared as they did zero marketing for the 1.0. I think Honda would do a much better job.
Sponsored

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
Thanks for posting. I would have liked to see this motor or an even further de-tuned 1.5T in the standard civic trims to make the future Si seem even more worth it in the power department.
Uhhhhh. No way man!

Maybe Honda could have made the Si have more power in the first place? Instead of making the other trims less competitive?

Exactly, there is nothing wrong with 130 hp in a 2800 lb car.. for basic transportation it would meet 99% of everyone's needs. Who wouldn't want the even better mpg too. I bet Honda is kicking themselves for this.

This is how is should have went IMO

1.0T OR 2.0L for LX DX EX AND hatchback
1.5T Si & Sport Hatchbacks
2.0T CTR.
I guarantee Honda isn't "kicking themselves". Engines make it to certain markets due to demand. Gas is cheap here, so there's no need for a 1.0L 3cyl in a civic and if they did then it would be far behind the competition in power figures. Gas is much more expensive in the UK and European countries so that's why they get the little engine. Everyone is trying to pinch all the MPGs from engines.

I would not have bought the hatch if it had a 1.0L and I don't think the tiny bit extra mpgs is worth the power penalty at all. It's easy for you guys that drive type r's and Si's to say "yeah they should have put the little engine in it". I love my car I wouldn't change it a bit.

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Uhhhhh. No way man!

Maybe Honda could have made the Si have more power in the first place? Instead of making the other trims less competitive?

I guarantee Honda isn't "kicking themselves". Engines make it to certain markets due to demand. Gas is cheap here, so there's no need for a 1.0L 3cyl in a civic and if they did then it would be far behind the competition in power figures. Gas is much more expensive in the UK and European countries so that's why they get the little engine. Everyone is trying to pinch all the MPGs from engines.

I would not have bought the hatch if it had a 1.0L and I don't think the tiny bit extra mpgs is worth the power penalty at all. It's easy for you guys that drive type r's and Si's to say "yeah they should have put the little engine in it". I love my car I wouldn't change it a bit.
Just saying that my 1996 corolla with 115hp is adequate. In an econobox you don’t want lots of power, that’s why I said they should have used 1.5T in Si and sport hatch..

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just saying that my 1996 corolla with 115hp is adequate. In an econobox you don’t want lots of power, that’s why I said they should have used 1.5T in Si and sport hatch..
22 years ago? Sure. But guess what. It’s 2018 not 1996, and I do want lots of power, and I got it, and apparently other people do too because the hatches are selling.... my car is fun as hell to drive and gets best in class fuel economy.... please remind me why I don’t want more power? I can’t think of one reason...

Everything is getting better in cars compared to 22 years ago, cars are safer, bigger, more standard features, why leave the a weak engine in them? Not withstanding that cars are much bigger and weigh more now than your 1996 Corolla, so they do need more oomph to move them.

Edit: typos, I suck at typing on my iPad.

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I think that engine in a Fit would make for a fun to drive car.
Would be much more enjoyable than the 1.5L garbage that's in the current Fit.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely! Would be a cool engine for the fit to have, or maybe a tune it up a little and put it in a fit Si. That would be neat, not sure it would sell enough to make it feaseable for Honda though.

Problem is though I bet that 1.0 3cyl costs more to make, it would put the overall cost of ownership up.... etc. I don’t think you’ll see it in the next fit, but I hope I’m wrong.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, but the 1.5T gets better mpg than your corolla, so why put in a smaller engine than a 1.5? My 99 hatch only gets 33-35mpg on the highway.

Reactions: jeb

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, but the 1.5T gets better mpg than your corolla, so why put in a smaller engine than a 1.5? My 99 hatch only gets 33-35mpg on the highway.
But but but.... No one wants more power and better gas mileage, who would want that? That guy said so, so it must be true.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the 1.0t gets very similar mileage to the 1.5 and considering the small difference in the initial price I don't think it is really worth considering.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No way, but I can see a 1.0T in a Fit or CRZ
All you guys that were saying this engine would be a perfect 'Fit' in the Honda Fit, looks like it will be happening next year.

AutoGuide - 2019 Honda Fit Turbo

I traded my 2015 Fit in for my 2018 Civic turbo. I plan on getting rid of my Civic for this if/when it comes out. I like my Civic but I loved my Fit.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
3 cyl ? Prepare for misfiring like idle vibration . .

motoguy128

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
3 cyl ? Prepare for misfiring like idle vibration . .
Doubt it. All car MFG's have active dampers that can work that out. Plus it will have a counter balancer. Most vibration will be when accelerating, but not much worse than a I-4. 4 cylinder still only have one piston firing at a time and also needs to be counterbalanced. Only an I6, 90 degree V8, and V12 are naturally well balanced.

Bet it's surprisingly smooth at idle. With A/C off my Civic has an noticeable vibration. Idle drops too low and falls under the dampening range of the engine mounts.
Sponsored