2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
We have Continental ContiProContact ContiSeal. So unless you have a blowout, your tire "heals" itself... you might lose a bit of air, but you just need a compressor. Then you go get it fixed.

It's this slime-like substance that fills the puncture and seals it.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather the compressor than having to change the tire for the spare for something like a screw.
I'm not sure I'd try to inflate a damaged tire. The wound is sealed but it isn't meant to be driven on for an extended length of time. Just drive to the nearest tire shop asap.

This lessens the need for a spare but until the tech is more proven I'm still glad to have the spare for now.
Sponsored

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure I'd try to inflate a damaged tire. The wound is sealed but it isn't meant to be driven on for an extended length of time. Just drive to the nearest tire shop asap.

This lessens the need for a spare but until the tech is more proven I'm still glad to have the spare for now.
They're made to be pumped back up. The seal is actually a permanent seal (but I wouldn't trust it to be permanent) and you'd want to reinflate your tire to protect the rims and also for safety. Underinflated tires are actually a safety hazard. Why else would they include a compressor with the models that don't have a spare?

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The better way for a roadside tire repair is to get one of those tire repair patch kits, unmount the tire, install the patch and pump it back up with a portable compressor. More work than the tire repair can, but its just about as good as a quick tire patch job at the tire store.

khory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring, 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe SE Ultimate
They're made to be pumped back up. The seal is actually a permanent seal (but I wouldn't trust it to be permanent) and you'd want to reinflate your tire to protect the rims and also for safety. Underinflated tires are actually a safety hazard. Why else would they include a compressor with the models that don't have a spare?
I wasn't aware they had a compressor included. Good to know.

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport
Country flag
I just removed my spare tire on my Sport Hatch. Trying to get some ideas here to add the support for the floor board besides the laminate or plywood.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern IMG_0576.JPG
I just removed my spare tire on my Sport Hatch. Trying to get some ideas here to add the support for the floor board besides the laminate or plywood.
If your spare is out, you could get more of The corrugated plastic sheet (available at craft and art stores) and support the floor from below.

The simplest way would be to make ribs that move across the floor's corrugated ribs, and then lock them together with cross supports that lock together with slots like in the picture. This wouldn't weigh much at all.

clueless

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatchback
So if one were interested in paying someone to make a better floor that looks as good as the oem floor but was considerably stronger, what kind of shop would I be looking for? I imagine if I just go to my dealership they are going to snicker and tell me to fuck off...

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
So if one were interested in paying someone to make a better floor that looks as good as the oem floor but was considerably stronger, what kind of shop would I be looking for? I imagine if I just go to my dealership they are going to snicker and tell me to fuck off...
I'd go ask either a custom car shop (the kind of place that spells it "Kustom Kar") or a car stereo installer. They're used to building false floors.

They might look at you and wonder why you don't want to do neon and a plexiglass window to show off your amps, or why you don't want a koi pond back there, but they might appreciate a simple task for once.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go ask either a custom car shop (the kind of place that spells it "Kustom Kar") or a car stereo installer. They're used to building false floors.

They might look at you and wonder why you don't want to do neon and a plexiglass window to show off your amps, or why you don't want a koi pond back there, but they might appreciate a simple task for once.
I love this "a koi pond". Hahahahahahahahah!

I wouldn't actually even mind if they could just make me some cubbies to put around the spare or something. I just hate all this wasted space. Then again, I now have the trunk tray, so I'd have to either get a removable floor I can hose down or also design a new trunk tray. Arg.

I first need to solve the headliner rattling around the sunroof, though. THAT's truly infuriating.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love this "a koi pond". Hahahahahahahahah!
:D

I wouldn't actually even mind if they could just make me some cubbies to put around the spare or something. I just hate all this wasted space. Then again, I now have the trunk tray, so I'd have to either get a removable floor I can hose down or also design a new trunk tray. Arg.
I was able to fit my jumper cables under the floor panel, on the right side between two of the foam blocks. I put some of my other items (leather gloves, detailer spray, etc) in other spaces around the spare tire under the floor.

They could be better-organized, and maybe easier to reach, but you can still take advantage of the space.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
:D

I was able to fit my jumper cables under the floor panel, on the right side between two of the foam blocks. I put some of my other items (leather gloves, detailer spray, etc) in other spaces around the spare tire under the floor.

They could be better-organized, and maybe easier to reach, but you can still take advantage of the space.
Yeah I do have some stuff down there. I just wish it was more convenient haha!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I do have some stuff down there. I just wish it was more convenient haha!
An idea for the custom job --

One main panel that sits on the spare tire;
Side panels that are supported underneath, but hinged and open up for extra storage. Make them big enough for rolled-up jumper cables, a can of Fix-A-Flat, a mini tool set, or whatever.

Potentially tricky part: Making those side panels also hinge downwards with the center panel like the current floor does now so that you can lift it all together... BUT (and I'm thinking of this as I type) it may be unnecessary if the center panel opens separately from the side panels.

I'd be a lot more satisfied with the Sport hatchbacks' raised floor if it had extra features like this.

clueless

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring Hatchback
If anyone is interested I paid a stereo shop to reinforce the floor of the hatch for me. End of the day it looks stock but now is sitting in 3/4" plywood. I can flop in there with my full weight and the only thing I worry about is damaging the suspension. The plywood is sitting on the spare tire rim (the foam piece unfortunately had to go). The foam blocks got chopped slightly to keep the floor height the same.

Out the door they basically did it for free minus materials because they also installed my dash cam (didn't feel like doing the wiring for the hatch myself) and tinted the windows at the same time.

bspeed

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl 6 Speed Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
If anyone is interested I paid a stereo shop to reinforce the floor of the hatch for me. End of the day it looks stock but now is sitting in 3/4" plywood. I can flop in there with my full weight and the only thing I worry about is damaging the suspension. The plywood is sitting on the spare tire rim (the foam piece unfortunately had to go). The foam blocks got chopped slightly to keep the floor height the same.

Out the door they basically did it for free minus materials because they also installed my dash cam (didn't feel like doing the wiring for the hatch myself) and tinted the windows at the same time.
You're not going to damage the suspension by hopping in the trunk. The forces exerted during regular driving are considerably more than tossing some weight in the trunk.

I'm 250 lbs and I've slept in the back before. You guys seem to be overreacting. I have hauled tons of other heavy items, fully loaded hatch with no issues whatsoever. The fiberboard is similar to many other cars, doesn't seem out of the ordinary or extra cheap at all. I could see it being an issue if the tire wasn't there since that's part of the structural design of it but like, of course that's the case. I drive a USDM Sport.
Sponsored