2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern

Milo & Miles

Is there anything that won't fit into this car?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Hatch
Here is what I did to my 2017 HB Sport to make the rear trunk floor more solid………

View attachment 38488
2017Civic HB rear deck w cover down (3).jpg

2017 Civic Hatchback Sport (center exhaust)
Plywood (15/32“ thickness, 33 33/4” wide x 31 ¾” deep)
Covers entire spare tire recessed area
Provides solid rear deck floor (lower by 2.75”) and a 1.53 cubic foot subwoofer enclosure
Plywood attached with center bolt and four ¾” long sheet metal screws. Center bolt is M8 1.25 x 90MM long, Home Depot item 887480017687.
Location of sheet metal screws: to avoid issues with the underside of car, put the screws on the left and right side about 2 inches or less from the edge and put the screws more toward the center, avoiding about 10” from the top edge and 5” from the bottom edge (see photo).
If top-mounted, subwoofer driver can be 4 to 4 1/8 inches deep.
Spare tire will no longer fit in the spare recess – store (attached securely) in back area or the back seat floorboard. You can get a vinyl cover for the spare tire.
Stock fiberboard panel can be left in place - remove all 14 foam blocks – no additional modification needed.
Nicely done!
Sponsored

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
This is what the base-model LX Coupe people get. No compressed cardboard here, thankfully.
What happened to your jack handle hook/bar? Looks like its missing in that picture.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Apologies if anyone has suggested this option, but my phone is having trouble with the forum lately.so I can't read all theposts.

If you are handy, you can build an overlay out of glueless laminate flooring. It's lighter and stronger than plywood, the finish is nicer, no splinters, and it's easier to install/take out the floor because you can move one board at a time rather than the whole floor. As you put it in, just lock it into the previous board and it's as solid floor for whatever horizontal needs you may have. :D

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
When the rear floor on my Sport Touring finally wears out (I hope to keep the car long enough), I'll try to fabricate some carbon fiber plates as a replacement. ;)
Can you let me know how this goes for you? I'd buy one off of you.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah haha normally I would consider the trunk tray a solution but then I wouldn't be able to lay down on the the back if it ever came up!

Oh wow, I never thought of that myself....without a spare tire, the floor is effectively support-less and will just cave down into the compartment? Hnnnghhhh this is a big no no. Unless the tool block holds it up. Like I said though, I have to see for myself the next time I visit the dealership. Salesman said he'd call me whenever they get a Sport Touring delivered.
Yeah, eh?! What's the point of the spare if I have to leave anything in my trunk on the side of the road? And the original tire doesn't fit in the spare well, so that'll probably crack the floor too.

Also, the Sport Touring comes with run flats. Why not just give us a patch kit and pump, like in Europe? And if you're in Canada, it comes with 5 years of roadside, so why would you even bother with the spare (get it towed on a flatbed instead!)

Anyone have a solution for this annoyingly flimsy trunk floor?

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Apologies if anyone has suggested this option, but my phone is having trouble with the forum lately.so I can't read all theposts.

If you are handy, you can build an overlay out of glueless laminate flooring. It's lighter and stronger than plywood, the finish is nicer, no splinters, and it's easier to install/take out the floor because you can move one board at a time rather than the whole floor. As you put it in, just lock it into the previous board and it's as solid floor for whatever horizontal needs you may have. :D
Oh this is actually a really really cool idea. I guess you'd just have to be good at measuring and cutting it to shape, but I like this.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't have that many foam blocks. The wheel well is filled with the grey utility foam and the floor rests on that. It feels solid when I load something.
You must have the European model without the spare. Otherwise, if what's in your photos covers the spare, where are you from? I think we'll all order some of those grey utility foam fillers from you if you're willing to grab them from a local dealer and ship them to us.

In North America, we get a crappy cardboard floor with blocks of foam like 8-10 cm high to act as pillars. It's a really flimsy setup here.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You must have the European model without the spare. Otherwise, if what's in your photos covers the spare, where are you from? I think we'll all order some of those grey utility foam fillers from you if you're willing to grab them from a local dealer and ship them to us.

In North America, we get a crappy cardboard floor with blocks of foam like 8-10 cm high to act as pillars. It's a really flimsy setup here.
Indeed, I am and also no spare. Belgium, Europe.

I saw it, looks realy stupid and cheap that way.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, I am and also no spare. Belgium, Europe.

I saw it, looks realy stupid and cheap that way.
Agreed. I don't get why there's a spare anyway. We have run flat tires and in Canada the thing comes with 5 years of roadside.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh this is actually a really really cool idea. I guess you'd just have to be good at measuring and cutting it to shape, but I like this.
WE
Jusr make a cardboard or paper template in the car first, then lay out a square of the flooring a bit bigger than the template. Trace the template onto the flooring, then you can cut each individual board.

Protip: number the individual boards before taking them apart for cutting. Makes it easier to reassemble the puzzle when you are done.

This is how I've gone about installing laminate flooring in small spaces like closets here at Browncoat Manor. :thumbsup:

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WE
Jusr make a cardboard or paper template in the car first, then lay out a square of the flooring a bit bigger than the template. Trace the template onto the flooring, then you can cut each individual board.

Protip: number the individual boards before taking them apart for cutting. Makes it easier to reassemble the puzzle when you are done.

This is how I've gone about installing laminate flooring in small spaces like closets here at Browncoat Manor. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I could look for some nice gunstock coloured too! This won't just be useful, it'll also look really great!

You've just given me a cool project for summer! Thanks a ton!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
We have run-flat tires? That's news to me.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I have to say I'm amazed by the junk you can squeeze into the spare area not covered by the foam blocks or spare tire/tool foam... I have a small tool set that I used to store under the driver's seat (put it from the back seat) and just added a Noco GB40 jump starter pack in a storage case as well plus a GTE Lugstrong wrench cause the wimpy factory lug wrench is going to give you grief if you ever need to change the tire. So all my tools are totally out of sight and not taking up any room in the car.

justinjspog

Civic Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We have run-flat tires? That's news to me.
We have Continental ContiProContact ContiSeal. So unless you have a blowout, your tire "heals" itself... you might lose a bit of air, but you just need a compressor. Then you go get it fixed.

It's this slime-like substance that fills the puncture and seals it.

Don't know about you, but I'd rather the compressor than having to change the tire for the spare for something like a screw.
Sponsored