2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Mirage De coupe 2003
Country flag
Hey guys, i'm sure you all have your gripes with the trunk floor of all the Hatchback trims right now. The trims that don't have the center-line exhaust result in a slightly bigger (lower floor) trunk space and a very, very nice and sturdy feeling retractable-folding floor that houses the spare tire. However the downside is that there is a ramp between the trunk space and where the folding seats begin. In my opinion this really sucks because who doesn't want to use the hatchback space as a bed to rest on sometime? The utility and possibility of the Hatch sells itself.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern Honda-Civic-Hatchback-2017_009

When you go for the Sport or the Sport Touring though, the centerline exhaust means there's less space to house the spare tire, which is why the floor is moved up a bit and results in a tad less space in the back. This actually solves the ramp problem because now there isn't a big differential in height for the seats and the trunk floor....but the new problem is how makeshift the new trunk floor is. I checked out the lower trim Hatch yesterday and the floor of the trunk is very solid and durable-feeling, but videos of the Sport Touring trunk floor look like it's some flimsy piece of carpet-like sheet that is held in place by blocks of foam. The trunk floor in its entirety is just a flimsy-looking, carpet-like sheet held up by blocks.of.foam.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern 2017-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-Touring-cargo

(Couldn't find the all-important picture showing the thin flooring and foam blocks underneath)

The regular floor felt solid, durable and looked like something becoming of a car. Heck, the retractable-fold was only a square section of the floor to boot. It's excellent and gets the job done. The Sport Touring looks like such an ugly makeshift school project though....I haven't seen the Sport Touring trunk myself to confirm this, but i'd like to hear your observations for those who own the ST or have checked it out.

TL;DR The Sport Touring trunk floor is a makeshift carpet-sheet compared to the sturdy, durable and satisfyingly designed floor of the lower trims. Is it a big deal for you?

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
It doesn't look good when you lift it up and the one side that has to clear bends over, but when its down, the strength is not a problem... the tire/tool block gives it rigidity and structure. And there's space to stuff things between the foam blocks. But yeah, you're not wrong in that it looks more like an afterthought design. In some other markets they just give a repair kit though, that's the price of having the spare tire.

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
holy crap I didn't realize I gave up that much trunk floor for my Sport Touring

I actually just cracked my particle board floor when I forgot I removed my spare tire and pressed against the floor to investigate a rattle. Next project now is to build something to make the bottom a new compartment (I'm not a fan of carrying spare tires - so much weight)

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would have certainly never noticed without your investigation. It is annoying to think about how our Sport Tourings are shorted depth because of the exhaust and we're also given a thinner flooring material. I'm half tempted to go to Lowe's and buy a 1/16 or 1/8 inch plywood and cut it down so that it would fit underneath the stock "floor". I wonder if you took the floor out and stapled the carpet to the plywood would be enough to hold it together while not being so visible. But what am I kidding, I have the trunk tray anyway!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
When the rear floor on my Sport Touring finally wears out (I hope to keep the car long enough), I'll try to fabricate some carbon fiber plates as a replacement. ;)

OP
OP

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow i'm actually pretty surprised that many didn't know there was a different trunk-floor design for their Sport Tourings. I guess I only came across this myself after having watched nearly every review video in youtube for Civic sedans and hatchbacks of each trim model. Needless to say i'm pretty obsessed with this car (although my hype has certainly died down).

OP
OP

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would have certainly never noticed without your investigation. It is annoying to think about how our Sport Tourings are shorted depth because of the exhaust and we're also given a thinner flooring material. I'm half tempted to go to Lowe's and buy a 1/16 or 1/8 inch plywood and cut it down so that it would fit underneath the stock "floor". I wonder if you took the floor out and stapled the carpet to the plywood would be enough to hold it together while not being so visible. But what am I kidding, I have the trunk tray anyway!
Yeah haha normally I would consider the trunk tray a solution but then I wouldn't be able to lay down on the the back if it ever came up!

holy crap I didn't realize I gave up that much trunk floor for my Sport Touring

I actually just cracked my particle board floor when I forgot I removed my spare tire and pressed against the floor to investigate a rattle. Next project now is to build something to make the bottom a new compartment (I'm not a fan of carrying spare tires - so much weight)
Oh wow, I never thought of that myself....without a spare tire, the floor is effectively support-less and will just cave down into the compartment? Hnnnghhhh this is a big no no. Unless the tool block holds it up. Like I said though, I have to see for myself the next time I visit the dealership. Salesman said he'd call me whenever they get a Sport Touring delivered.

Priceless_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback ST 2007 Silverado 2500HD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah haha normally I would consider the trunk tray a solution but then I wouldn't be able to lay down on the the back if it ever came up!

I've considered the possibility of sleeping in my car but I'm kind of surprised we're talking about sleeping in our $20k + cars lol I guess I'd have to be in the middle of no where or broke to sleep back there.

I promise I'm not hating on our own cars! It's convenient to have it as an option at least lol Maybe Honda should advertise it!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Oh wow, I never thought of that myself....without a spare tire, the floor is effectively support-less and will just cave down into the compartment? Hnnnghhhh this is a big no no.
It's the same way with most cars that keep spare tires in the back floor.

You can either leave the spare tire in there or replace it with a proper subwoofer...

OP
OP

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lol. OP is low-key asking how we can make the hatchback rear space more comfortable and sturdy for f*cking.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

nah lol I just really hate having something expensive that has anything makeshift, especially if it's for something important like cargo. Grinds my gears yo

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I did kind of think it was flimsy and crappy. Shaving the foam blocks to the right height was my challenge. Here's what my sub-floor looks like now. :)
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Storage floor concern 2017-Honda-Civic-Hatchback-Sport-Touring-cargo

thisnismine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civc EX-L
I like the flat look from the sport trims but it's just way to flimsy compared to the lower trims. Has anyone measured or have the dimensions on both hatchbacks? I can only find the cargo volume.

OP
OP

NeedThatHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I like the flat look from the sport trims but it's just way to flimsy compared to the lower trims. Has anyone measured or have the dimensions on both hatchbacks? I can only find the cargo volume.
Well I mean the cargo volume is what definitely matters. It's THE measurement of how much space you can fit in. Dimensions would be the same thing but non-simplified. If it helps, it's literally just a few inches increased (and therefor reduced space) in height, strictly from the cargo floor getting lifted up.
Sponsored