2017 Hatchback Smart Entry issue.......anybody experience this yet......

Brooklyn42

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Honda Civic Ex-T
I have 2017 EX-T for almost 2 months now and was washing my car with the key in my pocket and all of a sudden I can't use the proximity unlock on any door or the trunk
Buttons work and proxy will unlock after pushing buttons but won't again after moving away from car
I took it to the dealer and he mentioned having to remove the battery cables to try and reset it. I did not have this done yet but they will take the car in next week for this and to fix noise on rear deck lid
Sponsored

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just reporting in that mine is still working as expected following the battery cable reset trick I tried months ago. I'm due for 15k mile service, so I'm going to ask about the BCM still.

jchoi112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
mine stopped working 4 days ago. i removed the negative battery terminal for 30 secs. it worked fined until this morning. smart entry wont work again

canerka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
forester civic
mine stopped working couple days ago called american honda and they checked if there is any firmware update going on but the answer was no. according to internet, there is an issue and honda is not aware of the issue or care.

OOTN 2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
. . . . smart entry does not work like it should, got a 2017 civic hatchback EX. Perimeter lock works walking away no problem, beeps and all. All the functions on the key FOB work... However, when I approach the vehicle and put my hand on the handle to open the car it does not recognize my hand. However, if I use the lock button once approaching the car it does work.? It's been like this from day one. Several days at the dealership, replacing the key fobs didn't work, now they're going deeper trying to figure out what the problem is with the system using Honda tech support but no solution yet.

***Thanks everybody for their input. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds fixed the problem after all, and it's holding………….. hope everybody has been able to use this fix as well.
It may have something to do with Hatch EX sitting at the dealership, test-driven on and off, many drivers, styles of driving, erratic button pushing and touching everything on screen and car system settings hang eventually needing reboot.
Does anyone know what happens when you hold the audio power button for a reset? Besides hopefully correcting any issues that needed to be reset, does it put all of your radio stations back to default? Serious XM stations? trip miles etc?

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too just had the issue where the touch to unlock stopped working after being parked for a while, disconnected battery and it's been fine for 3 days now. It happened after washing the car with fob in my pocket, It kept beeping and locking and unlocking randomly, I think it was mainly when I sprayed around the door handles. Anyway I'll put the fob away next time I wash it. Hopefully it doesn't happen again..

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know what happens when you hold the audio power button for a reset? Besides hopefully correcting any issues that needed to be reset, does it put all of your radio stations back to default? Serious XM stations? trip miles etc?
I've had a frozen screen a few times & resetting with the audio button fixes it without it going to default settings so you should be fine.

PGrif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L w/Nav
Country flag
It has been three months, and my 2nd reset seems to be holding. I haven't had any issues since, and have washed it countless times and have driven through all types of weather. I am praying the issue is done, since I am completely used to placing my hand in the handle and gaining immediate açcess to the car... to the point that I feel foolish when I try the same thing (repeatedly) with my company car, and stand there dumbfounded when it won't open. :)

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic EX 5-Dr Hatchback, 1994 Chevy Silverado Full-Size Std Cabin, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Full-Size Quad Cabin, 2004 Toyota Tacoma Std 2-Dr Pick-up, 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, 2017 Nissan Fronteir S King Cab
Country flag
Finally had my Proximity Entry stop working twice yesterday. Interesting enough, both times were after having to handle a microwave. Both times, I ended up helping some clients re-install their microwaves onto the wall mount. When going back to the car the car cannot detect the FOB in my pocket. Microwave was not on when installing but did have the weight sitting on the FOB in my pocket while my helper fed the wire through the Cabinets above the Microwave. Could it be that having a device nearby that may emit certain frequencies can mess up the Antenna on the FOB?

stbobc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi
My 2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L Navi had this same problem. Smart Entry not being too smart - not responding to the hand touch on the door handles to unlock doors.

Manley Honda in Santa Rosa replaced BCM using an updated BCM. Programmed the new BCM to the immobilizer system and verified both keys started vehicle. I believe that BCM = Body Control Module.

Day one - working perfectly. Hoping it stays that way!

Thank you for this valuable thread.

Update: August 2017 now - approximately 6 months after the BCM was replaced and no problems! So far so good - it is working perfectly.

stbobc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi
L

Please keep us posted... I'll be knocking at their door if yours keeps working after a month.
August now - 4 months after the repair and all is well. BCM (Body Control Module) replacement seems to have done the trick! Both doors and hatchback lid had all been affected and all are continuing to work perfectly.

muzso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 5D (Hatchback) 1.0 EX-L 6MT
Country flag
Hi! Am I correct that no software patch is known to be around from Honda for the Smart Entry issue, so we're still waiting since November 2016 to get this fixed? And as far as disconnecting and reconnecting the battery is concerned, it doesn't solve the problem for all affected vehicles for the long term, because it can reappear?

Apart from this being an issue, you should know that most probably the Civic's Smart Entry (keyless open/start) feature is just as much vulnerable, as all the others. Check out this short video from ADAS from 2016:

The Honda HR-V was tested and found vulnerable to the keyfob signal amplification attack and I suspect that the Civic uses the same solution (manufacturer) ... or at least the same technology. Is there a way to disable the Smart Entry feature alltogether on the Civic? According to the official Smart Entry specification (http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Hatchback/features/Smart-Entry) the range should be 32 inches (81 cm) which is pretty short, but ...
  1. I don't think that this is the actual range. I'll have to test it once my Civic arrives (ordered it on Saturday :) ).
  2. Even if it is, it's "far enough" for the attack to work. You could sit down in a cafe (as demonstrated in the ADAS video) and somebody sits down on the chair next to you with an amplifier in the pocket. Her/his accomplice has to be merely within 90m ... and that's merely the range the researchers tested. I'm sure that thiefs can get this up to a lot higher range.

So basically we're pretty much unprotected against thiefs stealing our keyfob signals ... and by extension our car. :(

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback EX 2017
Country flag
Update - mine stopped working again last night. Will go to my dealership this coming monday. I have done the battey reset in the past around March 2017 but then this week the body shop that fixed my car left something on in my car that drained the battery so dealership had to recharge it and remove all warnings that kept popping.

Dredogol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Yes,

Someone else posted about this same issue with their 2016 Civic.
I went to my dealership, and they said they saw the same problem.
In my case... after 60+sec the door handle would not recognize my hand, nor would pushing the hatch button open the trunk.
Also, after 60+sec of keeping the car unlocked, the trunk button was non-responsive.
You had to do something (lock/unlock) for anything to respond again... worked... but not after 60+sec.

Solution:
Have your Body Control Unit (BCU) replaced.

Make sure to take BOTH of your FOB in, because they will need to reprogram your FOBs to the new control unit.

So far... issue was not come back.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback EX 2017
Country flag
Yes,

Someone else posted about this same issue with their 2016 Civic.
I went to my dealership, and they said they saw the same problem.
In my case... after 60+sec the door handle would not recognize my hand, nor would pushing the hatch button open the trunk.
Also, after 60+sec of keeping the car unlocked, the trunk button was non-responsive.
You had to do something (lock/unlock) for anything to respond again... worked... but not after 60+sec.

Solution:
Have your Body Control Unit (BCU) replaced.

Make sure to take BOTH of your FOB in, because they will need to reprogram your FOBs to the new control unit.

So far... issue was not come back.
yep same thing as mine. unfortunately there's really no fix and we just decided to reset my battery again. so this is the second reset. i'll see how long it'll last then maybe for the third time i can have them change the bcu.
Sponsored