2017 Hatchback Smart Entry issue.......anybody experience this yet......

PGrif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L w/Nav
Country flag
The "Disconnecting Battery" solution may be temporary.
I was one of the people who disconnected the battery and was pleased to report that it solved the problem.
Sadly, after approximately 3 weeks, the problem returned.

Moreover, I continue to experience other anomalies. For instance, about two weeks ago, my Civic wouldn't lock; not with the button on the door handle, and not with the remote either. The only way I could lock the car was to open the door and use the interior lock switch. This behavior continued for about 2 hours while I was running errands (in-and-out of the car). Then the next day, it was working properly again.

I swear, one of the reasons I bought a HONDA was to get a quality product and avoid all these little bugs and glitches.

I hope others are more lucky.
Bummer... mine is still working, but now I'll spend all my time wondering when it'll stop. One of the earlier posts lists a Honda main phone number wherein you can get a case number and be notified when there is a fix. I would suggest you do that; I plan to the second mine acts up again. That way it will document the issue prior to warranty expiration in addition to any documentation you have through your dealer repair shop.
Sponsored

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I got out of my car and went to the hatch. Wouldn't open. Go back to drivers seat and error message on dash says keyless entry not detected, but I had it in my pockey. I even put it on the dash and no change. I had to manually press the lock/unlock button. Then the message went away the returned only to go off again. I just dont want to accidentally leave the keyfob in the car and the car allow me to lock it. Weird. I just installed a powered sub and just hoping my grounding bolt isnt causing this issue. I used a bolt that secures a little box in the spare tire compartment on my hatch ex.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback EX 2017
Country flag
I know most of you guys are having issues with trying to enter by puttingyour hand on the door handle. I also experienced that for the first time today. Not only that, I also locked myself out of the car. I went to DMV earlier to exchange my plate for the vanity one that I ordered, going back to the car I tried opening the hatch first but it didn't work so I unlocked the car and opened the hatch, I decided to put my bag inside while putting the new plates on the hatch. By the way my key fob was in the bag, I was confident that it wouldn't lock since my fob was inside. I hear a beeping sound a minute or two after, but I disregarded it since the beeping sound that it made was usually the beeping sound you would hear when you leave your key fob inside your car. Like a reminder. So I continued putting my new plate and when I was done I decided to open the trunk to put the front plate but to no avail it wouldn't open. So I tried to open the driver side by putting my hand on the door handle but of course it will not work since my fob is in the trunk. I ended up calling roadside assistance to help me open the car. This was the first
time this ever happened to me. I called my dealership to ask but the service guy didn't exactly know what to say. I tried calling again later in the afternoon and the guy I spoke to said that it was very unusual for the car to lock since the key fob is inside. I also posted this on a facebook group for 10th gen honda and most of them also said the same thing, that it shouldn't be the case for the car to lock. I'm just wondering if any of you has experienced this? Also, ever since this mishap happened this morning, I noticed that my car sometimes doesn't do the walking away lock anymore and opening via the door handle by putting your hand. It's been on and off since i got locked out of my car. Sometimes it would work but then it wouldnt then I would do the locking using the fob then it would open by putting your hand and then it wont when you walk away after a couple of seconds. It's annoying. It sucks coz we paid good money to have all of these features. I have a schedule with my dealership on Friday hopefully they give a fix but with what I've read here, my expectations are low. So I'll probably recommend them to remove the battery like some of you guys did. Pls let me know if any of you has experienced being locked out of your car thru the trunk. Thanks!

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I could have been locked out a time or two myself. Make sure you keep your key on your person. These bugs are frustrating. I may just trade my ex hatch on a GTI next year if they cant get this stuff straightened out.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I could have been locked out a time or two myself. Make sure you keep your key on your person. These bugs are frustrating. I may just trade my ex hatch on a GTI next year if they cant get this stuff straightened out.
But isn't it, it shouldn't do that, correct? Regardless of where the fob was inside.

Steven H

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
But isn't it, it shouldn't do that, correct? Regardless of where the fob was inside.
It should detect the key within 6 feet of the car (I think) and most definitely if it's inside.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It should detect the key within 6 feet of the car (I think) and most definitely if it's inside.
Thanks! I dropped my car off to my dealership this AM. Hopefully they will be able to resolve it.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keep us updated.
I will. But I'm not getting my hopes up coz they said it is the first time someone complained about it on their dealership. If all else fails I will just do what most of the guys here did - which is to remvoe the negative battery.

raibola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Okay, just an update.. so I went to my dealership this morning (Honda RSM) to have them do oil change (the first one is complimentary) and check my issues with my keyless entry like most of you are experiencing. I feel like they didn't take me seriously. I told the service guy earlier the best way I can to explain what my car problem is, which is the door handle doesn't unlock when you put your hand. Just the unlocking is the problem. Walking away lock works and locking using fob is fine. So before I left my car I told him if they can't find a fix, remove the negative terminal like most of you guys did. Which he said yes to. And then I got a call from them that the car is ready so I asked how it went. The guy I spoke to said that they're trying to see if it was the after market car alarm that's pre installed (which they offer when you buy the car) that's causing the interference. Because he said if he calls Honda and the first thing they ask if there's an after market alarm on the car, they will just suggest to remove it. So He suggested to have it removed first and see what happens after and I was like, "i'll observe first how my car is after you guys removed the battery. Coz i've had this car for 3 mos now and 5000+ miles and the extra car alarm has been there all this time and I did not even have it working coz I did not purchase it."

So I went to pick my car this afternoon and to my surprise all my presets and settings are still the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but most people here who tried resetting by disconnecting the battery had their system go back to default. So yeah, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt since when i tested the keyless entry it was working while on the parking of the dealership. But when i got home, i parked my car on the garage and decided to go back after 10 mins. Of course, keyless entry by putting your hand on the door handle still wont work. So my instinct was right. So i went and call the service guy I was speaking to when I picked up my car. By the way this was not the service guy that helped me in the morning when I dropped my car off. So The first thing i did was to ask him if the system goes back to default when you remove the battery and he goes on a safe answer and says that it depends on how long you remove it and what car you have blah blah blah. I already had a bad feeling the convo wont end in a good note. Then i started relaying to him what i just did. Like how the handle wont respond when you try to open it after a couple of mins of walking away lock or locking using the fob. Then he starts saying "oh, you didn't mention that earlier" and I was like, what are you saying? I've been mentioning that earlier non stop. So it got me frustrated already coz obviously he's trying to flip it on me that i didnt relay my problem properly. He said that he assumed it was the remote i was talking about. And I was like, the remote is perfectly fine. It's the car that's not responding to it. So yeah he tried to make it look like im the one who's not giving the right info. Then he started saying that there's nothing they can do and I have to wait for a software patch. And then it got me more mad coz earlier he was talking about the car alarm that might be causing the problem but he didnt mention anything about the software patch. And then I asked him shouldn't you guys report this to Honda? And he was like, if you want to speed up the process you would have to do it yourself and I was like, isn't it you guys who are supposed to report this since you're like the one who checked and they would take it more seriously since the issue has been checked by your service. And he was like, no. Because i'm not the one who made your car blah blah blah. And then i tried to calm myself down and asked him if im the first one that came to their dealership regarding this problem. He said no. There was another guy that has the same problem with the hatch and he said Honda is aware of it but it will take sometime and just have to keep checking for the software patch from time to time.

I felt like he was just reading the copy of this thread that I printed out. Because before I left earlier I gave him a copy of some of the pages of this thread wherein another member posted a letter from Honda recognizing the issue and they're working on it to have the issue resolved.

Aside from that, take note: i asked them On the fone a couple of days ago if anyone has come to them regarding this issue but he said no. So it kinda sucks knowing that they're not consistent with their answers and it makes you think twice trusting them. So yeah, i will try to remove the battery myself with the help of my uncle and see the difference. Im not going back to them after. I will try to go to Autonation Costa Mesa if the problem still persists but I kinda have a feeling that it will be okay once we do it. So cross fingers. Im from Socal by the way so if any of you here who's around the area and knows a good dealership that wont give you bs regarding issues on your car, pls let me know. My sister has Honda and she has been going to the Autonation in Costa Mesa that's why i will try there next time. So yeah i know this is long but it just sucks when you're trying to ask help on the people that you thought were suppose to help you. I know keyless entry is one of their features that they brag about when they try to sell the car so im not gonna let it pass coz we're paying good money to have this kind of features then it will just be useless after a couple of months, some after a week or two. It's disappointing.

MikeJXWT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic EX 5-Dr Hatchback, 1994 Chevy Silverado Full-Size Std Cabin, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Full-Size Quad Cabin, 2004 Toyota Tacoma Std 2-Dr Pick-up, 2017 Toyota Corolla LE, 2017 Nissan Fronteir S King Cab
Country flag
Okay, just an update.. so I went to my dealership this morning (Honda RSM) to have them do oil change (the first one is complimentary) and check my issues with my keyless entry like most of you are experiencing. I feel like they didn't take me seriously. I told the service guy earlier the best way I can to explain what my car problem is, which is the door handle doesn't unlock when you put your hand. Just the unlocking is the problem. Walking away lock works and locking using fob is fine. So before I left my car I told him if they can't find a fix, remove the negative terminal like most of you guys did. Which he said yes to. And then I got a call from them that the car is ready so I asked how it went. The guy I spoke to said that they're trying to see if it was the after market car alarm that's pre installed (which they offer when you buy the car) that's causing the interference. Because he said if he calls Honda and the first thing they ask if there's an after market alarm on the car, they will just suggest to remove it. So He suggested to have it removed first and see what happens after and I was like, "i'll observe first how my car is after you guys removed the battery. Coz i've had this car for 3 mos now and 5000+ miles and the extra car alarm has been there all this time and I did not even have it working coz I did not purchase it."

So I went to pick my car this afternoon and to my surprise all my presets and settings are still the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but most people here who tried resetting by disconnecting the battery had their system go back to default. So yeah, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt since when i tested the keyless entry it was working while on the parking of the dealership. But when i got home, i parked my car on the garage and decided to go back after 10 mins. Of course, keyless entry by putting your hand on the door handle still wont work. So my instinct was right. So i went and call the service guy I was speaking to when I picked up my car. By the way this was not the service guy that helped me in the morning when I dropped my car off. So The first thing i did was to ask him if the system goes back to default when you remove the battery and he goes on a safe answer and says that it depends on how long you remove it and what car you have blah blah blah. I already had a bad feeling the convo wont end in a good note. Then i started relaying to him what i just did. Like how the handle wont respond when you try to open it after a couple of mins of walking away lock or locking using the fob. Then he starts saying "oh, you didn't mention that earlier" and I was like, what are you saying? I've been mentioning that earlier non stop. So it got me frustrated already coz obviously he's trying to flip it on me that i didnt relay my problem properly. He said that he assumed it was the remote i was talking about. And I was like, the remote is perfectly fine. It's the car that's not responding to it. So yeah he tried to make it look like im the one who's not giving the right info. Then he started saying that there's nothing they can do and I have to wait for a software patch. And then it got me more mad coz earlier he was talking about the car alarm that might be causing the problem but he didnt mention anything about the software patch. And then I asked him shouldn't you guys report this to Honda? And he was like, if you want to speed up the process you would have to do it yourself and I was like, isn't it you guys who are supposed to report this since you're like the one who checked and they would take it more seriously since the issue has been checked by your service. And he was like, no. Because i'm not the one who made your car blah blah blah. And then i tried to calm myself down and asked him if im the first one that came to their dealership regarding this problem. He said no. There was another guy that has the same problem with the hatch and he said Honda is aware of it but it will take sometime and just have to keep checking for the software patch from time to time.

I felt like he was just reading the copy of this thread that I printed out. Because before I left earlier I gave him a copy of some of the pages of this thread wherein another member posted a letter from Honda recognizing the issue and they're working on it to have the issue resolved.

Aside from that, take note: i asked them On the fone a couple of days ago if anyone has come to them regarding this issue but he said no. So it kinda sucks knowing that they're not consistent with their answers and it makes you think twice trusting them. So yeah, i will try to remove the battery myself with the help of my uncle and see the difference. Im not going back to them after. I will try to go to Autonation Costa Mesa if the problem still persists but I kinda have a feeling that it will be okay once we do it. So cross fingers. Im from Socal by the way so if any of you here who's around the area and knows a good dealership that wont give you bs regarding issues on your car, pls let me know. My sister has Honda and she has been going to the Autonation in Costa Mesa that's why i will try there next time. So yeah i know this is long but it just sucks when you're trying to ask help on the people that you thought were suppose to help you. I know keyless entry is one of their features that they brag about when they try to sell the car so im not gonna let it pass coz we're paying good money to have this kind of features then it will just be useless after a couple of months, some after a week or two. It's disappointing.
That's a bummer, hopefully it works for you when you try it yourself. It's been working fine for me since the day I reset it. Only thing I can note is that my Proximity Entry started acting up after a few days straight of random heavy door pours all day. My dealership scrubbed me off a few times as well but after complaining about it to my sales associate about a dozen times she finally had their techs look at it. They tried factory resetting the computer and disconnecting the Karr Alarm, neither worked but disconnecting the battery did. I have 3 other friends with the EX-T Sedan and have had no issues. As a side note they park their cars in or under a sheltered structure while mine is on the drive way.

oshgo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe
That's a bummer, hopefully it works for you when you try it yourself. It's been working fine for me since the day I reset it. Only thing I can note is that my Proximity Entry started acting up after a few days straight of random heavy door pours all day. My dealership scrubbed me off a few times as well but after complaining about it to my sales associate about a dozen times she finally had their techs look at it. They tried factory resetting the computer and disconnecting the Karr Alarm, neither worked but disconnecting the battery did. I have 3 other friends with the EX-T Sedan and have had no issues. As a side note they park their cars in or under a sheltered structure while mine is on the drive way.

oshgo3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe
I had been dealing with this issue for month or so. My 2016 Civic had 9000 miles on it and would not unlock the drivers door 1 out of the 3 times I tried. The passenger door and trunk would unlock, but not the drivers door. I took it to my local dealer and they duplicated the problem but told me that they had no idea what was causing it. I went directly home and called Honda 1-800-999-1009. I told them the story and they gave me a case number. The next day my local dealer called and asked if I would bring it back in, I did. First they eliminated the Fob, then with the help of their tech line they pinpointed the load relay for unlock as the issue. The relay (located above the fuse box ?) and the under dash fuse box assembly (#38200-TBA-A01) were replaced and I haven't had an issue since. I hope this helps someone.

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my 2017 EX hatchback on February 12. Touch to unlock has been working perfectly fine this whole time. Took it in for 7500 mile service this past Wednesday, and when I got it back Friday, it's exhibiting the same symptoms you all have been experiencing. Touching the door handles does nothing now unless I first lock the car with the FOB. I'm going to try the battery trick here in a few, but I also will mention the unlock relay to my dealer when I call in Monday on this. Thanks for all the sharing of experiences on this!

UPDATE: Pulled the negative battery cable for 30 seconds then reconnected and VOILA! Working again as it should be! Oddly, I didn't lose ANY of my settings on my radio/info unit. I did get the initialization message on my main gauge screen, drove around the block a couple of times to get the GPS calibrated, and that went away. But was surprised when I checked my radio presets and Bluetooth to see nothing had to be reset. Even my custom background screen was still there.

So to the guy who thought the service department didn't pull the battery terminal because his settings were still there... In my case at least, that didn't reset my settings... So those must be backed up to the flash memory in the head unit (same memory that records your SXM stream while you're on a call).

Last edited:

itbedave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just wanted to comment that your issues appears a little different than the others. Re-reading your post, you are saying only your driver's-side door handle was malfunctioning, but not the passenger door or trunk, correct?

In my case (and I believe the others reported here) NO door handles nor the hatch registers touch to unlock.

I just wanted to clarify because your fix sounds more specific to the one handle malfunctioning, while the issue originally raised appears to affect ALL touch entry points simultaneously. But thanks for the info still!

I had been dealing with this issue for month or so. My 2016 Civic had 9000 miles on it and would not unlock the drivers door 1 out of the 3 times I tried. The passenger door and trunk would unlock, but not the drivers door. I took it to my local dealer and they duplicated the problem but told me that they had no idea what was causing it. I went directly home and called Honda 1-800-999-1009. I told them the story and they gave me a case number. The next day my local dealer called and asked if I would bring it back in, I did. First they eliminated the Fob, then with the help of their tech line they pinpointed the load relay for unlock as the issue. The relay (located above the fuse box ?) and the under dash fuse box assembly (#38200-TBA-A01) were replaced and I haven't had an issue since. I hope this helps someone.
Sponsored