2017 Hatchback Smart Entry issue.......anybody experience this yet......

PGrif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX-L w/Nav
Country flag
I've had my hatch for a bit over 2 months, and this still hasn't happened to me. I guess I'm lucky?
I would guess that the problem is fairly rare. It's not specific to any one type of Civ, just that it's Ex+, 2016+, and most likely those with Nav. Comsidering the number of cars sold that fit those parameters, and the very few that have had issues, some of us were just unlucky. I'd say that, if you haven't had the issue, you most likely won't. :) Happy motoring!
Sponsored

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I have not had an issue since the last time it happened a few weeks ago...
I did notice that the only times I did have a problem, it was during some very inclement weather, be it rain or snow...
The first time I washed my Civic it chirped as soon as I sprayed water on it. It took a second to realize water activates the touch-sensitive handles (when key fob is near) and it was not just thanking me for the wash. :rolleyes: Otherwise, I have not encountered any issues on my hatch with the touch-sensitive handles.

OP
OP
vctwhitepearl

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
I would guess that the problem is fairly rare. It's not specific to any one type of Civ, just that it's Ex+, 2016+, and most likely those with Nav. Comsidering the number of cars sold that fit those parameters, and the very few that have had issues, some of us were just unlucky. I'd say that, if you haven't had the issue, you most likely won't. :) Happy motoring!
Thanks everybody for their input. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds fixed the problem after all, and it's holding………….. hope everybody has been able to use this fix as well.

JermLloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Friday will be 2 weeks since I reset it, and it's still working well. I drive a lot for work and am in and out of the car a dozen or more times a day.

chard31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Funny story...
I leave my house and walk to the Hatchback and try to open the door...
Nothing happens...
Damn software glitch!
I walk to the passenger side and try that door...
NOTHING! GRRR!
Oh well, guess I'll have to open it with the smart key button...
Yea, yea, yea... You guessed it!
I left the smart key in the house...
DHE strikes again!!! {Damn Human Error}

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
Funny story...
Nothing happens...
Damn software glitch!
NOTHING! GRRR!
Us network/sys admins call it layer 8. :)

PGrif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Funny story...
Nothing happens...
Damn software glitch!
NOTHING! GRRR!
Ha! That's awesome! :)

JermLloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny story...
Nothing happens...
Damn software glitch!
NOTHING! GRRR!
I got upset the other day because my auto-lock stopped working. All day I was upset about it. When I got home I was getting my stuff out and found my wife's key in the passenger door...

SharpSeeEr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I've had my 2017 Hatch for less than a month, and it's been doing this since I had it. Didn't quite seem right, and like someone else mentioned, I don't want to have to use my key fob at all! I am SUPER spoiled. :)

Thankfully I found this thread. I disconnected my battery this morning for about 5 minutes, reconnected, started the car, drove down the street to finish the system initialization, then parked and locked it. 15 minutes later I put my hand on the door handle and it unlocked! So the battery fix worked for me. Here's hoping the issue stays fixed. Thanks for all this help!

PGrif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update... I hope. I bought my car in November. The Smart Entry quit working by the time I got it home, a 400 mile trip. Took it in for the warranty work on the Smart Entry system, wherein they reset the car and the system worked... for about an hour. I posted my original issue on this board then, and have been watching since, waiting until Honda figures it out. After seeing everyone else's success after resetting their cars, I decided to try it one more time. Reset and re-initialized the system yesterday morning, have driven it 500+ miles, and locked/unlocked the car countless times. The Smart Entry/proximity system has worked consistently. Hope it continues to do so, and I'll post again in the future whether it continues to work or fails, whichever comes first. :)
So... it has been two weeks now, and the Smart Entry system has worked flawlessly since my post two weeks ago. I have put on approximately 250 miles since then, but have had many short-trip entries and exits into and from the car.

I might add that, when I first got the car, I was not used to having Smart Entry on my own vehicle; others in the family have it, but it is new to me. In the beginning, when the issue first manifested, I had the habit of grabbing the handle and trying to jerk the door open before the Smart Entry system had a chance to unlock it. I wonder if this may have been what tanked my Smart Entry until the second reset two weeks ago. I remember it would beep a couple of times when I would do that, almost like we were battling over the handle. In the past two weeks, I have consciously placed my hand in the handle-well and not grabbed it until it beeps. I'm not sure if that was the true instigator of the problem since I doubt everyone else on this thread had the same bad habit, but though it was worth mentioning.

Hope the reset works for everyone, and I hope mine keeps working. Right now, I'm warily happy that mine continues to work. I'll re-post on this thread if it rears its ugly head again.

Last edited:

JermLloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So... it has been two weeks now, and the Smart Entry system has worked flawlessly since my post two weeks ago. I have put on approximately 250 miles since then, but have had many short-trip entries and exits into and from the car.

I might add that, when I first got the car, I was not used to having Smart Entry on my own vehicle; others in the family have it, but it is new to me. In the beginning, when the issue first manifested, I had the habit of grabbing the handle and trying to jerk the door open before the Smart Entry system had a chance to unlock it. I wonder if this may have been what tanked my Smart Entry until the second reset two weeks ago. I remember it would beep a couple of times when I would do that, almost like we were battling over the handle. In the past two weeks, I have consciously placed my hand in the handle-well and not grabbed it until it beeps. I'm not sure if that was the true instigator of the problem since I doubt everyone else on this thread had the same bad habit, but though it was worth mentioning.

Hope the reset works for everyone, and I hope mine keeps working. Right now, I'm warily happy that mine continues to work. I'll re-post on this thread if the rears its ugly head again.
Ditto, mine is still working perfectly and it's been longer than 2 weeks now.

mts1701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
The "Disconnecting Battery" solution may be temporary.
I was one of the people who disconnected the battery and was pleased to report that it solved the problem.
Sadly, after approximately 3 weeks, the problem returned.

Moreover, I continue to experience other anomalies. For instance, about two weeks ago, my Civic wouldn't lock; not with the button on the door handle, and not with the remote either. The only way I could lock the car was to open the door and use the interior lock switch. This behavior continued for about 2 hours while I was running errands (in-and-out of the car). Then the next day, it was working properly again.

I swear, one of the reasons I bought a HONDA was to get a quality product and avoid all these little bugs and glitches.

I hope others are more lucky.

JermLloyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The "Disconnecting Battery" solution may be temporary.
I was one of the people who disconnected the battery and was pleased to report that it solved the problem.
Sadly, after approximately 3 weeks, the problem returned.

Moreover, I continue to experience other anomalies. For instance, about two weeks ago, my Civic wouldn't lock; not with the button on the door handle, and not with the remote either. The only way I could lock the car was to open the door and use the interior lock switch. This behavior continued for about 2 hours while I was running errands (in-and-out of the car). Then the next day, it was working properly again.

I swear, one of the reasons I bought a HONDA was to get a quality product and avoid all these little bugs and glitches.

I hope others are more lucky.
Thanks for the report. Mine is still working well, but I'll keep an eye out for these other problems.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Funny story...
Nothing happens...
Damn software glitch!
NOTHING! GRRR!
Did that the other day. Grabbed the crv key and ran to the car... Wouldn't work And I was like WTF so I pull the key out to hit unlock... Wrong fob... Don't know how I did it since the damn crv fob has a KEY attsched to it! Lol

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Wish there was a way to poll all HB users if they have experienced this issue (Honda should be keeping track!). It still seems like a small percent of users.

Unfortunate for those who do experience this issue. I haven't had any problems with my HB that I've had for 3 months now.
Sponsored