2017 Hatchback Smart Entry issue.......anybody experience this yet......

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
. . . . smart entry does not work like it should, got a 2017 civic hatchback EX. Perimeter lock works walking away no problem, beeps and all. All the functions on the key FOB work... However, when I approach the vehicle and put my hand on the handle to open the car it does not recognize my hand. However, if I use the lock button once approaching the car it does work.? It's been like this from day one. Several days at the dealership, replacing the key fobs didn't work, now they're going deeper trying to figure out what the problem is with the system using Honda tech support but no solution yet.

***Thanks everybody for their input. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds fixed the problem after all, and it's holding………….. hope everybody has been able to use this fix as well.
It may have something to do with Hatch EX sitting at the dealership, test-driven on and off, many drivers, styles of driving, erratic button pushing and touching everything on screen and car system settings hang eventually needing reboot.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zengr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EXL
I have the hatchback EXL, and noticed the problem yesterday and today. Walked out of my house with key fob in my pocket, grabbed the driver door handle, and no feedback. I have to use the unlock button on my keyfob. Then I locked the door and this time it unlocks when I grabbed the handle. Went to the store and as I approached the door, it did not unlock as I grabbed the handle. Need to use keyfob.

Today, same issue. So I tried it with my 2nd set. Since the set I always used didn't work. I did not unlock with keyfob or anything. Grabbed the second set, and still not able to unlock when I grabbed the door handle.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on buying a Civic, another oddball glitch seems to pop up that has me questioning reliability and build quality :(

lzaffuto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX and 2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Country flag
Every time I get ready to pull the trigger on buying a Civic, another oddball glitch seems to pop up that has me questioning reliability and build quality :(
I've been reading a lot too and I've come to the conclusion that the majority of issues reported can be avoided by buying an LX or Sport model instead of the EX or EX-L. Most issues seem to be with the upgraded headunit and various "luxury/convenience" doodads found on the upper trims. The LX sedan I rented for a week and put over 3k miles on was flawless, granted it didn't have the turbo that is in all the hatchback models.

rbrotz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2013 LX, Honda Pilot 2007 EXL, Honda Civic Hatchback 2017 EX, Honda HRV 2016 EX
Country flag
I am having the same problem. I bought the Honda Civic Hatchback EX on 10/1 and the smart entry worked just fine for the first month. Then I started to notice it wasn't always working. I took it to the dealer and of course it was working fine. Afterwards I spent more time trouble shooting when it was and wasn't working.

If I lock it either from the handle or fob and try using smart entry right away it works fine 99.9% of the time. If I lock the car with either the fob or handle and wait 15 minutes (might be less, not sure of the exact time) it fails every time. When I went to the dealer I of course locked and immediately unlocked and then of course it worked. I need to spend some time trying to determine the exact amount of wait time where it doesn't work so I can take it back and hopefully quickly show them.

I had setup the walk away auto lock in hopes that might make a difference but that yielded the same results.

The dealership didn't seem to have any knowledge of an issue. We bought a Honda HRV 2016 EX on the same day and have no problems with the smart entry.

I also have problems with the media display and random issues with Apple Carplay but that is a topic for a different thread.

anntrn93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch Sport Touring
Wow this is super concerning since I ordered the Sport Touring..& the majority of issues are with the higher/highest trim level...

SonicHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 350Z, Element SC
Country flag
. . . . smart entry does not work like it should, got a 2017 civic hatchback EX. Perimeter lock works walking away no problem, beeps and all. All the functions on the key FOB work... However, when I approach the vehicle and put my hand on the handle to open the car it does not recognize my hand. However, if I use the lock button once approaching the car it does work.? It's been like this from day one. Several days at the dealership, replacing the key fobs didn't work, now they're going deeper trying to figure out what the problem is with the system using Honda tech support but no solution yet.
Same with my HB from day one.

EADGBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EXL Hatch
No issues with my EXL hatch, but I'll be watching for this.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Whatever happened to Honda rock solid reliability and quality control? I know there's no such thing as a problem free car but the electronic glitches in these cars seem endless.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
I'm taking mine in tommorow. Just bought the car one week.happens all the time with the smart entry being stupid.hopefully I get an answer to why and fixs.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
No resolution for this issue on the smart entry not working.

Here is what happens to mine.

Lock the with either walk away auto lock or lock on fob. If fob stays with 10ft of car ...smart entry works.....

...now lock car...walk away at least 20-30ft..walk back ...smart entry will not work..

Tried on other EX+ TRIM CIVIC & ACCORD & PILOT..smart entry never failed once..

After 5+ hrs at the dealer waiting for issues to to fixed or address..say American honda has a software update coming g out to fix issue..but when they can't tell...f@#k....I have escalated this to the highest rep at honda..

I.will keep this post informed as what I have been able to do.

Thanks for reading long rant...

curbsideartist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback
I am really glad I found this thread. I recently purchased a 2017 Civic Hatchback EX on Blackfriday. The smart entry system, specifically unlocking the door via grabbing the door handle, inconsistently work. This has been occurring since I got the vehicle.

If I (first) use the keyfob and press the "lock" button, and then immediately grab the driver's door handle, the door will unlock (without pressing "unlock" on the fob). But like many drivers have already stated, if I am away from the vehicle for an extensive amount of time and return to the car, grabbing the door handle does not unlock the car. No issues with the any locking functions (e.g. Auto lock), only the smart entry system, specifically when grabbing the driver'a door handle in attemp to unlock the vehicle.

I have gone through the vehicle settings to make sure all the features that should be on are on. I even reset settings to default. Nothing seems to fix this inconsistency.

I hope Honda addresses and remedy this issue. I will call customer service and formally notify them about the issue. Everyone should do the same. The customer service hotline is (800) 999-1009.
Sponsored