First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 WOP Civic HB Sport 6MT, '03 Honda CBR600RR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just ordered a Draw-Tite hitch and 6" Curt receiver and mod like '2017CivicSport' did. I'm going to notch the hitch, black plastic garnish, and might have to go into the actual steel bumper a little to give me more clearance between the exhaust tips and receiver. If you could bend the pipes down .500", evtend the hangers or rubber mounts, that would give all kinds of clearance and nobody would prob notice.
Look forward to seeing your project.
Sponsored

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I bought the Curt receiver and the ID is about .03" bigger than the one that is on the Draw-Tite hitch. I didn't care for that so I am going to order the Draw-Tite 3006 receiver tube instead.
If I notch the exhaust/bumper garnish (its like a $6 piece) there will be plenty of room. It is removed in the pic. There is about .300" clearance to the exh tips and I have a .085" space between the receiver and steel bumper above it. Like 2017CivicSport said...I will def have to notch the hitch so I can move the receiver tube up higher. I might notch the bumper and move the receiver up another .125 or .1875"...I'll see when I get all the parts in.
I have a mill and welder in the garage so it should go smooth...i hope.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack final

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is just mocked up. It is crooked and off center because I have not notched the mystery vertical sheet metal to the left of center. That will push that side in 1.5”. I believe it is something for assembly or automation at the factory.
Anyway...I should be able to get the hitch pin to sit above the exhaust tips, so no need for an extension. The Thule T2 Pro has an integrated pin so it should be fine. If I run another rack, I will duplicate a locking pin but make it 8-10” long so it clears both sides of the tips. I will still have to buy the lock pin so I can use the locking end of it.
There’s still a chance I may scrap this idea and just end up with a notched piece of sheet metal behind the bumper cover.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack 5505B5DA-DFBC-4CD0-8EF5-F8F4220A85D9

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack D8C07731-D186-455C-934A-C32068766057

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack 584A7B3B-FEA0-4D20-B3FB-6C357D76D356

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finished up!

20181006_151339.jpg

20181006_195918.jpg

20181006_195911.jpg
That looks super clean. Nice work!

Too bad you're so far...I'd totally want this for my ride.

Guess I can take the idea and see what my buddy with a machine shop can come up with.

Assuming you had to notch the bracket where the rear tow hook attaches to?

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That looks super clean. Nice work!

Too bad you're so far...I'd totally want this for my ride.

Guess I can take the idea and see what my buddy with a machine shop can come up with.

Assuming you had to notch the bracket where the rear tow hook attaches to?
If that's what that piece was that I cut...then yes. I can post up how deep to machine the slot on the hitch. I used a Draw-Tite receiver (#3006). I also slightly notched the black trim piece around the exhaust tips.Its literally a $6 part.

Shinjari

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I saw the little cut in the plastic.

If you could be a little more detailed on your procedure I'm sure it'd help more people than just me.

Despite the increased clearance of the receiver to exhaust compared to the original poster of this thread, I wonder if the exhaust still bounces around enough, say on a poor road, to contact the receiver hitch.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I saw the little cut in the plastic.

If you could be a little more detailed on your procedure I'm sure it'd help more people than just me.

Despite the increased clearance of the receiver to exhaust compared to the original poster of this thread, I wonder if the exhaust still bounces around enough, say on a poor road, to contact the receiver hitch.
I wondered as well how it would be when it was all done. Im gonna say that if this exhaust touches, you prob broke something in your drivetrain in the process lol. I can shake the car by the tips without touching. Maybe 5-10 years down the road if rubber hangers break down. You can just change them if needed.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If it's a carbon bike, not a fan of that style rack.

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My friend spotted a roof rack on the interstate, looked pretty sweet. I’d imagine you could mount a bike up top

47AF3394-65FB-4E0C-9C8D-EA02133A90A5.png
I think that person is a member here! I can't remember their name but if it's the same person, they posted pics of how they painted the OEM rims white!

jiggityjars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2020 Hatchback EX
Country flag
The best option by far is if we could talk the Torklift Central folks into making an EcoHitch for the 10th Gen Civic. Right now, the only hitches on the market for the 10th Gen are 1 1/4", and those can't be used for more than 2 bikes at a time. The EcoHitch is always offered in both a 1 1/4" and 2" option.

Apparently an EcoHitch for the 10th Gen is on the backburner right now, so it would take a big push in interest to make it happen.

If you'd like to have a nice, sturdy, 2 inch trailer hitch for the 10th Gen Civic (which would also work for the sedans as well by the way), please go to https://torkliftcentral.com/coming-soon, scroll down the page to EcoHitch Request, and fill out the form with your info.

I've filled it out, and a few others have as well, but we need more folks to fill it out to make this a reality. Thanks in advance for your help!

usaoze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 HATCH SPROT TOURING, 2012 WRX SEDAN
Country flag
FINALLY AFTER 4 YRS! Had my mechanic "custom" tailor the OEM to make it work - GREAT!!
Sponsored