2017 Hatchback Bike Rack

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
Has anybody found a trailer hitch for the Hatchback yet? I don't have a Sport so the center exhaust isn't an issue. Just looking for something to hook my Thule rack up to to carry two bikes at most.

I had a Curt hitch and 2-bike Yakima Stick Up rack that I used extensively on my old 2014 Civic. Worked fine. I just installed the Curt Civic hatch hitch on my new '17 a few days ago. Haven't put the rack on yet due to crap weather.

The roof sheet metal is so thin, I've ruled out the roof rack option. Plus, hitch racks work better anyway in my experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170329_164742_LI_zpse4szkfln
Sponsored

OP
OP

techbrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Hatchback, 2015 GMC Yukon Denali XL, 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring
The roof sheet metal is so thin, I've ruled out the roof rack option.
I agree that hitch racks are generally preferable to roof racks for bikes, but just so you're aware, the roof racks actually sit on the door frames, which is one of the crash frame components. It's more than sturdy enough for the needed purposes.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I agree that hitch racks are generally preferable to roof racks for bikes, but just so you're aware, the roof racks actually sit on the door frames, which is one of the crash frame components. It's more than sturdy enough for the needed purposes.
I'm aware of this. Still, the exterior sheet metal up there is flimsier than our old 2014 Civic, and I wouldn't run a rack up there. The Fit owners are running into the same issue. A fair number of folks in that realm complaining of fragile metal being damaged by roof rack mounting. What those guys are finding is that even the slightest bit of too-tight of the rack is leading to bad things happening, expensive things.

Having owned a 2014 Civic and now a '16 and '17, it's amazing how much thinner the metal feels on the new gen cars. The Civics are now similar to the Fits as far as sheet metal gauge. Even gently washing the car with car, it is super easy to oil can the roof, hood, etc. The rack feet place some pressure on that outboard roof sheet metal if I'm not mistaken. The roof may technically handle it, but from what I hear, the margin of error is small on the latest Hondas between no damage and slight overtorquing causing problems.

You can probably run a roof rack on the Civic just fine if you're careful. I don't want to worry about it. Throw the hitch rack on there, drop bike on, down the road with no worries.

Last edited:

turbo lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The structure of the door frames is pretty high strength steel. The sheet metal covering it is pretty flimsy, the sheet metal is separate from the crash frame components.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The structure of the door frames is pretty high strength steel. The sheet metal covering it is pretty flimsy, the sheet metal is separate from the crash frame components.
Exactly. You said what I wanted to say in about 1/100 as many words.

Anyway, since there is apparently some interest, I just threw my Yakima Stick Up and a bike on the back for a test fit. As long as you have the bike on the outboard position, you can still open the hatch with the bike on the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack RbxmKMt
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IHwGwjz
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack yQZICms

jedisrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. You said what I wanted to say in about 1/100 as many words.

Anyway, since there is apparently some interest, I just threw my Yakima Stick Up and a bike on the back for a test fit. As long as you have the bike on the outboard position, you can still open the hatch with the bike on the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack RbxmKMt
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IHwGwjz
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack yQZICms
Thanks for the pics. Was the install of the Curt hitch quite the hassle? About how long did it take you?

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevrolet 1500, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Thanks for the pics. Was the install of the Curt hitch quite the hassle? About how long did it take you?
So those of us with the sport and sport touring models with center exhaust...how can we get a back hitch mount like this? I do not want a roof rack at all costs.

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

It wasn't that bad, but it was more of a PITA than some of the hitches I've installed before. Many cars you don't have to drill any holes. The Civic hatch, you have to drill two holes and enlarge two other holes with a drill. Care must be taken to mark the hole locations precisely. Other than that, not too bad.

By the way, this might be useful to anyone installing the Curt hitch:

http://www.civicx.com/threads/hint-for-you-hatchback-curt-hitch-installers.10084/

Something I recommend to anyone installing the hitch: once you drill the holes, spray a bunch of CRC Marine Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor up in the frame channels and around/in the holes you drilled. It's a waxy anti corrosion goo similar to BoeShield (which would also work in lieu of the CRC stuff).

Center exhaust folks, you are out of luck for the time being. There is hope, perhaps. Hitches have been developed for some other cars with center exhausts...I believe the Focus ST and/or Fiesta ST have hitches available. It's possible that once enough Civic hatches with center exhaust are on the road, demand may be high enough for someone to develop a hitch.

If I were you center exhaust guys, I'd be emailing Curt, Hidden Hitch, and Torklift Central nonstop so they get the vibe that there is enough interest out there to justify developing one for you.

Used the rack yesterday, worked great.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170406_135724_zpsdpa4zzaf

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
When I get around to test-fitting my bike rack onto my Sport Touring hatch, I'll let you guys know what I think of it. Might be able to do it next week.

Just looking at it, I'm happy that the hatch frame is steel instead of glass like my EP's was. It's the rack's upper feet I'm a little worried about, though.

hans2vt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic lx hatchback
Country flag
I had a Curt hitch and 2-bike Yakima Stick Up rack that I used extensively on my old 2014 Civic. Worked fine. I just installed the Curt Civic hatch hitch on my new '17 a few days ago. Haven't put the rack on yet due to crap weather.

The roof sheet metal is so thin, I've ruled out the roof rack option. Plus, hitch racks work better anyway in my experience.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_20170329_164742_LI_zpse4szkfln
I just got that hitch in the mail for my civic hatch, and they say for use of a bike rack you need to use this strap that provides support to the bike rack and connects to your hatch frame. Else on void warranty. Do you use that strap?

https://www.etrailer.com/question-37895.html

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
I was able to fit my bike (Specialized Crosstrail w/700c tires) in the hatch area with the seats folded down. I'll have to look into a bike rack, but it's nice to know it'll fit inside.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Test-fitted my Saris rack today. I like mounting a rack solely to the hatch door itself -- plastic bumpers aren't sturdy enough, and I want to be able to open the hatch if needed. Some thoughts --

The top hooks fit fine. Routing the strap UNDER the little wing might be the better choice -- it won't scratch where you can see damage, and it's almost a straight shot to the rack body. Depends on the height of the rack, though. I did both versions for the pic so you guys can see.

For the side hooks, it's a little weirder than I expected. Although the edges of the hatch are all steel [EDIT: No, it's not! See my later post] (my EP's glass went all the way to the sides), the side of the hatch midway up the glass is at a weird angle and would be too prone to slippage, and the section near the taillight has a shape under the edge that prevents the side hooks from fitting. Where you see them might be the best spot.

The bottom hooks fit fine under the bottom edge.

The feet... well, maybe I should have the bottom feet on the outboard ends of the rack tube to spread them out, so they can sit on either side of the license plate frame. The top feet don't have many places to go except on the main glass (which I don't like), which means the rear wiper has to be raised out of the way (which I also don't like). I wouldn't put them on the little windows under the spoiler, and putting them on the steel on either side of the "H" might make the base too small to be stable.

Of course, it's easy enough to lay two bikes inside, so a rack isn't absolutely necessary for two people to go riding. But for more bikes and riders, or two people and bikes plus luggage, I'll probably try some changes.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_3204.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_3205.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_3207.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_3209.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Hatchback Bike Rack IMG_3208.JPG

Last edited:

hans2vt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic lx hatchback
Country flag

so I got the same hitch, tried to install it but the hitch brackets are not wide enough and they contact the body where the spare tire sits from above.

did you get your's installed successfully. Pics and video of the problem here. I'm emailing etrailers.com after this to see what they say.

https://goo.gl/photos/8BNi5kVcWoThQG4b7

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Test-fitted my Saris rack today. I like mounting a rack solely to the hatch door itself -- plastic bumpers aren't sturdy enough, and I want to be able to open the hatch if needed. Some thoughts --

The top hooks fit fine. Routing the strap UNDER the little wing might be the better choice -- it won't scratch where you can see damage, and it's almost a straight shot to the rack body. Depends on the height of the rack, though. I did both versions for the pic so you guys can see.

For the side hooks, it's a little weirder than I expected. Although the edges of the hatch are all steel (my EP's glass went all the way to the sides), the side of the hatch midway up the glass is at a weird angle and would be too prone to slippage, and the section near the taillight has a shape under the edge that prevents the side hooks from fitting. Where you see them might be the best spot.

The bottom hooks fit fine under the bottom edge.

The feet... well, maybe I should have the bottom feet on the outboard ends of the rack tube to spread them out, so they can sit on either side of the license plate frame. The top feet don't have many places to go except on the main glass (which I don't like), which means the rear wiper has to be raised out of the way (which I also don't like). I wouldn't put them on the little windows under the spoiler, and putting them on the steel on either side of the "H" might make the base too small to be stable.

Of course, it's easy enough to lay two bikes inside, so a rack isn't absolutely necessary for two people to go riding. But for more bikes and riders, or two people and bikes plus luggage, I'll probably try some changes.

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

I have a similar style bike rack and I was concerned about the straps on the upper spoiler. How did it work out?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a similar style bike rack and I was concerned about the straps on the upper spoiler. How did it work out?
I didn't drive with it, nor did I load any bikes onto it -- but I would've routed the top straps underneath the spoiler. Maybe the rack could be positioned a little further down the hatch lid in back, too.

ONE THING I DIDN'T KNOW BACK THEN:

The panel with the "Civic", "H", and "Sport Touring"? That's plastic.

As you can see in the pics, I didn't attach anything to the plastic panel, although the side straps ended up holding onto the steel hatch about an inch below where the plastic panel goes. But it's something to keep in mind when installing a rack on the back.

What I don't know is whether the coupe and sedan have a similar plastic panel on their trunklids.
Sponsored