Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
So a while back I switched to the 18" BBS wheels with 275/35/18 Michelin PS4S tires. Recently I hit some road debris and had a blow out. The PS4S tires were on backorder so I ended up getting 2 new BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 for the rear axle. Obviously the tread patter is different than the Michelins and they are a bit wider than the Michelins.

At first everything seemed fine and other than the BFGs would rub from time to time on bumps, they handled just fine. Now I have a random problem to which I cannot figure out the cause. It feel like the CTR suspension is not near as firm as it was, even after I first got the new tires. The back end feels REALLY loose and feels like it wants to break loose. The car is very squirly, especially if when I do lane changes.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this a tire issue? Suspension issue? I've also noticed that when I change suspension modes that there is not as much as a felt difference in the tightness as before.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Softer sidewalls on a different tire can make the car feel 'broken' - I did that once with a set for my EVO and my wife asked if I broke the car. I went back to the tire shop and was able to swap to a different tire for a nominal fee since the tires were barely used. Worth it to me - if the car won't handle what I need it to do it's dangerous to me so not worth ' well I'll just run through these and get a better option next set'.

Good luck bud

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Never run different tires on a car. If you are going to buy tires buy four same sets....

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
The bfgoodrich are rather soft and makes the car feel numb and they squirm a good bit. I ran them on all 4 for 20k miles. I'm just assuming the Michelin are more firm since I have no experience there.

OP
OP
Irish-R

Irish-R

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIvic Type R
Country flag
The bfgoodrich are rather soft and makes the car feel numb and they squirm a good bit. I ran them on all 4 for 20k miles. I'm just assuming the Michelin are more firm since I have no experience there.
I've always had great luck with the BFGs in the past. When I first got them they seemed nice and firm. It just seemed like one day they went from firm to all over the place. That is why I was wondering if something in the suspension had given out.

One detail that I left out is that I now have 96k miles on this car. I drive the crap out of it.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I've always had great luck with the BFGs in the past. When I first got them they seemed nice and firm. It just seemed like one day they went from firm to all over the place. That is why I was wondering if something in the suspension had given out.

One detail that I left out is that I now have 96k miles on this car. I drive the crap out of it.
Its possible for sure with that milage then I'd be looking at sway bar and end links first. Then all of the other bushings.

TboneR

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
How did those BBS's held up for you? I'm still contemplating on getting a set of BBS RF sometimes in near future.