twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Hey, it’s my first post in here so I apologize for any rookie moves. I had moved my car this morning and had no issues. A few hours later, I had unlocked the drivers door with keyless entry and when I put my foot on the brake and I pushed to start, I got clicking noises with nothing really close to a turnover with the engine. I tried a few more times and got several engine lights (I didn’t keep track, but there were a lot) and the lights were fluttering at different brightness levels that coincided with the clicks. I had a friend try to do something and though I’m not sure what they tried, my steering and brakes were locked up. I had something pop up where the speedometer shows up that said to press the start button for “accessible mode” or something of the sort and then pressed the start button again, and that was all she wrote and the screen went black.
Then the story continues, I get in my girlfriends car and run to get some lunch but I call my dad to try to check on it, and he can’t get in the car. The key fob buttons and functions are nonexistent and, get this, the key inside the fob won’t even unlock my door handle. I’ve been checking several times today to do anything to try to get in my car, and nothing works. I have no idea what to do.

TL;DR -my car didn’t start and now I can’t unlock my door handle with the key or key fob. Please help, as I have no clue what to do. TIA!
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Probably the battery. If you can charge the battery, see if it will hold the charge for about 12 hours.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Second that. Sounds like a completely flat battery. I would try jump starting the car and if that doesn't work just tow it to a shop and have the battery tested. Only thing thats interesting is that the car doesnt even have enough charge to power the locks, which is weird considering you just used the car in the morning. Having a car not able to start and having a car completely dead flat are different, so i'd also have them check to see if there is any parasitic drain on the car.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
TL;DR -my car didn’t start and now I can’t unlock my door handle with the key or key fob. Please help, as I have no clue what to do. TIA!
Have you tried to open the door again with the manual key only (without touching the key fob)? There was one thread that said the key worked after waiting a while.

Otherwise you will have to call AAA the dealer to open it.

OP
OP

twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Second that. Sounds like a completely flat battery. I would try jump starting the car and if that doesn't work just tow it to a shop and have the battery tested. Only thing thats interesting is that the car doesnt even have enough charge to power the locks, which is weird considering you just used the car in the morning. Having a car not able to start and having a car completely dead flat are different, so i'd also have them check to see if there is any parasitic drain on the car.
I think that may be it too, but the problem is I can’t get into the car to pop the hood. I searched last night for a way to open it from the outside but I sort of didn’t have any success and wanted to see if my post would offer any more (and probably better) help. Thank you!

OP
OP

twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Have you tried to open the door again with the manual key only (without touching the key fob)? There was one thread that said the key worked after waiting a while.

Otherwise you will have to call AAA the dealer to open it.
Yes, I should have been more clear. The key inside the fob doesn’t unlock the handle. Both sets of fobs and keys aren’t working. I’m at a loss

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, I should have been more clear. The key inside the fob doesn’t unlock the handle. Both sets of fobs and keys aren’t working. I’m at a loss
I understood that the key inside the fob didn't unlock the handle. I was only asking if you tried the key inside the fob again after some time without pressing any keys on the fob.

OP
OP

twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I understood that the key inside the fob didn't unlock the handle. I was only asking if you tried the key inside the fob again after some time without pressing any keys on the fob.
Oh, sorry I did not do it before pressing any buttons on my fob. I’ll try again in a bit and hope for some success

OP
OP

twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions. Let us know what happens, though.
I will. I have a friend who’s a mechanic who will check it out after he’s off today. Will keep you posted

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did you buy this car new or used? If used they may have replaced the fob and not replaced the spare key inside or got a used one with a key that doesn't even belong to the car. If you are still within the 3 yr 36k mile warranty period you have free roadside that you can call to get towed to the dealer.

OP
OP

twinjul

First Name
Garrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I will. I have a friend who’s a mechanic who will check it out after he’s off today. Will keep you posted
Alright I have a pretty unexciting resolution but still interesting: my car battery was reading 3.6 V, so those of you who said dead battery were spot on. The unlock button on the inside of the car wouldn’t work the battery was so low. The handle lock didn’t work because the locking mechanism is broken, apparently. It makes sense and was quite the coincidence. The way the car was opened was the lock on the door handle was flipped from the inside. Thank you everyone to y'all's input!

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
The lock linkage issue is not that uncommon. It's worth a check for anyone reading this thread.

Glad you're all set now.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well that sucks. At least you finally got in the car. Batteries on these cars are crap.
Sponsored