2017 Civic sudden power loss on highway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
2017 Civic Sedan LX 2.0, 4200km/2500mi, purchased Sept 2017

Hi there, looking to see whether anyone else has had this problem. Yesterday, having been highway driving for about 45 minutes with my heated seat and music on, I passed another vehicle at approx 130 kph/80 mph. After completing the pass, I noticed the car losing speed. I hit the gas, but it had no effect. Then I noticed both the oil and battery lights lit up. Fortunately I was fairly close to an exit, so I coasted at low speed off the highway, gas pedal ineffective all the way off, though steering/braking continued to work. Turning the car off and back on again (after a very short delay) resolved the problem, and it didn't happen the drive back under similar conditions - though I turned off the heated seats and drove a bit more slowly.

I'm taking it in today to have it looked at. Needless to say I'm really disappointed this could happen - this is already the second major issue I've encountered.

If anyone has experienced this, let me know - I have a feeling the dealership is going to pull a "can't reproduce" on me. Would like some more info if anyone has it.
Sponsored

Astray50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I've experienced 2 occasions with power loss but without any indicators popping up. Was attempting to make a left turn at the lights from full stop but all it ended up doing was rev for about 30 seconds or so before power returned. Ended up being a "can't repro issue".

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
I had a good chat with a mechanic at the dealership - he believes (but can't guarantee) the car stalled due to water getting into the tank. He's seen it happen several times already, each time following this: https://www.civicx.com/threads/gas-filler-freezing-up-issues.9425/

I've had the freeze-up issue happen to me 3 times so far, so it's certainly feasible. There's nothing they can do otherwise until the issue is reproducible or a dash light remains lit.

Honda is working on a fix - it should be available "shortly". The mechanic took me to a 2018 model to point out that the fix has already been applied there - there is a circular plastic piece attached to the gas tank door that covers the filler/plastic flap when closed. He expects a similar fix for the 2017's. He did say that it's okay to cover the opening with a piece of plastic, then hold it on with a plastic band. I asked about potential issues around allowing vapors to escape, etc, however he said it's a self-contained system, or something like that, so there's no need to worry.

Last edited:

Concerned

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
2017 Civic Sedan LX 2.0, 4200km/2500mi, purchased Sept 2017

Hi there, looking to see whether anyone else has had this problem. Yesterday, having been highway driving for about 45 minutes with my heated seat and music on, I passed another vehicle at approx 130 kph/80 mph. After completing the pass, I noticed the car losing speed. I hit the gas, but it had no effect. Then I noticed both the oil and battery lights lit up. Fortunately I was fairly close to an exit, so I coasted at low speed off the highway, gas pedal ineffective all the way off, though steering/braking continued to work. Turning the car off and back on again (after a very short delay) resolved the problem, and it didn't happen the drive back under similar conditions - though I turned off the heated seats and drove a bit more slowly.

I'm taking it in today to have it looked at. Needless to say I'm really disappointed this could happen - this is already the second major issue I've encountered.

If anyone has experienced this, let me know - I have a feeling the dealership is going to pull a "can't reproduce" on me. Would like some more info if anyone has it.
I have a 2017 Honda Civic that I had a issue with that sounds much like your issue. I was driving and it was raining and was coming to end of a passing lane when I accelerated to pass my car picked up speed and suddenly lost power and check engine light started to flash. I could push accelerator and nothing, lucky it still had steering and brakes so I was able to roll to the shoulder of the road. I turned off the engine and waited for about a minute and started up and went on with no issue. I took to dealership and they kept it for 3 days and found nothing and was unable to duplicate situation. It was not cold and I'm still running same tank of fuel. Any information to help would be appreciated. My wife has no confidence in driving our car by herself for fear it might actually up again

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
Yep, that sounds like exactly the issue I had. I haven't had the issue happen again (fortunately) and the dealer is finally installing a Honda-approved fix to ensure water doesn't get into the gas tank anymore (apparently the 2018s come with it). Hoping all of the related issues are behind me now.

civicla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe Touring
Yep, that sounds like exactly the issue I had. I haven't had the issue happen again (fortunately) and the dealer is finally installing a Honda-approved fix to ensure water doesn't get into the gas tank anymore (apparently the 2018s come with it). Hoping all of the related issues are behind me now.
Do you happen to know if this Honda-approved fix is available to everyone or just people who have experienced power loss? I experienced the freeze up issue but not the power loss issue (covered the filler opening with a piece of plastic ever since the first freeze up).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
I believe the fix is available to anyone - regardless of whether any issues have been experienced - they told me service bulletin or something had been issued. I wouldn't be surprised if the plastic gas door attachments were shipped in larger numbers to areas with greater need (freezing risk), so I would call ahead to book an appointment and confirm. My dealer mentioned they were out of the plastic attachments for coupes, but had plenty for 4-doors, for example. If you tell them you've experienced the freezing issue, I'm sure it'll be no problem.
Sponsored