2017 Civic Sport : Air Conditioner Blowing Hot

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Chevrolet 1500, 2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
My car has 38,000 miles now so factory warranty is done. Is this being covered for free at the dealership as a recall? I'm seeing conflicting information.

My 2009 Silverado had 115k miles and still blew cold when I sold it?????
Sponsored

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
My car has 38,000 miles now so factory warranty is done. Is this being covered for free at the dealership as a recall? I'm seeing conflicting information.
We are currently approaching this from a few different routes, hopefully this helps:

Personally, i have been seeing massive compressor and evaporator failures in the 10th gens. The front seal behind the a/c clutch and coil is leaking. You will know this is the culprit because the compressor clutch will look oil soaked. Even if they are not completely oil soaked, I have had problems with these seals having a slow leak. During a vacuum leak test the system will not hold vacuum. This is usually the cause, I had 2 cars today with this issue.

Secondly the evaporators cores are deteriorating. I have no clue what is going on here, but I have replaced 6 evaporators this week alone. They appear to be becoming porous. The cores are peppered with UV leak dye when we pull them out, as if they have tons of pinhole leaks.

I have yet to see condenser failures, though most of the rest of the country is seeing that, our area personally hasn't yet.

Our DPSM is approaching this a few ways. First of all, don't be afraid of the dealership. Honda is well aware of these issues. Speaking with a rep may result in a partial or even full warranty repair, even though you are out of warranty, these are often referred to as "Goodwill" warranty claims. Having said that, not gonna lie here, we do look at your service history with us. If you have never been to the dealership, they are less likely to give handouts. However, you get your oil changed here all the time, buy brakes etc, they tend to take care of "loyal customers" more often. Just trying to help you out. But either way, speak with a dealer, we are in the business of helping our customers believe it or not.

Good luck:wave:

OP
OP

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I just moved from California. I'm in Texas now. I did all my oil changes at the California dealership. I have no interaction with the Texas dealers. Does this reduce my odds?

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I just moved from California. I'm in Texas now. I did all my oil changes at the California dealership. I have no interaction with the Texas dealers. Does this reduce my odds?
Where are you at in Texas?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Probably not. You are so close to 3/36 it shouldn't matter. Talk to the dealer, we can speculate all day but your DPSM will decide the fate. Full warranty or partial etc. This is the upside of getting all your work done at the dealer and paying that higher price, when you need it, sometimes Pappa Honda comes through to take care of ya.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
I'm in Arlington, TX
It's a bit of a drive about 45 minutes west of you, but Honda of Weatherford has been great working with me. Small town dealership with really nice service advisors.

If you want a contact there, shoot me a pm. I HATE the DFW dealerships... the ones in DFW have been awful for me to deal with. I live out west now and glad I found Honda of Weatherford.

OP
OP

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's a bit of a drive about 45 minutes west of you, but Honda of Weatherford has been great working with me. Small town dealership with really nice service advisors.

If you want a contact there, shoot me a pm. I HATE the DFW dealerships... the ones in DFW have been awful for me to deal with. I live out west now and glad I found Honda of Weatherford.
Would be happy to drive to Weatherford. PM sent

One other detail is that my driver side vents are blowing hot but my passenger side vents are blowing cold.

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
If they say that the condenser and compressor needs to be replaced, reach out to American Honda for possible goodwill assistance even if you are beyon the 36k mile or 3 yr warranty.

midnightcivic

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 SGP EX
Country flag
Would be happy to drive to Weatherford. PM sent

One other detail is that my driver side vents are blowing hot but my passenger side vents are blowing cold.
Let us know how this goes, im in Grand Prairie and i know Vandergriff sucks. I bought my civic from Honda of Ft Worth. Never really dealt with any dealers when it comes to servicing it.

OP
OP

l3randonf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update:

Weatherford Honda did a goodwill diagnostic and confirmed that I needed refrigerant. They are adding a colored dye to the new refrigerant. I am instructed to return the car to the dealer if the problem occurs in the future. At that time, they will look for the exact cause of the leak from evidence of the colored dye. They only ask that I pay just 1% of the cost of repair which I have no problem with.

I am happy they are doing this for 1% which is basically free. I am concerned that I will have to take it back to the dealer again in the future but I guess that's ok. They said that if I have to return several thousand miles later, they will have record of this problem starting with today. So, basically they make it sound like I would not need to be charged more than another 1% or so if I have to return for a more expensive solution in the future.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are probably good for this summer but try your AC next spring. You're probably leaking. Also, your defroster uses the AC so just keep an eye on it. Glad you found a good dealer who took care of you.

choo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatch Sport 6MT , 1995 240sx
Country flag
I dont think the hatchbacks were affected by the condenser recall like the sedans due to being built in a different area. You'd have to look up the VIN to be sure..

My car was leaking oil and refrigerant out of the front of the compressor. It had been getting noisier and noisier (compressor rattle that went away over 1000rpm)over the last year, and this summer stopped cooling the car when it got past 90* out.

Three weeks ago I added 2oz of oil and 8oz of 1234yf to the system. The rattle sound is gone and it brought the vent temps down to 39*f. When it was brand new it only blew 42* on the same thermometer. It seemed to have been leaking slowly since new and lasted over 100k miles the first time, hopefully I get another year or so out of it before I have to replace the compressor.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I dont think the hatchbacks were affected by the condenser recall like the sedans due to being built in a different area. You'd have to look up the VIN to be sure..

My car was leaking oil and refrigerant out of the front of the compressor. It had been getting noisier and noisier (compressor rattle that went away over 1000rpm)over the last year, and this summer stopped cooling the car when it got past 90* out.

Three weeks ago I added 2oz of oil and 8oz of 1234yf to the system. The rattle sound is gone and it brought the vent temps down to 39*f. When it was brand new it only blew 42* on the same thermometer. It seemed to have been leaking slowly since new and lasted over 100k miles the first time, hopefully I get another year or so out of it before I have to replace the compressor.
Mind if you share the parts that you used to refill the refrigerant? I know that NAPA sells individual canisters of the Honeywell R1234YF, but for the hoses and other stuff, I wanted to know them as well.

mejamakan

First Name
meja makan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jatipribumi.com
Vehicle(s)
civic genio
Country flag
We are currently approaching this from a few different routes, hopefully this helps:

Personally, i have been seeing massive compressor and evaporator failures in the 10th gens. The front seal behind the a/c clutch and coil is leaking. You will know this is the culprit because the compressor clutch will look oil soaked. Even if they are not completely oil soaked, I have had problems with these seals having a slow leak. During a vacuum leak test the system will not hold vacuum. This is usually the cause, I had 2 cars today with this issue.

Secondly the evaporators cores are deteriorating. I have no clue what is going on here, but I have replaced 6 evaporators this week alone. They appear to be becoming porous. The cores are peppered with UV leak dye when we pull them out, as if they have tons of pinhole leaks.

I have yet to see condenser failures, though most of the rest of the country is seeing that, our area personally hasn't yet.

Our DPSM is approaching this a few ways. First of all, don't be afraid of the dealership. Honda is well aware of these issues. Speaking with a rep may result in a partial or even full warranty repair, even though you are out of warranty, these are often referred to as "Goodwill" warranty claims. Having said that, not gonna lie here, we do look at your service history with us. If you have never been to the dealership, they are less likely to give handouts. However, you get your oil changed here all the time, buy brakes etc, they tend to take care of "loyal customers" more often. Just trying to help you out. But either way, speak with a dealer, we are in the business of helping our customers believe it or not.

Good luck:wave:
thanks for giving solustion,very usefull for me
Sponsored