2017 Civic SI vs 2017 Civic Sport Hatch (6MT)

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
Here is our video review of the 2017 Civic Si (sedan) for those who missed it:

This is more of a comparison vs the standard EXT model, but most of this applies when comparing to the Hatchback Sport as well.
Sponsored

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
"Did anyone test/cross shop a GenX Civic SI with a GenX Civic Hatch?
Optimally comparing the 6MT Sport Hatch with a 6MT SI.

If so, why did you go with one over the other?
"

This is essentially what I did for the past month. I wanted 6MT and preferred hatchback, either red or blue.

Test driving the Si almost dissuaded me from the hatchback. The Si drove very well, had heated seats and mirrors (very helpful in NE USA in winter), moon roof, and I liked the touch screen entertainment system function. The horizontal trunk space was surprisingly spacious.

But the Si driving position is low in my opinion. There is not a big difference in typical, highway driving with "Sport" vs "Econ" drive settings. I can live without the volume knob, but the climate control on the touchscreen was not to my liking (in winter, just want to crank up the heat as fast as possible). The Si has no spare tire. Apparently you can buy one, but where you would put it is beyond me-the space under the trunk floor did not seem big enough to hold a spare tire.

In the end, I bought LX hatchback 6MT. It is probably the most difficult trim to find. The Sport trim 6MT being almost as hard to find. Hatchback is just too convenient and versatile relative sedan form. There was not a huge difference in driving performance when I test drove both Si and hatchback-more of a compliment to the hatchback than a criticism of the Si.

Honda has created a great set of choices for Civic lovers, with different body types, trims, transmissions. The only problem is finding them!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic, 2018 Elantra Sport
Country flag
I was wondering if there was any big difference in driving the two. I'm more so considering the EX vs the SI. I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, but I REALLY want to drive a MT car. Has anyone been driving in an hour plus traffic in a MT car? Is it a tiring task, or is the car smooth enough that you wont have that stiff leg when you get out?

Froz3nTundra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Accord Sport 2.0t 6MT
I was wondering if there was any big difference in driving the two. I'm more so considering the EX vs the SI. I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, but I REALLY want to drive a MT car. Has anyone been driving in an hour plus traffic in a MT car? Is it a tiring task, or is the car smooth enough that you wont have that stiff leg when you get out?
Any manual gets tiresome in parking lot type traffic, if your traffic is to the point where you're going 5-10mph and stopping every 100ft for miles on end just get the CVT. As much as I hate CVT's/automatics if I had to deal with that kind of traffic I'd get one.

I've driven 240k miles over the past 10 years in my manuals and the handful of times I've been in really horrible stop and go traffic I was getting annoyed with the car. General city driving where you're going light to light? Not that bad at all, it's just highway parking lot traffic that really sucks.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the clutch is light, i've driven my Si in very heavy traffic and it wasn't too bad, however, an automatic will always be a little easier in those situations. i have the 2017 EX hatch CVT and the 2017 Si sedan.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I've test driven both and would choose the Si hands down. If that's not enough room, go test drive an Accord Sport 6MT.

Honda clutches are comparatively light and very livable in traffic, IMHO.
Sponsored