2017 Civic Si vs 2017 Civic Coupe

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, so I'm not really sure what I want, but I have some ideas. Basically, I'm getting my first ever new vehicle which will be my daily driver, so I am focused on good gas mileage as well as reliability. Now the SI is going to be the "funner" model I think, of the two choices. I'm not too interested in going to race tracks or anything like that, but from a red light standstill, or accelerating on the freeway is what I enjoy the most. I've been looking at mods as well, but whatever I get I still want the warranty to be in effect and the mods I get will not shorten the vehicles life span. I'm not going to red line the car every chance I get, but once a week or so would be fun. Right now I'm saving for a down payment so that I can afford to finance it, but I'm curious that if I do get the new 2017 coupe manual, how much of the fun factor will I lose for potentially better gas milage? I know we know little too noting about the SI, but I would like your opinions of my way of thinking is reasonable/logical. For now, let's just say my budget is $25,000. Now if the new SI is more than this, I would consider paying more, but I like saving money as well. Sorry for the long post guys. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Short answer - get the Si if you can possibly afford it. Although it'll probably "start" at 25 or 26 - you'd be getting a lot more of a car "as is" (i.e. without having to mod anything)

Of course, in a couple months there will be no need for guesswork as we'll know the actual details about the Si, and you will be able to make a better-informed decision.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Hey guys, so I'm not really sure what I want, but I have some ideas. Basically, I'm getting my first ever new vehicle which will be my daily driver, so I am focused on good gas mileage as well as reliability. Now the SI is going to be the "funner" model I think, of the two choices. I'm not too interested in going to race tracks or anything like that, but from a red light standstill, or accelerating on the freeway is what I enjoy the most. I've been looking at mods as well, but whatever I get I still want the warranty to be in effect and the mods I get will not shorten the vehicles life span. I'm not going to red line the car every chance I get, but once a week or so would be fun. Right now I'm saving for a down payment so that I can afford to finance it, but I'm curious that if I do get the new 2017 coupe manual, how much of the fun factor will I lose for potentially better gas milage? I know we know little too noting about the SI, but I would like your opinions of my way of thinking is reasonable/logical. For now, let's just say my budget is $25,000. Now if the new SI is more than this, I would consider paying more, but I like saving money as well. Sorry for the long post guys. Thanks for your time.
I'd say that it depends on the one factor that we don't know which is price. By all indications the SI has three key advantages over the regular 1.5t, sport suspension/tires, a mild turbo upgrade, and most importantly an LSD. We won't know until it's released, but most likely there is about a 10 real HP difference between the two engines with proper tuning, so that is pretty negligible. The suspension and tires can be had on the sport hatch if you are willing to go that way, or bought for a little coin. The LSD is a game changer on the track, but probably not very useful on the street. All of that is worth at least a few grand more to me, but if the SI comes equipped more like an LX than an EX-L and is priced over 26k to start the low 20k EX-T or Sport hatch starts looking like a great deal in comparison.

Marathon Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX Sedan, 2017 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Looks like gas mileage is a priority for you. Driving habits has more to do with saving on gas than MPG ratings so you'll be okay with the Si's 2.0T. Keep in mind it'll require premium gas.

old sparks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LX 6sp Coupe, 1983 Mazda RX7, 2009 Yamaha FZ1
Will this be your only vehicle? If so, I would probably lean towards the SI.

I just picked up an LX coupe with the NA 2.0 for a daily driver, but I have my bike when I 'feel the need for speed'... (and my yet-to-be finished RX7 project)

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Looks like gas mileage is a priority for you. Driving habits has more to do with saving on gas than MPG ratings so you'll be okay with the Si's 2.0T. Keep in mind it'll require premium gas.
1.5L you mean?

Last edited:

BV1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EXT
Historically, the Si and say, the lower EX, have never been so similar in performance and powertrain as they are now, but yet the rungs on the price ladder have never been further apart in straight dollar value.

This is likely because Honda had to stretch that price ladder a little further to put the Type R on the same price scale as a Base Civic and yet still maintain a logical price progression between trim levels

In otherwords the EX/EXT model has never given more bang for the buck as it does now in performance and the Si has never given less. In the past this would be an R18 vs K20 or K24 discussion but now its a L15T vs L15T discussion, and springs, tires, turbos and even a LSD are very changable parts.

Just some thoughts,

Steve

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
In otherwords the EX/EXT model has never given more bang for the buck as it does now in performance and the Si has never given less. In the past this would be an R18 vs K20 or K24 discussion but now its a L15T vs L15T discussion, and springs, tires, turbos and even a LSD are very changable parts.

Just some thoughts,

Steve
Good word.

To have a fun, quick car right out of the box, get the Si.

If you want to go mod-crazy, get a different trim.

I would NOT bother replacing the suspension on the Si, but I could easily decide to put aftermarket suspension on an EX/EXT.

Funny, isn't it, that I wouldn't mod the Si (or Type-R, either) because I think the electronic systems are tightly-integrated, and I wouldn't gain enough by trying to swap them out.
Sponsored