2017 Civic Si press drives in May. Reviews come June 6.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No no nooo.. Don't feed the Troll he will grow.. lol ;) hahahaaa

I really disagree with you. If you're going to shit on Honda for what they're doing, then DON'T BUY A HONDA. There's no need to refer to a car like this as a POS. I know this car has a market, and that market will LOVE it. There's no way that with a platform like this, it won't be loads of fun. Yes-- it's disappointing it won't have loads of power. Yes-- it's disappointing because it won't be blindingly quick. But, it'll be inexpensive, reliable, and VERY fuel-efficient. Personally, I'll probably opt for the Si over the Type-R because it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper, and one fun car. There's no reason to be so negative about this, man. The Si is going to make a lot of people really happy, and just because you "hate" this "POS" doesn't mean Honda should cancel it and cater to you. I'm sure there are other cars you don't particularly like, and I'm sure you just ignore their existence like a sensible person does. If I were you, I would respect the engineering behind a car like that, and the intent to provide safe, reliable fun to consumers like us.
Sponsored

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
It's the CTR, people -- it's a huge deal, so priorities shifted, etc.
The funny thing is that the CTR's release also apparently shifted people's expectations of what the Si should be like. :)

I bet you anything the new Si is still going to be better than the previous model in every respect, -- but I guess that's just not enough for some, anymore... :confused:

Ethan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3 GT 6 speed
It's the CTR, people -- it's a huge deal, so priorities shifted, etc.
The funny thing is that the CTR's release also apparently shifted people's expectations of what the Si should be like. :)

I bet you anything the new Si is still going to be better than the previous model in every respect, -- but I guess that's just not enough for some, anymore... :confused:
I have no doubts the new Si will be better than the previous model but why aim so low?

That's not who Hondas competing with these days. I love Hondas but my fanboy ism isn't going to make me blindly pick the Civic unless it brings something special to the table. (I know it's going to drive amazing, please Honda just price it correctly)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's sad Ford made a better car in 2013 called the Ford Focus ST.

Anyone who is still waiting for this Si I feel so bad for them.

Yeah it will be reliable but your probably gonna get burned by most minivans...

If your ok with that then carry on.
They drive great but the ergonomics are a bit off. Seating position is too far forward. Bolsters are too narrow on the Recaro package. And the shifter is a bit notchy and vague.

People that care about beating anything and everything from a dig... need to look beyond FWD in general.

cmwalton16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe ABM, 2016 Civic Touring CBP
Country flag
If we use the 2017 Hatchback reviews as in indication of what to expect, then the Si should hit dealer lots right around the time the reviews are in. Actually there are still new Hatchback reviews coming in even today.
I'm an engineer at VW and we do new model launches on CW27 (Week of July 4th) and CW50. Assuming other OEMs have a similar pattern, I would put my money on July...

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We're you the guy who inflated VW mpg's ??? HAHAHA.. Did you fix the VW from blowing black smoke cold start? Back in 2003 I considered a new VW but every single one blew black smoke then I left and bought a Honda.. :)

I'm an engineer at VW and we do new model launches on CW27 (Week of July 4th) and CW50. Assuming other OEMs have a similar pattern, I would put my money on July...

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
We have some Civic Si timing to share. The 2017 Civic Si press drives will be held in late May. Reviews will be posted on June 6, so stay tuned!

And yes, Honda is still calling it the "2017" Civic Si. :thumbsup:
Seems odd that Honda would call a car launched in June a 2017 model. Half of 2017 will be gone when this car launches. This creates an equity issue with the car. The cars perceived worth will be less based on calling the car a 2017. In 2019 the car will be perceived to be 2 years old which has the potential hurt resale value. Would make far more sense to call it a 2018 model based on this launch timing if true.

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Seems odd that Honda would call a car launched in June a 2017 model. Half of 2017 will be gone when this car launches. This creates an equity issue with the car. The cars perceived worth will be less based on calling the car a 2017. In 2019 the car will be perceived to be 2 years old which has the potential hurt resale value. Would make far more sense to call it a 2018 model based on this launch timing if true.
You've nailed the issue I suspect a number of people are facing re: buying the new Si. We've been waiting a long time for this car so don't want to wait any longer, BUT who wants to spend over $35k after tax (CAN) for a 2017 in June. Honda isn't likely to release the 2018 model in 2017, but they could, and boy will we all be happy about that. The love/hate relationship with Honda continues.

IMO they should label it a 2018 because why not if it lands in late May/early June, and then release the 2018 early next year. There aren't likely to be many changes for MY 2018 so ship it in Feb/Mar. There ya go Honda... not that hard.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
May be a stupid question, but - could they skip the 2018 MY for Si altogether, and just release the 2019 model some time in late 2018? Has anything like that been done before? Just a random thought...

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
I've never seen a car so delayed and it's release so drawn out.
Where are you people coming up with this stuff? How is it delayed? What is drawn out?

Honda showed the Si prototype November 2016. They said it would go on sale Spring 2017.

It's going to go on sale Spring 2017. Nothing has changed. Nothing is delayed. It has nothing to do with the CTR. It is not drawn out. It is on a schedule, as all corporate products are.

If the issue is that people are excited for the Si and check the forum 30 times a day for the past 4 months in hopes of some new info having sneaked out, and that makes it feel like an eternity to them, or that Honda is teasing or torturing them... that's on those individuals and has nothing to do with Honda.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
The model year isn't just applied to cars at will, it is based on the assembly line. Like the CTR, the Si isn't a dedicated chassis but rather based on an existing one already being produced for MY2017. All chassis on that assembly line are stamped with the same VIN digit representing the year. The CTR and Si will only be changed to MY2018 when their respective Civic chassis lines switch over to the next year's VIN, usually in the late fall.

Note that the Civic hatchback was the first of the three body styles to be produced using the MY2017 designation during 2016, while the coupe and sedan were still being called MY2016. (From the press release at the time: "Arriving in showrooms starting next Monday, the striking 2017 Civic Hatchback joins the 2016 Civic Sedan and Coupe as the third body style in the 10th-generation Civic lineup.") This is because it's being built on its own separate assembly line that was just starting production and could begin with the MY2017 VIN, while the coupe and sedan were already in production and had yet to switch.
Sponsored