2017 Civic Si, or 2016 Civic Coupe

Brony2012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Accord EX Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, so my situation is I can get the 2016 Civic Coupe in a few months, or I can wait until Spring 2017 and get the Civic Si. As far as I know, there isn't much information on the Si, but I'm optimistic that it will be a fantastic car, hopefully something under $25 k. I suppose my question would be should I get the Civic Coupe since it looks great and has a great fuel economy, or wait a little more to find out more information about the Si to decide which version I want? Being patient is hard, but if the Si only has a $5 k different in price from the Coupe with way better horsepower and looks to boot with the same great fuel economy, then that'd be well worth the wait.
Sponsored

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think you answered your question. I would wait if you don't have to get a new car right away.:D

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
You'd be better off waiting regardless. You might find a used 2016 coupe if you want to go used, and you'll have the peace of mind knowing that your choice won't be possibly regretted as soon as the Si comes out.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Another thing to consider... demand for the Si will be extremely high for the first 4-6 months until Honda can circulate enough on the lots. Expect to pay MSRP or a slight premium - especially after a 2 year hiatus (as crazy as that sounds).

lmoore1436

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX BNP
I wouldn't count on it having the same great fuel economy. You need to remember that they aren't engineered for economy like the regular civics. If I were you I would wait though, just so you can do a proper comparison including price, mpg, practicality, etc. Personally I always have regrets if I buy something, and something redesigned comes out after the novelty has worn off :p

mvance30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 si
You'll be unhappy if you don't wait.

If you care for the things the SI offers, then you won't be happy. Automatic CVT coupe even the 1.5t won't be as fun as even the 15 SI. the tenth gen SI is supposed to be a lot better as well. Now if you don't care about the manual trans and more HP than the price and fuel savings plus the quick buy would make the coupe better.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I wouldn't count on it having the same great fuel economy. You need to remember that they aren't engineered for economy like the regular civics. If I were you I would wait though, just so you can do a proper comparison including price, mpg, practicality, etc. Personally I always have regrets if I buy something, and something redesigned comes out after the novelty has worn off :p
Never know. My '14 Si coupe was actually better on gas than my '10 civic sedan with base 1.8L engine and auto transmission. And I drove the Si with a much heavier foot!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
don't buy EITHER one. They both are the first year model production and those are notorious for bugs that aren't worked out.
That's the great thing with new cars is they have warranty. Now yes, nobody wants to be going into the dealer often.. I can say my '16 touring has been flawless so far.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get the SI, be patient. Overall its going to be a better car with better performance. The fuel millage is not going to be as good as the regular coupe but I'm sure its still going to get good fuel economy. You don't want to have buyers remorse after seeing how the SI turns out. I'm sure by Fall we'll have details on the SI, although its not coming until 2017.

jrasero23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Acura ILX Premium
Hey guys, so my situation is I can get the 2016 Civic Coupe in a few months, or I can wait until Spring 2017 and get the Civic Si. As far as I know, there isn't much information on the Si, but I'm optimistic that it will be a fantastic car, hopefully something under $25 k. I suppose my question would be should I get the Civic Coupe since it looks great and has a great fuel economy, or wait a little more to find out more information about the Si to decide which version I want? Being patient is hard, but if the Si only has a $5 k different in price from the Coupe with way better horsepower and looks to boot with the same great fuel economy, then that'd be well worth the wait.

Well besides the obvious performance you gain with the Si do you need a coupe, hatch or sedan? Do you want a manual?
Since you mention the fact that the Si has extra horse power it seems that matters to you. For me the Civic is a little too dime a dozen so the Civic Si makes sense. Another options is to wait until the Si comes out and still get the Hatch since by then the prices will have leveled or go down bellow invoice.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
The GOOD news is that it is taking Honda so long to release the Si. They COULD have just taken the coupe or sedan and added 18" wheels, wider tires, thicker sway bars, a different exhaust, and badges. But they didn't.

I am hoping that this delay, and their strategy of releasing the Si and the Type R together indicates that the Si is going to share many components with the CTR. SO, look at waiting as a benefit. It gives you time to save more money to buy a better car (if you consider stiffer, louder, and faster as better).

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
First question.......do you want CVT or Manual transmission? If manual is your answer......I would wait for the Si and manual coupe before deciding. If CVT is your answer, you could go get a coupe today. Honestly, after driving my brother-in-laws EX-L 1.5T CVT, for an extended trip......I could easily see myself not waiting for the Si and getting a Touring model with manual transmission. The CVT with the turbo is not a bad combination but, I am a car enthusiast and I find great joy in the connected feeling you get driving a manual transmission vs. automatic or CVT. I want a car not an appliance and with a teenager coming of driving age in the family, want him to understand the joy of manual transmission driving. Finding people who even know how to drive a manual car in the USA is becoming a rare commodity. I find this sad as kids and their parents forget the joys of manual transmission driving. Nothing better than shifting gears on a winding road in the middle of no where. Your question also could be answered by where you live or what you want to do with the car as well. If you plan to sit in traffic jams in your daily commute...you might as well buy the CVT in the coupe and call it a day. Although the Si may end up with the CVT, honestly do you want to buy a CVT Si? Do you want to be that guy? The WRX is going thru a similar challenge. Subaru listened to the big city traffic commuters and made a WRX with a CVT. If you talk with the sales people at Subaru, you will learn that the CVT version of this car has been shunned by the people who really want and understand what a WRX is. Yes, there are people who want a WRX for its brand equity and for its power but, honestly you will not find a purist driving the CVT version. You also will not find one of these vehicles in a rally or running a race course on the weekend. CVT does not make the WRX more valuable for resale either. If CVT is your answer, what would you want from an Si CVT that the Touring or EXT could not give you? Answer this and you will have your answer. Honestly, the Turbo 1.5 has plenty of power and go and if all you plan to do is push the accelerator and go, I do not see any reason to wait for the Si. Show up at a Civic club event with a CVT Si and prepare to be shunned. Enthusiast that like to drive will never embrace this drivetrain, especially when paired with a car like the Si, WRX or.....a special car like the Type R or STi. Good luck with your decision.

SpartanSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX and Honda CR-V
Country flag
Never know. My '14 Si coupe was actually better on gas than my '10 civic sedan with base 1.8L engine and auto transmission. And I drove the Si with a much heavier foot!
Do people really buy an Si for gas mileage?