NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
largest from snow is size 6 if 'm not mistaken.
mind to share the link of the chart you mentioned ?
size 3 should be just nice (std kit comes with 3 & 5) to start off for your desired setup & you can try larger sizes anytime.
anything more than 350 WHP you could be already running out of gas.
400WHP on this engine is not easy to reach to make it as a DD & you will need a much larger turbo + flex or WMI or race gas.

it is not just a PnP there are many options/setups available on how you want to set it up, i'd say start with a small standard nozzle with RV6 Turbo + bolt-ons then go from there but before you proceed further best is to build your engine 1st.
Thats kind of why im asking. Building the motor is way too much money and not realistic for me. Im trying to see if people think that my setup would be safe. It does after all reduce temps and clean the engine. I just worry that the power is too much for the stock internals. Though I mean I would probably make 350 or less and I dont think that much or less would be enough to damage the internals. But I dont have the experience or knowledge to know that. Best response ive gotten from derek and others is it probably should be fine maybe lol. Thats why I was hoping to hear some input from everyone here.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Thats kind of why im asking. Building the motor is way too much money and not realistic for me. Im trying to see if people think that my setup would be safe. It does after all reduce temps and clean the engine. I just worry that the power is too much for the stock internals. Though I mean I would probably make 350 or less and I dont think that much or less would be enough to damage the internals. But I dont have the experience or knowledge to know that. Best response ive gotten from derek and others is it probably should be fine maybe lol. Thats why I was hoping to hear some input from everyone here.
350hp would be considered in the risk range. Basically the risk starts to go up rapidly in the 300s, with 350 being the stock fuel limit wall. Go over that and it's a guarantee that you'll be rebuilding the block down the road.

You need to be ready to pay the price if you're going to play with water/meth. And push your limits with a aftermarket turbo.

Considering you're going 50/50 with a size 3 or 4 nozzle. Your meth injection will be more of a cooler and safety net then a big power adder. As long as your tuner knows this he'll tune accordingly. Probably give you 2 psi more and 2-3° of ign advance, which is fine.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
TBVH there isn't a "safe" HP range you can easily break an engine below 300 WHP.

@kshawn is right, just go with a sized 3 nozzle hover around 300 WHP you should be good but for sure your reliability is gonna go down.

Build it before you break it otherwise stay low & much "safer" with a lighter right foot & some good maint not trying every single way to break the engine or any other parts of the car.

Get better brakes too.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I haven't gotten dynod yet but drob said I should already be making power in the 300whp range, do you think that's accurate? What kind of gains do you think I will be making with a size 3 and a good tune from drob ? I was assuming atleast 20/30 whp or somewhere around there. Putting me roughly around 320 or 330 whp or so. That's a guestimate of course. would you guys personally follow through with what im planning on doing? FBO RV6 turbo , snow performance 2.5 kit with a size 3 nozzle and a tune by drob( just clarifying) on stock internals telling him to keep it as safe as possible? Or should I just call the project done and look at a project car. I really dont want to have to do the second option but if its a bad idea then its a bad idea.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Leave it. You obviously care about reliability. You're already pushing it into the territory where people that NEED there car to function shouldn't go.

Another thing to think about.
Let's say you throw a few hundred at a meth system. You're looking for a 30ish hp jump. So 3 psi and 3->4° of advance, taking a rough guess here. Sounds great! Till the pump has a problem or there's a clog, you run lean for a few seconds, but boom.. it misfires and you snap a rod becuase a misfire at high boost is a pretty hard event.

So you want reliability, so you let your tuner know and he adjusts accordingly. 2 psi vs 3 and 2° of advance. He also keeps the spool rate lower so the tq doesn't kick in to fast. That way of there's a problem your still within your safely limits.

So you basically installed a meth system for very little change in your power.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Leave it. You obviously care about reliability. You're already pushing it into the territory where people that NEED there car to function shouldn't go.

Another thing to think about.
Let's say you throw a few hundred at a meth system. You're looking for a 30ish hp jump. So 3 psi and 3->4° of advance, taking a rough guess here. Sounds great! Till the pump has a problem or there's a clog, you run lean for a few seconds, but boom.. it misfires and you snap a rod becuase a misfire at high boost is a pretty hard event.

So you want reliability, so you let your tuner know and he adjusts accordingly. 2 psi vs 3 and 2° of advance. He also keeps the spool rate lower so the tq doesn't kick in to fast. That way of there's a problem your still within your safely limits.

So you basically installed a meth system for very little change in your power.
I completely hear you and appreciate you helping me out. I think that another 30whp will make a pretty significant difference. The car is craving fuel now. I know the pump could fail and that would be horrible, but I have heard if done correctly people running meth for years to come. It's just these new hondas are so damn soft I know im at the edge of reliability. Though I figured with that in mind I could still get a pretty good jump in power without going to crazy. It's this or nothing since I am not buying anymore cars and there isnt anything else I can afford power wise. I was just hoping to hear from some people that have actuallly done it. Kshawn I appreciate you, but it seems you pushed entirely way to far so your experience is not a good one and I get that. Im sure if done responsibly and mildly it would be fine. As soon as you start adding e85 and tuning yourself there might be an issue. I know a bunch of the type R guys are doing it why couldnt we?

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I completely hear you and appreciate you helping me out. I think that another 30whp will make a pretty significant difference. The car is craving fuel now. I know the pump could fail and that would be horrible, but I have heard if done correctly people running meth for years to come. It's just these new hondas are so damn soft I know im at the edge of reliability. Though I figured with that in mind I could still get a pretty good jump in power without going to crazy. It's this or nothing since I am not buying anymore cars and there isnt anything else I can afford power wise. I was just hoping to hear from some people that have actuallly done it. Kshawn I appreciate you, but it seems you pushed entirely way to far so your experience is not a good one and I get that. Im sure if done responsibly and mildly it would be fine. As soon as you start adding e85 and tuning yourself there might be an issue. I know a bunch of the type R guys are doing it why couldnt we?
Type R is a totally different engine and it's a lot stronger than the SI's engine. It doesn't matter how responsible you are with running meth. Anyone on here is going to say if you want to run it build your motor. There's not a balance to me here, it's either you want reliability or you want to run more hp and run the risk of blowing your internals. Yes, your internals can blow with just a basemap i'm sure but you're drastically increasing your risk of doing so. The risk vs reward with this car isn't there. You've done so much to it already, it's a great car, just chill if you want reliability and get an EG project car.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Type R is a totally different engine and it's a lot stronger than the SI's engine. It doesn't matter how responsible you are with running meth. Anyone on here is going to say if you want to run it build your motor. There's not a balance to me here, it's either you want reliability or you want to run more hp and run the risk of blowing your internals. Yes, your internals can blow with just a basemap i'm sure but you're drastically increasing your risk of doing so. The risk vs reward with this car isn't there. You've done so much to it already, it's a great car, just chill if you want reliability and get an EG project car.
thinking about it thanks for the input. Its really far away but if I have to do something should I just go e85 and drive around with 10 containers of fuel lol. You guys that have it at the pump are lucky as shit.
Sponsored