2017 Civic Si Meth injection setup

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Haha it's fine guys. At least people learned what not to do from my process.

Cortex is amazing as a manual boost/meth controller. I had a pressure sensor in the meth line. If pressure dropped, boost was cut.

I'll actually be going back to the Cortex, in the spring. If I'm still running into boost limits by then.
Can you explain how the Cortex interfaces with the stock ECU? How exactly do you trigger the boost cut?
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

Cortex is amazing as a manual boost/meth controller. I had a pressure sensor in the meth line. If pressure dropped, boost was cut.

I'll actually be going back to the Cortex, in the spring. If I'm still running into boost limits by then.
I thought you were selling and getting out of the game. In for a penny, in for a pound? :)

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Can you explain how the Cortex interfaces with the stock ECU? How exactly do you trigger the boost cut?
I was running a prl v1 kit.
The cortex solenoid controlled the flow of pressure to the wastegate actuator, controlling boost. Cortex sells a canbus adapter that will interface with the obd2 connections so it can read things like rpm, gear, ect. You also connect to a boost reference point.

Cortex also has sloinoid drivers that can control things like a meth pump. Google cortex EBC and check out there product.

Corry from TSP knows what you would need, I'd rea h out to him for the hookup.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was running a prl v1 kit.
The cortex solenoid controlled the flow of pressure to the wastegate actuator, controlling boost. Cortex sells a canbus adapter that will interface with the obd2 connections so it can read things like rpm, gear, ect. You also connect to a boost reference point.

Cortex also has sloinoid drivers that can control things like a meth pump. Google cortex EBC and check out there product.

Corry from TSP knows what you would need, I'd rea h out to him for the hookup.
Thanks that’s helpful!

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

i bet you will run into boost limits still, me & someone was just talking abt you earlier today. stay on cortex ! haha & i might be getting 1 too to deal with the boost limitations as my ecu variant does not have support for 4 bar map sensors & even if it does, will still be limited where you're at now furthermore it has great features + the failsafes.
will give you a holla when time is right regarding cortex later on.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Pretty much. It's like a drug.
I know what you mean. You've probably seen the mods I've done on my IS if you've been keeping up with the PM. It's gotten to a point I hide stuff in the garage and when my wife sees something new I tell her "Oh that? It's been sitting there for awhile". She just looks confused and walks away. I've become the master of the art of deception

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I know what you mean. You've probably seen the mods I've done on my IS if you've been keeping up with the PM. It's gotten to a point I hide stuff in the garage and when my wife sees something new I tell her "Oh that? It's been sitting there for awhile". She just looks confused and walks away. I've become the master of the art of deception
Yaaa i ended up single as of 3 weeks ago ? so now its bitches and race fuel.

I once had prl send me a part labeled as an air filter. And they did it! Lol

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
i bet you will run into boost limits still, me & someone was just talking abt you earlier today. stay on cortex ! haha & i might be getting 1 too to deal with the boost limitations as my ecu variant does not have support for 4 bar map sensors & even if it does, will still be limited where you're at now furthermore it has great features + the failsafes.
will give you a holla when time is right regarding cortex later on.
Oh I already know about the boost limits. I found that out awhile ago, like May. the hard way.

Continuing to work with ktuner for a solution as a tester. But come spring I'm making the switch back to the cortex, it's been waaay to long. I want to be able to use my built motor and fuel system.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Cortex seems like a very good product. I wonder if KTuner / Flashpro can dial that in as well one day.
I believe they will. I'm pretty much just on standby as a tester, waiting for a tune to try.

Cortex is amazing. I don't think you could do any better. Other then a aftermarket ECU. There support is amazing as well. When I reached out to them directly about adding a meth purging function, they added it in and gave me a link to the beta.. that day.

Cory from TSP was my contact dealing with them and I was given everything I needed to interface it with the car. At the time I was also going through TSP for my block, before they officially offered it. The pics on there site are my pictures lol. I got the Cortex package for FREE since I was already spending a shit tone lol.

Anyone thinking of going with a Cortex should reach out to TSP. And I'd also be glad to help out with the install process. Just pm me

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I also tuned and setup the cortex side of things myself. The software can be.. well alot to absorb at first. Go through all the help pages, in the software a few times.

There's closed loop controls and open loop controls and a ton of different control functions and maps to setup. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I also tuned and setup the cortex side of things myself. The software can be.. well alot to absorb at first. Go through all the help pages, in the software a few times.

There's closed loop controls and open loop controls and a ton of different control functions and maps to setup. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.
I kind of understand how the cortex would help with a complex setup, but can I simply use a boost control solenoid and let the AEM controller handle everything else? It is already monitoring manifold pressure, fluid level, and pump short circuits. It seems like an unnecessary expense to me when all I want to do is dump boost through a solenoid (a BoostSafe 1.6A output is supplied) if an error occurs. Which is what the EBC does?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I kind of understand how the cortex would help with a complex setup, but can I simply use a boost control solenoid and let the AEM controller handle everything else? It is already monitoring manifold pressure, fluid level, and pump short circuits. It seems like an unnecessary expense to me when all I want to do is dump boost through a solenoid (a BoostSafe 1.6A output is supplied) if an error occurs. Which is what the EBC does?
Cortex controller has it's own boost solenoid. There's a 3 port and a 4 port to pick from. The 3 port will do 34psi with the spring in the prl v1. It's a 14.5psi spring. 4 port would increase your maximum boost over 40psi.

But in terms of controlling meth. Those are separate components. So you don't need to purchase all the extra stuff. You may even be able to use the input sensor wire, on the cortex, to tap into the fluid level sensor. So the cortex controller can cut boost if somthing goes wrong. It cuts boost by exposing the wastegate actuator to the full amount of boost. So technically it will only cut down to whatever the spring pressure is. In my case 14.5psi. But if you're running 30+ a failsafe of 14.5 is pretty good.

Sounds like you'd want just the controller and boost solenoid. As for the 2 outputs on the cortex. I'd email them to see if it can be used to control a boost safe dumper. Just don't dump it to open air. Recerculat.

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe they will. I'm pretty much just on standby as a tester, waiting for a tune to try.

Cortex is amazing. I don't think you could do any better. Other then a aftermarket ECU. There support is amazing as well. When I reached out to them directly about adding a meth purging function, they added it in and gave me a link to the beta.. that day.

Cory from TSP was my contact dealing with them and I was given everything I needed to interface it with the car. At the time I was also going through TSP for my block, before they officially offered it. The pics on there site are my pictures lol. I got the Cortex package for FREE since I was already spending a shit tone lol.

Anyone thinking of going with a Cortex should reach out to TSP. And I'd also be glad to help out with the install process. Just pm me
yes we were talking abt you hahaha !
pm will be otw soon, thanks for sharing your experience & knowledge ;)
Sponsored