NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
So, I have searched the forums a bit and only came up with a few random threads about people asking about meth kits for the type R. I am full bolt ons with RV6 upgraded turbo and i'm now looking into a meth kit. I am just starting to understand how it all works.

Which meth kit would you recommend ? I am looking at the snow performance 2.5 kit

Is there a safe meth kit? Will the stock internals be okay full bolt on and turbo upgrade?

I've heard of running just water but that doesn't give any gains right?

How hard is the install ? Is it something I should maybe have professionally done(keep in mind I did all the bolt-ons and the turbo)

And what could I realistically expect to see from gains for the different options? like would water be no gain ?
Sponsored

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
meth kits are generally universal. snow 2.5 seems good & there are some failsafes.
if done correctly hp & tq will go up so personally i won't push it too hard especially on stock internals. wiring gotta be right, position & selections of nozzles too. definitely need a custom tune. there will be some gains from water but not as much compared to meth mixed with water.
best go for professional install + custom tune.

OP
OP
NicKoLi

NicKoLi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
meth kits are generally universal. snow 2.5 seems good & there are some failsafes.
if done correctly hp & tq will go up so personally i won't push it too hard especially on stock internals. wiring gotta be right, position & selections of nozzles too. definitely need a custom tune. there will be some gains from water but not as much compared to meth mixed with water.
best go for professional install + custom tune.
thank you. I am getting the snow 2.5 but with the upgraded tank and solenoid. Im waiting for drob to get back to me but the snow performance guy said for my hp and boost levels that a size 7 or 8 would be good

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I just finished DIY installing a meth kit myself. I went with AEM because I was able to get it on a boxing day deal. The price difference was enough from Snow Performance to pick up AEM's new V3 nozzle, inline filter, and solenoid.

The install was.....okay. I'd rate it maybe a 7/10. The only tough part was getting everything through the firewall. If you have a grommet tool to puncture them and feed wires through it, it's a lot easier. It may also be different for a sedan/coupe vs hatchback but during my install I had to remove the entire backseat, a lot of the interior trim around the door sills and seatbelts, and all the carpeting from the trunk down to the sheet metal.

All meth kits are basically the same and all basically universal. You just need to choose the right controller (MAP for forced induction for us). You can add it in a few different ways:

1. Water only (no added power, cooler IATs, need to drain everything for winter)
2. Water/meth bolt-on (50:50 ratio, cooler IATs, added knock prevention, works year round, no added power, let ECU tune out excess fuel)
3. Water/meth tune (50:50 ratio, cooler IATs, added knock prevention, works year round, potential for big added power, motor explodes if something fails)

If you tune in the meth kit, and the pump stops working or you run out of meth, say goodbye to your motor. It'll run lean and that's the end of it. From my research there was no reliable way to interface a failsafe device with the stock ECU to pull timing, dump boost, or switch maps. It's a big potential risk. I will most likely be running my kit it "Mode 2" above. Let it run under boost for knock prevention and IAT cooling, as a motor support tool and not a power adder.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
This is what happens with water/meth tune if something fails (without building the motor)
1611692856645.png

@kshawn has a pretty extensive thread on his build journey, which included meth injection

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/motor-blew-prl-turbo-kit-with-meth-injection.36470/
It's worth noting that Matthew messed around with a lot of tuning himself in the early days of installing a meth kit which may have contributed even more to that failure. I'd also argue that even with a built motor, running dangerously lean could be enough to break something anyway.

As I said above, I think it's great as a support tool but not something to hang your hat on for a daily.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It's worth noting that Matthew messed around with a lot of tuning himself in the early days of installing a meth kit which may have contributed even more to that failure. I'd also argue that even with a built motor, running dangerously lean could be enough to break something anyway.

As I said above, I think it's great as a support tool but not something to hang your hat on for a daily.
Very true. That said, there is a lot that can be learned from his thread, including avoiding all the mistakes he made! Sorry @kshawn :p

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
thank you. I am getting the snow 2.5 but with the upgraded tank and solenoid. Im waiting for drob to get back to me but the snow performance guy said for my hp and boost levels that a size 7 or 8 would be good
SP nozzles are only up to size 6. How many ml or cc or gph nozzle did he recommend you & what are your goals ? always start small , low & slowly then progress up. Standard kits comes with size 3 & 5 , i'd say go for size 3 1st then slowly progress up & i think @D-RobIMW will agree.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you tune in the meth kit, and the pump stops working or you run out of meth, say goodbye to your motor. It'll run lean and that's the end of it. From my research there was no reliable way to interface a failsafe device with the stock ECU to pull timing, dump boost, or switch maps. It's a big potential risk. I will most likely be running my kit it "Mode 2" above. Let it run under boost for knock prevention and IAT cooling, as a motor support tool and not a power adder.
yes there are failsafes to cut your boost which is VERY reliable if you get the right product & with the right setup.
you will also need to get a good tuner who knows what they are doing of course, usual + common errors are too lean + too much boost & like you stated if the system fails yes very likely to kaboom.
you intend to run under boost yes that will be the usual way but you'll have to lean it out or else you're gonna flood the engine.
it will be a natural power adder for sure ;)
@kshawn maybe can share his setup or experience with cortex ?

monstarind

Monstar Industries
First Name
Monstar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.monstarind.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R FK8R
Country flag
Meth Injection if done properly is fine even on these engines. It is just a matter of knowing how much is too much. As with anything that add's power we sometimes get too greedy and end up pushing the limit of the parts aka engine.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
yes there are failsafes to cut your boost which is VERY reliable if you get the right product & with the right setup.
you will also need to get a good tuner who knows what they are doing of course, usual + common errors are too lean + too much boost & like you stated if the system fails yes very likely to kaboom.
you intend to run under boost yes that will be the usual way but you'll have to lean it out or else you're gonna flood the engine.
it will be a natural power adder for sure ;)
@kshawn maybe can share his setup or experience with cortex ?
What info do you have on using failsafe with the stock ECU? If I could implement one I'd feel much better about pushing boost with my kit.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
check out cortex boost controller
Interesting. From my quick look, am I right in understanding it will just cause a boost dump under a failure condition?

Is it not possible to just hook up a boost control solenoid and let the built in failsafe from my AEM kit trigger it?

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Haha it's fine guys. At least people learned what not to do from my process.

Cortex is amazing as a manual boost/meth controller. I had a pressure sensor in the meth line. If pressure dropped, boost was cut.

I'll actually be going back to the Cortex, in the spring. If I'm still running into boost limits by then.
Sponsored