vawwzz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
First I'd like to apologize for being a noob, I have a 2017 civic si, this is my first manual and turbocharged car. When I took it out for a drive today, after a few minutes of driving I noticed that when I get going from a stop, the car would bog a little, almsot feels like the front wheels are losing traction. After doing a bit of google researching I found that it might be due to heatsoak? It was around 102F today, the hottest temperature I've driven the car in. The car is pretty much stock other than a K&N drop in and Amsoil Synchromesh MTF. I'm just worried its a clutch/transmission issue. Thanks
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
so the rpms are reving up but the car is not moving as quickly?

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
First I'd like to apologize for being a noob, I have a 2017 civic si, this is my first manual and turbocharged car. When I took it out for a drive today, after a few minutes of driving I noticed that when I get going from a stop, the car would bog a little, almsot feels like the front wheels are losing traction. After doing a bit of google researching I found that it might be due to heatsoak? It was around 102F today, the hottest temperature I've driven the car in. The car is pretty much stock other than a K&N drop in and Amsoil Synchromesh MTF. I'm just worried its a clutch/transmission issue. Thanks
Hey, I'm here in California as well (Northern Cal) where we have had 3 days of super hot weather with yesterday and day before going above 100 degrees. In one year of ownership, the only time I have experienced anything close to heat soak was last summer driving to Southern Cal in 115 degree heat for 7 hours. Everything was fine until I hit friken LA traffic. It was about 98 degrees with high humidity, and than things felt a bit sluggish.

I think more of an issue was the tranny fluid getting really hot, which made things sluggish and shifting felt horrible. Since then I changed out the OEM MT fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid, and have not experienced any heat, shifting, or transmission related issues. Yesterday I was driving around with the AC on full blast in the 100 degree heat with no problems

OP
OP
vawwzz

vawwzz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey, I'm here in California as well (Northern Cal) where we have had 3 days of super hot weather with yesterday and day before going above 100 degrees. In one year of ownership, the only time I have experienced anything close to heat soak was last summer driving to Southern Cal in 115 degree heat for 7 hours. Everything was fine until I hit friken LA traffic. It was about 98 degrees with high humidity, and than things felt a bit sluggish.

I think more of an issue was the tranny fluid getting really hot, which made things sluggish and shifting felt horrible. Since then I changed out the OEM MT fluid for Amsoil Synchromesh MT fluid, and have not experienced any heat, shifting, or transmission related issues. Yesterday I was driving around with the AC on full blast in the 100 degree heat with no problems
Wow 115 thats crazy and I thought 102 was hot. Interesting I too have changed out the OEM MT fluid with Amsoil but was getting that sluggish starts, the AC was not even on full blasts.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow 115 thats crazy and I thought 102 was hot. Interesting I too have changed out the OEM MT fluid with Amsoil but was getting that sluggish starts, the AC was not even on full blasts.
Yeah, hwy 5 thru the Central Valley between Fresno county and the Grapevine can really scorch in the summer. I was doing the Grapevine at 80 mph no problem, it's when I hit the 210/ 2 interchange freeway near the northside of Downtown LA and traffic came to a halt, than I started to feel some sluggishness. Are you tuned at all (Ktuner, Hondata etc.)? If you are not, the ECU may be turning some performance down a bit due to the heat. Also if you are in SoCal, there is more humidity there which brings down the air density

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Heat soak with the 10th gens is a known issue. If things get too hot the ECU will pull timing and you will lose performance as a result in order to protect the engine.

If you have a stock tune and/or drive like a grandpa, you'll likely never notice heat soak. If you have a tune and do enough spirited driving, starting around 65 degrees ambient temperature you'll begin to see heat soak and the resulting performance decreases.

If you get a tune and want to avoid heat soak, the best bang for the buck is arguably an aftermarket honeycomb grille, followed closely by a turbo blanket. If I did things all over again I would've waited a little longer to install the PRL Intercooler simply because the grille does such a great job at heat mitigation all by itself and at such a lower cost.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Does your car make a weird whining humming sound when you have the AC on? Especially around 3-4K rpms?

Mine seems to do this pretty often but goes away at random times. I’m wondering if it’s the compressor and if I should take it in to Honda.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does your car make a weird whining humming sound when you have the AC on? Especially around 3-4K rpms?

Mine seems to do this pretty often but goes away at random times. I’m wondering if it’s the compressor and if I should take it in to Honda.
No it doesn't, but in the winter when I use the defroster there is a slight whining sound when coming to a stop...

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag

This is another known issue, but it's superficial.

Iirc it has something to do with resonance or an oscillation or vibration at a certain rpm while the compressor is running. There is a fix for it but apparently most dealers either don't know about it or won't admit the sound exists.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find the info about exactly what it is and how it can be fixed.

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Iirc it has something to do with resonance or an oscillation or vibration at a certain rpm while the compressor is running. There is a fix for it but apparently most dealers either don't know about it or won't admit the sound exists.

If you do a search on this forum you'll find the info about exactly what it is and how it can be fixed.
I couldn’t find anything unless you’re taking about the thread on the AM radio frequency making noises. I don’t think that applies to me because the Si has the premium speaker system or something.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Heat soak with the 10th gens is a known issue. If things get too hot the ECU will pull timing and you will lose performance as a result in order to protect the engine.

If you have a stock tune and/or drive like a grandpa, you'll likely never notice heat soak. If you have a tune and do enough spirited driving, starting around 65 degrees ambient temperature you'll begin to see heat soak and the resulting performance decreases.

If you get a tune and want to avoid heat soak, the best bang for the buck is arguably an aftermarket honeycomb grille, followed closely by a turbo blanket. If I did things all over again I would've waited a little longer to install the PRL Intercooler simply because the grille does such a great job at heat mitigation all by itself and at such a lower cost.
Heat soak has never been an issue for me, except once as I posted earlier in this thread. In fact I find that my car runs better on warm days then it does on cold days. For example yesterday was about 100 degrees F, I was running around town and the car was driving great. Don't ask me to explain it, that is just my experience. Driving through hot temps with high humidity is another issue, I do feel a slight performance drop. Anyway I am installing a Mishimoto performance intercooler on Monday that I had the Fortune of picking up brand new for $300 from an unfortunate person who had their 2017 totalled before it was installed

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
if the rpm goes up with the clutch out all the way and the car doesnt move.
your clutch is slipping

domicubarican

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag

My brother is having this issue on his hatch, he's getting the compressor replaced under warranty lol.

Jes_si562

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si. 1990 Honda civic w d16z6 swap (sold) 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback sport(wifes)
Country flag
Should of just replaced transmission fluid with some oem mtf I did it to mines and man it made a difference I get smooth shifts now the oil was full of metal that's was causing the crunchy shifts
Sponsored