MAJIK

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Does anyone know if the 2020 Civic SI LED headlights are compatible with the 2017 Civic SI? And if anyone has done the conversation, can you share the Details please. Thank you and stay safe.
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Does anyone know if the 2020 Civic SI LED headlights are compatible with the 2017 Civic SI? And if anyone has done the conversation, can you share the Details please. Thank you and stay safe.
They’re the same headlight housing so obviously it will fit. The connections are different but there’s a harness for sale that will convert your 3 harness connections to the 1 harness connector to plug into the LED headlights. The only issue is OEM these headlight are not cheap at all. They run $1,000 and can even be over $1,000 too for the pair. Your best bet is to go aftermarket if you want affordable

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic SI headlight conversion. F11C60C6-D017-4E2B-85DF-F95C4214916E

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Requires the wiring harness with ballasts in it to work right. As long as you have that, should be plug n play.

OP
OP

MAJIK

First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic si
Country flag
They’re the same headlight housing so obviously it will fit. The connections are different but there’s a harness for sale that will convert your 3 harness connections to the 1 harness connector to plug into the LED headlights. The only issue is OEM these headlight are not cheap at all. They run $1,000 and can even be over $1,000 too for the pair. Your best bet is to go aftermarket if you want affordable

F11C60C6-D017-4E2B-85DF-F95C4214916E.png
Thank you. Do you know where I can fine that new connector?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
The only issue is OEM these headlight are not cheap at all. They run $1,000 and can even be over $1,000 too for the pair. Your best bet is to go aftermarket if you want affordable
Unless of course, you could find a LED Civic that has been "rear ended" at the salvage yard.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
LED bulbs are cheaper :p

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Also road illegal.
So is tint in most places. If you have projectors, swapping out the OEM bulbs for LEDs is perfectly fine. You get the same pattern just better color and more brightness.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
So is tint in most places. If you have projectors, swapping out the OEM bulbs for LEDs is perfectly fine. You get the same pattern just better color and more brightness.
Wrong + wrong != correct

haha

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Come to think of it, converting to OEM LED headlight is probably road illegal too. So pick your poison.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LEDs are legal (if they’re DOT certified), HID’s are not legal. if you have projector beams and aim them properly (not blind everyone) you should be fine though. If your putting HIDs on reflector headlights your an asshole and would more likely to get a ticket. If it’s a yellow, halogen color, white, diamond white, white with a hint of blue is all legal colors. Any other color is all illegal, but of course it varies state by state. This is CA law

shibles

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking the same thing back when I was considering getting Type R headlights (before LEDs were standard on Si's) but $1000 a pop is way too much for me to be bothered. I'd do a turbo upgrade with that much before I care about LED headlights.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
LEDs are legal (if they’re DOT certified), HID’s are not legal. if you have projector beams and aim them properly (not blind everyone) you should be fine though. If your putting HIDs on reflector headlights your an asshole and would more likely to get a ticket. If it’s a yellow, halogen color, white, diamond white, white with a hint of blue is all legal colors. Any other color is all illegal, but of course it varies state by state. This is CA law
Do DOT certified car LED bulbs exist? Last time I checked, they're all "For Off Road Use Only".

And as for the OEM LED conversion, the LED headlight itself is DOT certified, but the harness is not. I don't know the spec for the input voltage of the OEM LED headlights, if they simply take normal 12V rail, then you should be ok. But if they take LED voltage (which is around 1.5V? I think?), then you need to drop the 12V into 1.5V using a big resistor (that generate lots of heat) like the following harness. That's why car LED bulbs come with big heatsink in the form of metal fins, fans, or a block of aluminum. So you need to know more about the hardness.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948642382.html

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing the hardness I linked to.

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do DOT certified car LED bulbs exist? Last time I checked, they're all "For Off Road Use Only".

And as for the OEM LED conversion, the LED headlight itself is DOT certified, but the harness is not. I don't know the spec for the input voltage of the OEM LED headlights, if they simply take normal 12V rail, then you should be ok. But if they take LED voltage (which is around 1.5V? I think?), then you need to drop the 12V into 1.5V using a big resistor (that generate lots of heat) like the following harness. That's why car LED bulbs come with big heatsink in the form of metal fins, fans, or a block of aluminum. So you need to know more about the hardness.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32948642382.html

Disclaimer: I'm not endorsing the hardness I linked to.
LED’s sold at reputable automotive stores are like Autozone for the sample are DOT certified. Most LEDs on the market are DOT certified, if they aren’t then they're illegally sold. Usually if they’re expensive then it’s DOT certified lol the price pays for all the certifications needed. For example
http://www.morimotohid.com/9005-xb-hid.html
These are DOT certified and they’re HID’s
Sponsored