2017 Civic SI headlight conversion.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
LED’s sold at reputable automotive stores are like Autozone for the sample are DOT certified. Most LEDs on the market are DOT certified, if they aren’t then they're illegally sold. Usually if they’re expensive then it’s DOT certified lol the price pays for all the certifications needed. For example
http://www.morimotohid.com/9005-xb-hid.html
These are DOT certified and they’re HID’s
Really? DOT certified for what? Off Road? Click thru the two links and then make your argument.

In summary, It’s illegal to retrofit LED headlight bulbs into a headlight assembly designed for halogen bulbs.

Whilst they are not road legal
Sponsored

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
When’s the last time you ever saw a police officer give a ticket out for LEDs, 99.9% of the time it’s not worth their time or resources. Highly doubt a police officer is going around looking for people to give tickets to people because they’re not using DOT approved bulbs. You asked if DOT certified LED bulbs and I was answering they do. The dot certified LED bulbs are for vehicles that came from the manufacture with LEDs or an HID. Look at an older generation of BMW or Mercedes which come standard with HIDs from the factory with DOT approve headlights, they take a D1S bulb. Look at the touring models, Si, and Type R headlights they are all LEDs with dot approved headlights. Or the the last generation and current generation of Toyota’s, they all have LEDs and all DOT approved headlights. All dot checks for is the intensity of the light, the brightness of it, and the temperature color of the bulb. So yes it may be illegal to put LEDs in a halogen housed headlight, but LED bulbs meant for LED housed headlights are not illegal

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When’s the last time you ever saw a police officer give a ticket out for LEDs, 99.9% of the time it’s not worth their time or resources. Highly doubt a police officer is going around looking for people to give tickets to people because they’re not using DOT approved bulbs. You asked if DOT certified LED bulbs and I was answering they do. The dot certified LED bulbs are for vehicles that came from the manufacture with LEDs or an HID. Look at an older generation of BMW or Mercedes which come standard with HIDs from the factory with DOT approve headlights, they take a D1S bulb. Look at the touring models, Si, and Type R headlights they are all LEDs with dot approved headlights. Or the the last generation and current generation of Toyota’s, they all have LEDs and all DOT approved headlights. All dot checks for is the intensity of the light, the brightness of it, and the temperature color of the bulb. So yes it may be illegal to put LEDs in a halogen housed headlight, but LED bulbs meant for LED housed headlights are not illegal
Oh I'm sorry. I thought this tread is about LED reto fit for a pre '20 Si. Didn't realize you're trying to cover the history of LED bulbs.

As for LED RETRO-FITs for Halogens. You'd be lucky if all you got is a ticket. LED retro fit for halogen requires voltage step-down which produce lots of heat, a potential fire hazard if not designed properly!

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Oh I'm sorry. I thought this tread is about LED reto fit for a pre '20 Si. Didn't realize you're trying to cover the history of LED bulbs.

As for LED RETRO-FITs for Halogens. You'd be lucky if all you got is a ticket. LED retro fit for halogen requires voltage step-down which produce lots of heat, a potential fire hazard if not designed properly!
Do DOT certified car LED bulbs exist?
You asked me about it on this thread, rhetorical or not I answered your question that they do

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You asked me about it on this thread, rhetorical or not I answered your question that they do
Yeah in a thread titled "2017 Civic SI headlight conversion". Lol...

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just out of curiosity. Show me a DOT certified LED headlight bulb for cars.

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Retrofitting LED bulbs can be done with great results as long as you do your research. I've done so on a few vehicles. The key is to use a quality bulb with a design that emits light from a location as close as possible to the element of the original bulbs. This essentially means that "tower" style multi-sided bulbs are a really, really dumb idea for headlamps. Two-sided or "blade" type bulbs are the best for headlamps. You'll want to check the cutoff and will likely need to re-aim the headlamps after install to ensure that you aren't going to blind oncoming traffic with glare and scatter.

This video is pretty helpful:

You may also want to consider that, because LEDs do not produce heat the way that halogens do, you can end up with snow building up on your headlamps during winter.

Also consider that getting good results is simply not possible in some headlamp designs.

As for legality, tickets, etc, all of that is highly dependent on your location, so I'm just going to leave it at that.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually they arent, i changed mines out with this brand in the picture. They were 270.00 and got them from a local auto shop in El Paso, TX but im happy with the results.
And what make you think they're legal? Is there a DOT symbol anywhere on the bulb or on the box?

If LED retrofit bulbs were legal, I'd think the big guys like Philips or Sylvania would be all over this market.

Last edited:
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
They’re the same headlight housing so obviously it will fit. The connections are different but there’s a harness for sale that will convert your 3 harness connections to the 1 harness connector to plug into the LED headlights. The only issue is OEM these headlight are not cheap at all. They run $1,000 and can even be over $1,000 too for the pair. Your best bet is to go aftermarket if you want affordable

F11C60C6-D017-4E2B-85DF-F95C4214916E.png
Got 3 questions bro.
1. What’s the wiring harness you need?
2. Im guessing you need the wiring harness for the Morimoto aftermarket headlights too right?
3. Is there a part number for that wiring harness that I can buy from Honda directly?

Last edited:

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got 3 questions bro.
1. What’s the wiring harness you need?
2. Im guessing you need the wiring harness for the Morimoto aftermarket headlights too right?
3. Is there a part number for that wiring harness that I can buy from Honda directly?
1. Halogen to led harness which is aftermarket.
2. If the mishimotos state it’s for non led equipped, they’re plug and play.
3. Honda does not make the harness.

First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
1. Halogen to led harness which is aftermarket.
2. If the mishimotos state it’s for non led equipped, they’re plug and play.
3. Honda does not make the harness.
Thanks brothaman! Appreciate the help