First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone!

I have a few comments/concerns about my ac. I’m trying to figure this out as to why my car does this.

1. When it’s really hot outside my car blows cold air but not enough of it. It generally gets a little warmer inside the car than usual. It’s fully charged too.

2. The other day I was driving to nyc from PA & after I got in the city my car started to sound like an airplane inside & was barely blowing any air at all. The little air that it blew out was cold though.

3. A few weeks ago I drove to Virginia & my ac started spitting ice back at me through the vents

Anyone know what could be causing these issues? Any help would be great

I attached a video of my car sounding like an airplane lol

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Hey everyone!

I have a few comments/concerns about my ac. I’m trying to figure this out as to why my car does this.

1. When it’s really hot outside my car blows cold air but not enough of it. It generally gets a little warmer inside the car than usual. It’s fully charged too.

2. The other day I was driving to nyc from PA & after I got in the city my car started to sound like an airplane inside & was barely blowing any air at all. The little air that it blew out was cold though.

3. A few weeks ago I drove to Virginia & my ac started spitting ice back at me through the vents

Just a wild guess, maybe the inside condenser tray drain tube is plugged. Do you see a drip line of condensate when you pull into a parking spot? Any musty smell? That's also a clue to a plugged drain line.
Next oil change or before up on a lift, check the drain tube.

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just a wild guess, maybe the inside condenser tray drain tube is plugged. Do you see a drip line of condensate when you pull into a parking spot? Any musty smell? That's also a clue to a plugged drain line.
Next oil change or before up on a lift, check the drain tube.
Nah there’s no musty smell or drip. But I’ll definitely check that for sure

DRuby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Nah there’s no musty smell or drip. But I’ll definitely check that for sure
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You should see condensate dripping from the inside A/C tray through the drain.
Tree leaves and other stuff can plug the line. I find all sorts of oak tree pollen and junk in the space between the windshield and the hood. I'm sure it finds its way inside.

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Sorry, I wasn't clear. You should see condensate dripping from the inside A/C tray through the drain.
Tree leaves and other stuff can plug the line. I find all sorts of oak tree pollen and junk in the space between the windshield and the hood. I'm sure it finds its way inside.
Ahh gotcha okay I’ll check it out tomorrow

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It sounds like you’ve developed a leak somewhere. Hopefully it’s not the evaporator.
If it is the evaporator where is that located? Is that near the heater core under the head unit? I think that’s where it is the 4th gen TL

swanarg

TheSwanwar
First Name
Anwar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
there's actually an extended warranty on the AC condenser for the 2016-2021 civic something crazy like 10 years and unlimited mileage from the original purchase date whether you are the original owner or not. some of our cars develop "corrosion in the form of tiny holes in the condenser tube walls that allow the refrigerant to leak out" Good news is they have to inspect and replace it for a brand new unit for FREE, yes FREE. I just got the notice in the mail last week. my AC is working fine after 3.5 years and 55k miles but it does sound kinda loud sometimes. either way, call up your local dealer and make them fix that thing!

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
If it is the evaporator where is that located? Is that near the heater core under the head unit? I think that’s where it is the 4th gen TL
Behind the dash on the passenger side. The entire dash has to be disassembled to replace it.

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
there's actually an extended warranty on the AC condenser for the 2016-2021 civic something crazy like 10 years and unlimited mileage from the original purchase date whether you are the original owner or not. some of our cars develop "corrosion in the form of tiny holes in the condenser tube walls that allow the refrigerant to leak out" Good news is they have to inspect and replace it for a brand new unit for FREE, yes FREE. I just got the notice in the mail last week. my AC is working fine after 3.5 years and 55k miles but it does sound kinda loud sometimes. either way, call up your local dealer and make them fix that thing!
Maybe I should have Honda take a look at mine too. It takes about 30 min for my ac to start blowing cold air from a 100f day.

darrenjuggins

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.6 EX i-Dtec & MR2 Roadster (Mk3)
Country flag
Hey everyone!

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks bro, I’ll give them a call. I don’t have the original condenser in there but OEM is better than aftermarket

finch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si, 2018 Accord sport, 2005 Saab 92x
Country flag
Did you check the cabin filter? low air flow and icing of the evap coil can also be attributed to the filter being dirty due to restricted airflow.

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Did you check the cabin filter? low air flow and icing of the evap coil can also be attributed to the filter being dirty due to restricted airflow.
Not yet. That was actually going to be the first thing I checked since that’s what I keep reading when I search some of the things that are happening. I’ll check it out after work

OP
OP
First Name
Edwardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Behind the dash on the passenger side. The entire dash has to be disassembled to replace it.
???
Not fun. The 09 TL I had it in a similar place but we just needed to remove the glove compartment. I really hope it’s not that.
Sponsored