2017 Civic Sedan EX-L MPG

iwasthere

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-L
Good afternoon. I am new to this forum. I have went back and read some posts on mpg. I have about 9,500 miles on my civic. I keep it in Econ mode and use 87 octane. I do mostly city driving around New Orleans. It is rare if I avg 30 mpg for a full tank. I usually come in under 30 mpg. I brought this up with the dealership and they said nothing is wrong. I’m not a speedster or anything like that. I had my insurance company put the tracker on my vehicle and was rated an a. This was on my vehicle for 6 months. I can’t be getting bad gas all the time. So are there any other things y’all can think of? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Are your tires under inflated? Do you still have your underbody skidplate/aero plate? Driving with the AC on all the time? And are you relying on the car to calculate the mpg or are you doing it?

OP
OP

iwasthere

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-L
Tires are good. I use the a/c on half way. Car is stock with nothing added or removed. I calculate it each time I fill up. I avg 10.5g when I fill up and am at avg 290-298 miles.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Your mileage is 100% where it should be. It's "low-ish" because you said it yourself... you do mostly city driving. Also, Econ isn't all that great for city driving, I'd turn that off.

I also have a 2017 EX-L sedan and in city only driving I get maybe 28mpg. On the highway I often see 40+.

Your mileage is normal for city stop and go.

Last edited:

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is great for city driving IMO. Usually mine gets around 28MPG in the city.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
We get these "Why do I not get the same mileage that others here claim ?" ALL THE TIME !
Many here claim that they get 40 mpg in combined driving (with a significant % of the driving in town).

The truth is, the more acceleration and deceleration you do, the worse your mileage will be.
Watch your "consumption bar" on the dash. When you accelerate, your consumption goes WAY up. Even if you feather the gas peddle.

Either, the 1.5 ltr or 2.0 ltr should get about 40 mpg on the highway, but they only get between 20 and 30 mpg in urban driving depending on how much "stop and go" you do. If most of your driving is in a congested city like New Orleans, you would be very lucky to get 30 mpg.

If you learn one thing, it should be "Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.".

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
We get these "Why do I not get the same mileage that others here claim ?" ALL THE TIME !
Many here claim that they get 40 mpg in combined driving.

The truth is, the more acceleration and deceleration you do, the worse your mileage will be.
Watch your "consumption bar" on the dash. When you accelerate, your consumption goes WAY up. Even if you feather the gas peddle.

Either, the 1.5 ltr or 2.0 ltr should get about 40 mpg on the highway, but they only get between 20 and 30 mpg in urban driving depending on how much "stop and go" you do. If most of your driving is in a congested city like New Orleans, you would be very lucky to get 30 mpg.

If you learn one thing, it should be "Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.".
Here's the thing. On a flat road, driving a constant 55mph, with no traffic, and temps of 68°F, you could easily see 45+ mpg in the base Civic turbo. And maybe some people are lucky enough to drive in that scenario.

For most of us though, a combination of traffic and hills and stop and go and hot or cold weather etc. mean that mileage varies from driver to driver. That's why these mileage threads can be a bit frustrating. They are like comparing apples to oranges.

Bottom line, if you drive exclusively city expect well under 30 mpg, maybe as low as 25. If you drive exclusively highway, you'll probably get 40+ mpg. Everybody driving a combination of city and highway can expect something in between.
Sponsored

Last edited: