2017 Civic LX is killing my back - fixes?

civichurts555

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic lx 2017
I've got a 2017 Civic LX and the drivers seat is causing me massive back pain. The seat simply doesn't have sufficient lumbar support so I end up sitting with my spine curved into a C shape.

I've tried several lumbar pillows with little success.

I recently sat in a civic hatchback which seemed to have a permanent, non-adjustable lumbar bump. This felt much better on my back, though I only sat in the car briefly. I also drove a Civic Touring which had an adjustable lumbar support, but which I found substantially less comfortable. Has anyon else found this to be the case?

Could I possibly buy and install a civic hatchback seat in my car? Any other creative fixes available?
Sponsored

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag

cestjoel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I've got a 2017 Civic LX and the drivers seat is causing me massive back pain. The seat simply doesn't have sufficient lumbar support so I end up sitting with my spine curved into a C shape.

I recently sat in a civic hatchback which seemed to have a permanent, non-adjustable lumbar bump. This felt much better on my back, though I only sat in the car briefly. I also drove a Civic Touring which had an adjustable lumbar support, but which I found substantially less comfortable. Has anyon else found this to be the case?

Could I possibly buy and install a civic hatchback seat in my car? Any other creative fixes available?
I agree — the seats are awful. I own a Sport Hatch and had back aches the first few weeks. I suppose I've gotten used to it. But you're right, no lumbar arch support. (I miss my Lexus seats)

OP
OP

civichurts555

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic lx 2017
As I said, I've purchased two different lumbar supports (one mesh with a metal frame, one a standard back cushion) with very little relief.

I'll look into that thread, thanks.

What's your height fwiw? I'm 6'3" and it's driving me nuts but my 5'4" gf has no problems with the seats.

I don't have a problem with my LX seats and my back is jacked up. Try one of the many options on amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_3?rh=i:aps,k:lumbar+driving&page=3&keywords=lumbar+driving&ie=UTF8&qid=1505107200&spIA=B01HI8KPOM,B071F83T3T,B01M0X8VAG,B071XL2FDN,B00V2L5JRA,B01N4O0A4P,B00EM03EGQ,B00M07WNSI

As per this thread the front seats in the sedan and hatchback are the same http://www.civicx.com/threads/hatch-and-sedan-seats-the-same.10367/ call your dealer to inquire I suppose or look for aftermarket.

OP
OP

civichurts555

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic lx 2017
It's an automatic, so definitely not clutch issues here. Im the sole driver 99% of the time, so it's not that either.

I've tried the seat in every combination of positions possible, so it's not that either.

In my opinion the seat is just too squishy and offers insufficient lumbar support for me to be comfortable. It also doesn't help that the upper part of the seat and the headrest force my head forward, out of its natural position.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Weird. I had much worse seat comfort on my 2010 Si than I do on this 2017 Sport hatch. Haven't had one back problem so far. Even the seats on my 2016 Mustang GT were worse than these and the driver's seat had full adjustability.

RallyeeRedAZ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree the seats are not comfortable i tend to have back pain sometimes after a longer drive, the seats in my 15 accord sport were the best i wish my civic had similar.

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
Is the seat structure the same on all trims?

REDRAGN53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Civic now..
I'm still waiting for some aftermarket brackets/sliders to mount some aftermarket seats.
PCI was working on some...

rapjunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX sedan
Country flag

Try flipping your headrest around. The stock one pushes your head forward at an uncomfortable angle.

relentlessX

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I would also try different seating setting. Set the backrest fully supporting your back, I usually set the backrest to almost close to 90 degree.

Devcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic EX-T Coupe 1.5L T, 2020 Camaro LT1 6.2L V8, 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4.0L L6
Country flag
I have issues with my sciatic nerve and still recovering from a back injury but my EX-T seats are very comfortable to me with the manual lumbar it and the reclining abilities. Maybe the EX-T seats would work for you as well not sure of the difference between the 2 trims of seats besides the EX-T having heated seats.
Sponsored