First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Everyone. I know there is a lot of people out there that want more information on how far they can push their CVT model civics but there is not a lot of people that have shared hard results yet so I just wanted to share my current results and also shed light on to what the end goal is for my car. I am hoping I can help other people that are looking to push there 1.5L CVT and find how far they can go is. Currently I am running a Hondata Race Flash Pro with the 6+ PSI w/ Flex Fuel running full e85 for the majority of the time that I have had the conversion kit. I also have a Boomba racing BOV but I do not believe that adds anything but cool noises and less of a chance for boost leak. This is my daily and i have driven 8k+ miles on this setup and I have yet to have any issues. I am not the most aggressive driver in the world but i do get on the throttle pretty hard and I have taken the car to the drag strip multiple times on this setup and the car is still running great. I really wanted to see what the car was pushing to the wheel so i took it to the dyno and I was very happy with the results. 226whp 242lb/ft is pretty good and was were i was expecting to be. For the future of the car I want to get it to 300whp and leave the torque were it is at for obvious reasons or maybe even tune down the torque a little. I have a PRL CAI, PRL IC w/ piping, and a PRL FP/DP Combo all ordered and should be installed by the end of July. At that point I am going back to the dyno and am going to push for the 300 number. I might order the W1 Turbo to help keep the PSI down and the horsepower up as well as do a full 3in custom exhaust to help alleviate back pressure and keep the power in the high end. I am a little nervous about this endeavor but I believe it is possible to do reliably as long as the torque is kept down. Here is some pictures/videos of the results. I will give an update once i am FBO and I take it back to the dyno to get tuned. I hope I am able to shed some light and actual results for cvt owners instead of the "go trade it in for an si/manual" responses we usually get. If there is anyone who is making more power than me on their cvt and have dyno results feel free to share because i have not found anyone with results take their CVT this far. I also want to mention again no tuning was done on the dyno I was just getting a baseline for when I go FBO. I am just on hondata +6 PSI and full E85. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic LX CVT Dyno Results IMG_6174.JPG
Sponsored

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Nice post. I’m thinking you’re probably right at the limit of power you should subject the CVT to. At the least, you’re showing that there’s plenty of room for some of us to boost the power more. I’m personally more concerned with testing what the car can do without ecu tunes or flex fuel kits, but what I’m seeing already is the CVT quite forgiving.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uh what.... you must not use the search bar...

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Uh what.... you must not use the search bar...
? I was about to tag you buddy and bring this to your attention. He has some good numbers. You are already at what he's trying to achieve.

I am very, VERY interested in this as the dyno tells me nothing without a before and after.

OP
OP
CornfedCivic

CornfedCivic

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my most recent best in the 1/8th. I don’t have my old time slips anymore but I remember my best being a 9.95 before e85 and Hondata.. My tread was completely gone on my tires when I went back on e85 and got my record so I think there is room for improvement. I just got new wheels and tires a couple weeks ago and I haven’t gotten the chance to go back yet on fresh tires.
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic LX CVT Dyno Results 1593523171028

• Love
Reactions: Myx

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is my most recent best in the 1/8th. I don’t have my old time slips anymore but I remember my best being a 9.95 before e85 and Hondata.. My tread was completely gone on my tires when I went back on e85 and got my record so I think there is room for improvement. I just got new wheels and tires a couple weeks ago and I haven’t gotten the chance to go back yet on fresh tires.
1593523171028.png
What was the weather like? Elevation/grade of the track?

I thought running a non-paddle cvt on a dyno was a non-starter. Now, I'm wondering if I should get on a dyno before tuning or modding any further.
My 1/8 time, from when I only had front and down pipes upgraded, was 9.1s at 81mph. I did not imagine my car could have been producing anywhere near your torque and power numbers. Now I have a flex fuel kit. So if Apple then Orange then Banana.... If I do anything further I'll be jeopardizing my CVT.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No my model does not have paddles
I have a 2018 Honda Civic EX (CVT). It do not have paddle shifters. My wife's 2018 Sport Hatch (CVT) do have paddle shifters.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He shows he is near Fort Myers. Searching for 1/8 mile tracks by Fort Myers, Florida shows up Immokalee Regional Raceway. Immokalee Track elevation is 36.1 ft.. His timeslip shows the date of 2/15/19 @9:34pm. It was a Friday night. It was 60F, 82% humidity at approximately 9:30pm. The track air density was at 475ft. Winds were SW at 4-5mph. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I thought running a non-paddle cvt on a dyno was a non-starter. Now, I'm wondering if I should get on a dyno before tuning or modding any further.
My 1/8 time, from when I only had front and down pipes upgraded, was 9.1s at 81mph. I did not imagine my car could have been producing anywhere near your torque and power numbers. Now I have a flex fuel kit. So if Apple then Orange then Banana.... If I do anything further I'll be jeopardizing my CVT.
I could not dyno my CVT because it does not have paddle shifters. Paddle shifters allow the CVT to stay in gear. Without it, my car would go into limp home mode. So no dyno.

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He shows he is near Fort Myers. Searching for 1/8 mile tracks by Fort Myers, Florida shows up Immokalee Regional Raceway. Immokalee Track elevation is 36.1 ft.. His timeslip shows the date of 2/15/19 @9:34pm. It was a Friday night. It was 60F, 82% humidity. The track air density was at 475ft. He had winds blowing SW at 4-5mph. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

I could not dyno my CVT because it does not have paddle shifters. Paddle shifters allow the CVT to stay in gear. Without it, my car would go into limp home mode. So no dyno.
So OP's track conditions weren't drastically different from mine. Idk... Maybe the dyno was generous? I would never thought I am making that much tq/hp, and with a quicker time I'm making more. Just puts the fear in me.

@Myx To the point about you're being unable to dyno, not having paddles, the OP doesn't either. How'd they do it?

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Myx To the point about you're being unable to dyno, not having paddles, the OP doesn't either. How'd they do it?
This is a good question. I was trying to have my car dyno'd at Innovative Motoworks on their dynapak. This is hooked up directly to the front wheels vs a dynojet where your wheels are on top of rollers.

It was explained that on the dynapak dyno, since only my front wheels are moving, the ecu puts my car in 'limp home' mode. This is because the ecu is looking for all my wheels to be turning rather than just two.

However, I know Innovative Motorworks have a roller dyno as well but we didn't discuss that option.

Edit: Ok...I just got off the phone with Derek at Innovative Motorworks. What I explained earlier was correct. Since Innovative Motorworks have an AWD dyno as well, I asked why couldn't I dyno the CVT on that since all four rollers (hence all four wheels) would be turning at the same time. He explained that there is still a speed differential between the two rollers (front and rear) so there would be a speed difference from the front and back wheels. This will not allow the car to be dyno'd. He attempted this on another car with the same results.

It still does not explain how OP was able to dyno his vehicle. Do take note that it doesn't look like a typical dyno session, where you see one horsepower line and one torque line. It looks like it may have even shifted gears and continued. I used to dyno all my previous cars in all gears, 1-2-3-4, letting it shift on the dyno. I personally wanted to what the change was from a modification in all gears, not just one with a 1 to 1 ratio. It was only a preference of mine. This isn't typical. Even still, it doesn't appear he went into a 'limp home' mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CornfedCivic

CornfedCivic

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He shows he is near Fort Myers. Searching for 1/8 mile tracks by Fort Myers, Florida shows up Immokalee Regional Raceway. Immokalee Track elevation is 36.1 ft.. His timeslip shows the date of 2/15/19 @9:34pm. It was a Friday night. It was 60F, 82% humidity at approximately 9:30pm. The track air density was at 475ft. Winds were SW at 4-5mph. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
I can verify everything here is correct thanks for pulling all that up!:thumbsup:
I would never thought I am making that much tq/hp, and with a quicker time I'm making more.
I was on completely bald tires and was spinning a lot so I feel like that might have been my issue because theoretically I should have been making more power than you. Were you in S, L, or D? Did you break boost? Were you breaking the tires lose or were you hooking pretty good?
That is a great question. This was my first time anywhere near a dyno but it seemed like they did not have any issues with getting results. I wasn’t aware CVTs had issues being Dyno’d until now.
Sponsored