2017 Civic Hatchback U.S. Model Lineup Revealed, Including Sport Model

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I would consider the Si over the CTR on practicality alone. Don't get me wrong, the CTR is plenty capable. But after already driving a 330 HP FWD for this many miles, I could use something with a more compliant suspension and a sunroof.
Sponsored

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Why an Si hatch when you'll soon get the CTR hatch? I could see a case for a lower tune Sport Touring 6MT (not offered) but there's no need for the Si when the CTR will be available.
The CTR is actually my first choice; but there is a very good chance that it's going to be a somewhat limited release and/or dealers are going to apply some pretty high markups. This will probably be the case at least for the first year of release. So well into 2018/2019. All speculation on my part of course but we do have some historical examples from other manufacturers.

This is exactly what happened with the Focus RS, MSRP is $36k, I only found 4 listed on cars.com listed near MSRP and all those are 800 miles away. The majority are listed at >$40k, many are even in the $50k price range. There is only 1 RS within 100 miles of me and that one is listed at $47k.

I love Hondas but paying >$40k for a Civic or Focus seems a bit wrong. I get they aren't exactly plain Civics or Foci; but at >$40k you have waaaay better options.

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I love Hondas but paying >$40k for a Civic or Focus seems a bit wrong.
I remember looking at the Mugen Si and thinking that was too much $$$... not sure what those Ford dealers are thinking asking $10k+ on a Focus. Yeah these cars aren't worth that kind of markup, and I can't really see paying more than MSRP even myself.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I remember looking at the Mugen Si and thinking that was too much $$$... not sure what those Ford dealers are thinking asking $10k+ on a Focus. Yeah these cars aren't worth that kind of markup, and I can't really see paying more than MSRP even myself.
The Mugen Si was a joke but suckers still bought them. The Focus RS does sell at those prices, I'm guessing the ones listed above $50k might not be flying off the lots but I'm sure those listed >$40k probably do sell, people buy them and the CTR will be no different I suspect.

Just for fun, here's the most expensive Focus RS listed at the moment (with a very generous $5k dealer discount).:crazy:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Hatchback U.S. Model Lineup Revealed, Including Sport Model NB8sNxn

That's gotta be some kind of placeholder or something, no way could it be real but just thought it was pretty funny. :p

Last edited:

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
Why an Si hatch when you'll soon get the CTR hatch? I could see a case for a lower tune Sport Touring 6MT (not offered) but there's no need for the Si when the CTR will be available.
The Si and the CTR are very, very different vehicles.

That's like asking, "why have a BMW 340i when the M3 is available?"

Even though it's a Honda, the CTR is going to be a rougher, more temperamental vehicle, even if only by small degrees. Add to that the fact that the CTR probably won't come with a number of creature comforts, such as a sunroof, upgraded stereo, and the like - for good reason.

If you want to race like a maniac, you get a CTR and modify it.

If you want to race with little effort, you get a CTR.

If you want to race for cheaper (or with more "involvement" in the project), you get an Si and juice it up.

If you just want a slightly more engaging Civic, you get an Si and leave it alone.

And as for the availability of an Si hatch - logic indicates it's more likely than not, especially since there's been no evidence to suggest we won't get one (unless somebody here is spreading rumors with secret insider information that they haven't disclosed, which is entirely possible) - but we won't know until we see the final lineup.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Likely 9,000 reasons ($34k vs $25k) and a moonroof.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The Mugen Si was a joke but suckers still bought them. The Focus RS does sell at those prices, I'm guessing the ones listed above $50k might not be flying off the lots but I'm sure those listed >$40k probably do sell, people buy them and the CTR will be no different I suspect.

Just for fun, here's the most expensive Focus RS listed at the moment (with a very generous $5k dealer discount).:crazy:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic Hatchback U.S. Model Lineup Revealed, Including Sport Model NB8sNxn

That's gotta be some kind of placeholder or something, no way could it be real but just thought it was pretty funny. :p
Note the double negative on the "Dealer Discount"

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The Si and the CTR are very, very different vehicles.

That's like asking, "why have a BMW 340i when the M3 is available?"
The problem is that the Si and CTR is more like a 328i vs. the M3. While we don't know what the next Si will be like I suspect you'll be disappointed with it. Its very likely going to be based on a tuned 1.5L turbo engine instead of the 2.0T that everyone is pining for. At the price the Si will go for, I just don't see it happening. The Si is really quite tame (sorta lame) - its never been a very fast car at all.

Just my opinion - the Si may not really truly satisfy your need for speed, but beggars can't be choosers and for the money its definitely a nice option to have.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Yeah, that "discount" is just adding an extra $5000 to the price. Lol
Like I said it's very generous. :p

Was reading through some posts on a Focus RS forum and apparently this is a bit of a problem.

Most people reporting on average a markup of $2-6k, so not nearly as insane $72k markup I posted. Still pretty crazy that these markups are being applied at all...but I guess if people are buying them.

todd111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element SC
Country flag
It'll be interesting to see the features on each trim level. Being a tall person, I can't have a sunroof because it cuts into the headroom but it'd be great if I could get a 6spd hatchback loaded with everything including CarPlay but without a sunroof.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You won't be able to get that combination in the US but you can in Canada.

todd111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element SC
Country flag
You won't be able to get that combination in the US but you can in Canada.
Yes, loaded is probably unlikely but I wonder what the Sport (non-touring) will have. If it's without a sunroof (like the Accord Sport), great. If it's without a Sunroof and has CarPlay even better (but probably unlikely).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The basics have already been posted. The Sport will not have a sunroof. It will come with the 6 speed manual and a higher power output (180HP, 177TQ) and a free flow exhaust. Metal pedals, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. But, it will only come with the basic 4 speaker (no android or apple) infotainment system. It will also have 18" wheels with 235/40 tires.

That's for the US. The Canadian Sport will be much more full featured.

todd111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element SC
Country flag
The basics have already been posted. The Sport will not have a sunroof. It will come with the 6 speed manual and a higher power output (180HP, 177TQ) and a free flow exhaust. Metal pedals, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob. But, it will only come with the basic 4 speaker (no android or apple) infotainment system. It will also have 18" wheels with 235/40 tires.

That's for the US. The Canadian Sport will be much more full featured.
Thanks for the info...somehow I missed that. I get irritated when people post without researching...looks like I just became one of those people.
Sponsored