2017 Civic Hatchback U.S. Model Lineup Revealed, Including Sport Model

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag
There is actually quite a demand for the manual in a higher trim and always has, hence the EX accord with 6sp. One must only look towards many online publications, other forums, social media, etc.

I agree with you, that it may be not be as big as those who prefer automatic or CVT, however the market definitely is there. That's why other brands such as VW and Mazda are very popular choices. However, I prefer Honda for many reasons.
I've driven stick my whole life. Strongly prefer manual transmissions. This being said:

The take rate for manual transmissions, industry wide, in the USA, is very low. 5% on a good day, or less.

You used to be able to buy Civics in higher trims with a manual. For example, an EX manual Civic sedan was possible a few years ago. Honda killed it due to...you guessed it--lack of demand. If they sold like hotcakes, it would still be around. The reason the LX is still around with a manual is that a few people buy it, and the volume continues to barely over above the kill line. Oh, and it's nice to be able to advertise a loss leader at a cheapo price, that car being the strippo manual. Can't advertise a strippo EX-L manual very effectively.

All kinds of cars used to be available with manual transmission. Camry, Altima, Maxima, CR-V, RAV4, the list goes on. The reason they are no longer offered in any trim level is that not enough people purchased them with a stick shift.

Even mass market vehicles like trucks, where guys actually bought manuals, gone. Try buying a manual F-150 or Silverado with a gas engine.

I disagree that there is quite a demand for manuals in high trim levels. No, there sadly is not. These cars used to exist, and they withered on the vine, and were dropped due to poor sales. BMW has even said they will drop the manual option on their high end performance M cars with the next generation.

The EX Accord is a total unicorn. Honda probably sells a few hundred a year, out of tens or hundreds of thousands of cars. Don't be surprised if it goes away with the next gen Accord.

I used to manage inventory for a relatively large VW dealership in a large city. I ordered whatever I wanted for the store, it was actually amazing how much autonomy they gave me. I tried ordering the "enthusiast" cars for a while. Manual, high trim, etc. You used to be able to order this with VW, pretty much whatever you wanted. You want a V6 Passat with all the toys and manual? Sure. You want a stick shift turbo Passat wagon with leather, AWD,and fancy audio, etc? No problem. Here is the thing. Those cars rotted on the lot and were total sales death. Eventually, if you were lucky, a dealer from 200 miles away would call you wanting to dealer trade for the killer car that was a lot rock. Eventually, after beating my head against the wall, I came to the reality that I needed to stock what sold. Sure, it was cool to see the optioned-out manual car come in on the truck. But you stay in business by turning cars, not running a unicorn museum.

You can't order VWs like that these days. Lack of demand. There are still some manuals out there in VW land, because they are a euro-centric company, and Europe is pretty much the only large market where people buy stick shift to any degree. But you'll see manuals dwindle with VW, too. For instance, they finally canned the manual Passat not long ago after offering it for decades.

The unfortunate reality is that high trim manual cars appeal to about 2% of the buying public. At that level, it's not worth the trouble to produce and stock them. You sell a few right off the bat to a couple of hard core guys, but after you meet that initial demand, the cars are dead.

VW and Mazda manuals are not popular choices. Both of those companies sell manuals at a 10% take rate or less. Maybe in a niche product like the GTI, it is higher, but they don't sell enough GTIs in the USA to matter anyway. The number of Grand Touring Mazda3s sold with a stick is tiny, as is the number of manual Mazda6 sedans of any trim. These cars get a large amount of attention in the enthusiast press, which is totally disproportionate to the amount of interest in the real world.

I haven't even gotten into how much harder it is to regulate emissions with a manual vs. an automatic. Another reason they will go away as regs get more stringent over time.

TL, DR: I see where you are coming from, but your (and my) preferences are in the huge minority, almost so small as to be insignificant.

Last edited:

todd111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element SC
Country flag
I'd get a manual mainly because I hate CVTs. If Honda offered a DCT, I'd probably get that because of traffic and my wife's dislike of manuals.

Tsturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MDX Advance SH-AWD, 2018 TLX 2.4 w/8DCT
Country flag
Why the hate on CVT's? I am just asking because I don't know and have never driven one yet. It appears Honda got this one right so I just wonder while some hate CVT's and some love it?

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Automatic is the future folks. Only old timers are still buying manuals. That being said. Manual Cars are old a short fuze. Auto DRIVING is the near future, sadly.

todd111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Honda Element SC
Country flag
Why the hate on CVT's? I am just asking because I don't know and have never driven one yet. It appears Honda got this one right so I just wonder while some hate CVT's and some love it?
I've owned a car with a CVT and it was NOT fun to drive. In my opinion, the CVT saps away the torque and makes it feel gutless compared to a manual, DCT or traditional automatic.

Automatic is the future folks. Only old timers are still buying manuals. That being said. Manual Cars are old a short fuze. Auto DRIVING is the near future, sadly.
I said "CVT", not all automatics. In fact, I'd buy a DCT or a traditional automatic if Honda offered it. I disagree that "only old timers are buying manuals". Many people who prefer manuals are auto enthusiasts of all ages.
Sponsored