2017 Civic Hatchback Oil Change Maintenance

Sandman210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hello All,

I bought my 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback this past June and it only has a little over 1800 miles on it. I have already gotten the maintenance minder for an oil change. Is that normal? I was under the impression you get an oil change every 5k miles. I called my local dealership and they said its no longer based on miles but the maintenance reminder. Is this true or a falsehood for more business?

Thanks!
Sponsored

EvildoerTsui

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport, 2019 VW Golf
Country flag
Hello All,

I bought my 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback this past June and it only has a little over 1800 miles on it. I have already gotten the maintenance minder for an oil change. Is that normal? I was under the impression you get an oil change every 5k miles. I called my local dealership and they said its no longer based on miles but the maintenance reminder. Is this true or a falsehood for more business?

Thanks!
They are correct...If you drive your car everyday, you property have a lot of stop and go travel and each trip is very short...That will actually put a lot of stress on the engine as it doesn't have a chance to warm up before you shut it off again...I got my hatch on Jan 23 and have put 4000km in on already, but the maintenance reminder tells me my oil still have 80% life...

PMMonly4HATCH

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald Frump
Threads
Reaction score
Only bad people (Not Cars) come to America
Vehicle(s)
'17 HATCH ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello All,

Thanks!
It is true, it shortens the life of the oil. I was amazed that the MM wanted my FF out in like 4000 miles. I reset it twice without changing it, only for the FF and never again, to get it to around 6000 miles and I felt comfy letting the FF go at that mileage Since then, it has been around 4000 miles again and I changed it right away. Anything but the FF and I am good with the MM, namely cause I got a bunch of oil on clearance this past winter. 0w-20 full syn! and so a surplus of oil so the majority of the materials since good oil is next to impossible but good filters aren't.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sandman210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks everyone for your replies. My concern is if my engine starts having issues under the warranty period, the dealer could say they wont cover it since I did not get the oil changed when the maintenance minder came on. Will that be the case?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Yes. Follow the maintenance minder.

You have a lot of stop and go. I do mostly all highway. Current at 10500 miles and at 30%.

ramnj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I plan on changing my oil every 5,000 miles based on my current DD of around 50 miles per day. If all my driving was local stop and go, I would change it every 3,000 miles. I do this no matter what the digital meter says and been doing it since my first vehicle back in the '70's.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
My daily commute with is around 30 mile round trip with stop and go with every 1 mile 2. if I stay in regular mode, I will need an oil change every 4K. I turn on econ mode on my way home and It give me an extra 1500 miles. I change oil every 5500 miles.
Sponsored