2017 Civic Hatch Info/Brochure & Trim Info

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I want to like the Sport model but in the real world I know I would hate it. The 18" wheels look great but the reality is huge wheel tire combos tend to slow acceleration. And no way I can have 40 profile tires on the potholed streets around here. And that lip kit looks like something out of the JC Whitney catalog.

But the main problem is lack of modern amenities. Right now I drive a 2010 Kia Forte SX sedan. The car has the 2.4 liter engine and an auto with manual shift mode. 173 hp. 215/45/17 tires. Ok those are the basics. Let's compare a few features between the Sport and my car:

Forte SX: Variable intermittent wipers: Yes ........... Civic Sport: No
Forte SX: Heated side mirrors with integrated turn signals: Yes ........ Civic Sport: No
Forte SX: Sirius satellite radio: Yes....... Civic Sport: No
Forte SX: 6 speaker stereo with tweeters: Yes.......... Civic Sport: No

Not saying any of this is the end of the world but you get used to having certain features. The Civic is certainly a better engineered car which is why my next car will most likely be a Civic. I'm just extremely disappointed with the packaging on the Sport.

I wish the EX level would have come with the manual and that car would have been perfect. And instead of that tacked on looking black lip kit I wish the Sport had variable int wipers, heated side mirrors and a better stereo.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to disagree.
Some of that's fixable though. Take off the 18s and sell them, or put them in your attic til you sell the car, and get lightweight 17s. Add a 7" Carplay screen and speakers.

My 330 had rain sensing wipers like the Sport Touring - they stopped working a few years ago - at first it was annoying, but I quickly got used to it - there's not even intermittent anymore, only low and high speed, or I can tap the lever and it'll wipe once.

So it has no intermittent wipers, no Sirius or HD radio or even Bluetooth, no heated mirrors or wipers etc. Why am I still driving my tired old 330? Cause it has a great engine, nice shifter and is pleasant to drive. To me, those little conveniences, you think you need, but you really don't.

The Sport has a nice engine, 6MT and drives nice, nothing else - for cheap money, that's the appeal. Having said that, I sure wish I could have both! (amenities and 6MT)
Sponsored

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that's where Honda is coming from with the LX Sport trim. I remember back in the early 2000s there was a huge outcry among Honda enthusiasts for less features. The Honda tuner crowd didn't want features adding weight and complexity to their cars. They wanted a great engine and great manual transmission.

Cars like the S2000 and even the CRX were "pure" sports cars. Lacking in features but great driving and tuner capabilities. And I think it's that crowd Honda is trying to appeal to with the sport trim. Keeping the car low on techy distractions and focused on driver involvement.

I suppose all in all that crowd that begged for stripped down "pure" sport models has all but vanished in favor of those that want an equal combo of sport and features. Considering Honda did say this civic was designed taking it back to its roots a stripped out sport model makes sense. But they might just have been 10 years too late.

LT2BLT2A6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 A6 15 RX350
I feel like the US gets the inferior version of the car.[/QUOTE]

The US has been getting the dumbed-down version of the Civic for years. What we have is by no means bad but it lags FAR behind European versions in content, if no longer style. I do wish they would at least add proper blind-spot monitoring though.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
Very basic and overpriced. For the same price, you can grab a 2016 CRV.

Kluch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 civic
So I'll be in the market for a new car in the spring most likely and I stopped into a honda dealership yesterday and while waiting on my wife's 2003 beater civic to get it's airbags replaced I took a look at an EX hatch model on the showroom floor. I was actually really impressed by it (didn't initially expect to be that impressed). Initially after looking at the trims yesterday I felt like the ex was the way to go as I'm not concerned with leather seats and the highest trim would be out of my price range. Now I'm thinking I'd be ok with the sport. Mainly for the fact that the cvt comes with paddle shifters and the stereo (though it doesn't have AA/A.Carplay) actually has physical knobs to use. I think the greatest downsides would be lack of a sunroof, dual-zone climate and heated seats.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
So I'll be in the market for a new car in the spring most likely and I stopped into a honda dealership yesterday and while waiting on my wife's 2003 beater civic to get it's airbags replaced I took a look at an EX hatch model on the showroom floor. I was actually really impressed by it (didn't initially expect to be that impressed). Initially after looking at the trims yesterday I felt like the ex was the way to go as I'm not concerned with leather seats and the highest trim would be out of my price range. Now I'm thinking I'd be ok with the sport. Mainly for the fact that the cvt comes with paddle shifters and the stereo (though it doesn't have AA/A.Carplay) actually has physical knobs to use. I think the greatest downsides would be lack of a sunroof, dual-zone climate and heated seats.
Elantra is what you want. It has what you need at 4-6K less.

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
Why's that? You mean the elantra gt?
I've had a Hyundai with paddle shifters. I would suggest driving the sport and elantra with the paddle shifters (if that's a feature that matters to you a lot) and you'll see that you will rarely (if ever) use them. I would also recommend driving the sport in the MT also if you're looking for an engaging driving experience. the gear throws are super short and smooth with a very light and easy clutch. I drove the lx hatch wit a 6MT the other day after not driving a manual for 4 years and it was probably one of the easiest manuals.

Kluch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 civic
I've had a Hyundai with paddle shifters. I would suggest driving the sport and elantra with the paddle shifters (if that's a feature that matters to you a lot) and you'll see that you will rarely (if ever) use them. I would also recommend driving the sport in the MT also if you're looking for an engaging driving experience. the gear throws are super short and smooth with a very light and easy clutch. I drove the lx hatch wit a 6MT the other day after not driving a manual for 4 years and it was probably one of the easiest manuals.
Good to know. I love driving stick and will definitely have to give it a try. The only thing that might push me over the edge is that my wife doesn't know how and would probably prefer the auto trans. I could teach her but regardless I don't think she's going to want to deal with the manual when she drives it. I guess we'll see going forward.

Concept_cody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 civic lx sedan
Good to know. I love driving stick and will definitely have to give it a try. The only thing that might push me over the edge is that my wife doesn't know how and would probably prefer the auto trans. I could teach her but regardless I don't think she's going to want to deal with the manual when she drives it. I guess we'll see going forward.
ah yes the wife does weigh in heavily on these decisions. Mine is the same except she used to had a MT turbo bug so she kinda misses the fun of a MT
Sponsored