First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Hatchback EX PMM
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all started recently having some AC issues with it running intermittently hot and cold at times. Recently it started to make a noise that sounded like running water throughout the air vents only while the AC is on. Brought it in outside of 3 yr 36k warranty (at 35k miles, almost 1 yr out of warranty) to have the system checked. Paid for diag, found out the condenser was ok but the AC drain was draining properly, causing it to hold water (he said about 1-2 gallons), which caused the "running water" issue. Cleared out the drain. 1 problem down.

Found out that refrigerant was low. They recharged the system back up and added dye. Through testing they determined there was a small crack in the AC Compressor to the tune of $1600 roughly. Said it was not a pressing issue and may be able to make it through the summer. I just made a call into Honda USA to open up a goodwill case.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Happened to me last year. Just past my 3 year warranty when it broke. Called Honda corporate and they said that I’ll pay a $200 co-pay for the compressor and condenser to which was fine with me rather than paying $3800 for everything.

OP
OP
ztsmith

ztsmith

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happened to me last year. Just past my 3 year warranty when it broke. Called Honda corporate and they said that I’ll pay a $200 co-pay for the compressor and condenser to which was fine with me rather than paying $3800 for everything.
Thank you. I'm hoping for some help like that, it looks like they hooked you up.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
small crack in the a/c compressor? They typically grenade or have a seal failure, they never just "sorta crack". We've been chasing a/c system issues on the 10th gen for 5 years now. At first we were doing a/c compressors like mad, all the "bad ones" seemed to be leaking a lot of oil from a seal. Then Honda sent out a bulletin saying the oil leak is normal. Whatever.

Now we have been replacing evaporators a few times a day. They are like porous. After a few years the problem shows up. I replace a few a week now. Other areas have seen the condenser recall fix the problem, but I've rarely seen one of those go bad in our SouthWest climate.

OP
OP
ztsmith

ztsmith

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went back and re-read over my worksheet, it was a small leak from the AC Compressor seal. I was extremely low on refrigerant when I brought it in, I cant recall the exact but it was well under half of what was supposed to be in there. My car sat around for a large part of the last year, 35K on a 2017, and i hardly use my AC, living in the Northeast where you only need a few months out of the year. Honda is warrantying a very large majority of if through goodwill. Thank you for posting from an honest dealership perspective.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had mine fail on my 17 the second summer after hearing a squeal started the first summer and the writer said "we don't hear anything." But I knew that the compressor was on it's way out.
Sponsored