2017 Civic Engine Knock

BOJANGLES

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC
Has anyone had this issue. Car has 7,640 miles and recently developed this engine knock noise. This is not the tapping style noise from the fuel injectors. Very unhappy. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
First question. What gas are you using?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Has anyone had this issue. Car has 7,640 miles and recently developed this engine knock noise. This is not the tapping style noise from the fuel injectors. Very unhappy. Hoping someone can shed some light on this.
Any modifications to the vehicle?

OP
OP

BOJANGLES

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC
Any modifications to the vehicle?
Zero modifcations. Noise there cold or warm. Most notible at 1,000-2,500 rpm. Does not change as engine warms or cools.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Zero modifcations. Noise there cold or warm. Most notible at 1,000-2,500 rpm. Does not change as engine warms or cools.
I'd take it to a dealer. The handful of people that have experienced and reported engine knock on the forum either had a modified vehicle or mechanically overreved their engine. (via a mis shift)

OP
OP

BOJANGLES

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC
I'd take it to a dealer. The handful of people that have experienced and reported engine knock on the forum either had a modified vehicle or mechanically overreved their engine. (via a mis shift)
Wife drives car. Not over rev'd. At dealership today. Waiting on diagnosis. Just wondered if anyone else having this issue

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wife drives car. Not over rev'd. At dealership today. Waiting on diagnosis. Just wondered if anyone else having this issue
Ah ok. Let us know what you find out.

howrd29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX
Vehicle Showcase
I also experienced this with my 2016, 2.0 manual. I never overreved, dealer checked, no mechanical overrev codes. Btw, you can only overrev a manual car not automatic. I'm pretty sure it's the VTC actuator. I was told to keep driving and that this is normal operation of the vehicle. However, the knock is there (once the engine warms up) and wasn't there before... it's very slight, but still there. Was told to come back if it gets louder. I've had some bad luck with this car. The funny thing is, I got a dealer rental for the day that my car was in the shop, a 2018 automatic with a few thousand on it, and while extremely slight, I heard the knock also.

I know that many people will think we are nuts here, or dreaming this up, but there is some sort of a mechanical issue that has to be developing and more cars will start having it I'm thinking.

OP
OP

BOJANGLES

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC
What did they say?
What did they say?
Checked valve adjustment. Valves were loose so they did a valve adjust. Noise still there. Determined knock sound coming from within cylinder head so they are replacing the cylinder head. Waiting are parts to arrive and car to be completed. Dealership has been great. Very professional. I'll post more when vehicle is finished.
Sponsored