CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic 1.0T IMG_4944.PNG
The base version of 10 gen Civic is almost ready to hit Chinese market. It will be powered by a new 3-cylinder turbo engine with 129hp and possibly 180 kgm torque, if the 180 turbo denomination follows the same logic as her bigger 1.5 sister. Manual and CVT transmissions will be available. Performance should be not bad, considering the even lighter weight and for sure will be a very economical car to buy and drive. Base price should be very attractive, considering the 1.5 is already cheap. This version must be 15-20% cheaper in a basic trim to be interesting, since the trim will be much simplified from the current base model.
Source: Autohome
Chinese article:
http://m.autohome.com.cn/share/article/894300?from=pc

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 Civic 1.0T IMG_4945.PNG

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Three cylinders are sweet, naturally balanced, great sounding engines. We need more of these.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Three cylinders are sweet, naturally balanced, great sounding engines. We need more of these.
Im assuming you are being sarcastic, since they are far from naturally balanced engines.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Im assuming you are being sarcastic, since they are far from naturally balanced engines.
It's like a six cylinder, no 1st and 2nd order inertial forces. That's why they are smooth and sound nice. Dunno about Hondas of course.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are naturally unbalanced. A four cylinder is naturally balanced. A three cylinder need a big harmonic balancer to balance it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They are naturally unbalanced. A four cylinder is naturally balanced. A three cylinder need a big harmonic balancer to balance it.
A flat four you mean? Yeah, maybe naturally balanced is the wrong word, but BMW's 3s are very smooth, revvy and sound like a small inline six due to harmonics. It's used in the i8 and sounds incredible in that car, but still nice in the Mini or BMWs, nicer than the fours.

1.0L is probably going to be too small in a 3000 lb car though.

Jay.DeVries

Yee Yee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm talking about inline four cylinders. Two cylinders going up as two go down. That's why they are so balanced

OP
OP
CivicChina

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will try to test drive the car to see how it feels. I expect the engine to be less refined but yet powerful enough to move the car decently, especially in Chinese traffic where you dont need power at all... I still am not sure about the trim, there is nothing left on that poor civic and i can't imagine how they can lower the price enough to justify the difference with my car and not kill the Fit that is not so much cheaper and all the other useless small sedans honda sells just a bit cheaper than Civic: Greiz, City, Crider.... too many models!

CE1_nobling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX 6sp , 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon , 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 6.0
Country flag
It's like a DX model.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

HIcivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius Toyota Tacoma
Country flag
For all you talking about 3 cylinder engines being unbalanced? WHAT? The pistons are 120 degrees phased and the engine is inherently VERY BALANCED!
The only imbalance was in the valve train & that is minimal.
The BMW triples also had a counter balancer for inertial dampening to counter gyroscopic effects of the engine which made this thing as smooth as a sewing machine,& one of the finest examples of how beautiful a triple could be. NO WAY ANY inline, 4 banger is ANYWHERE NEAR balanced! A boxer, yes, but still nowhere near an inline triple. Sorry guys, ain't possible!

I've ridden a BMW, 750 TRIPLE for 100,000 miles, and it was so smooth that at any RPM you couldn't feel any engine vibration, except at lugging it at very low rpms.
So I am kinda baffled at where all you "engineers" and "engine experts" comments are comming from............

Ghostinnc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 black pearl Civic EX-T coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For all you talking about 3 cylinder engines being unbalanced? WHAT? The pistons are 120 degrees phased and the engine is inherently VERY BALANCED!
The only imbalance was in the valve train & that is minimal.
The BMW triples also had a counter balancer for inertial dampening to counter gyroscopic effects of the engine which made this thing as smooth as a sewing machine,& one of the finest examples of how beautiful a triple could be. NO WAY ANY inline, 4 banger is ANYWHERE NEAR balanced! A boxer, yes, but still nowhere near an inline triple. Sorry guys, ain't possible!

I've ridden a BMW, 750 TRIPLE for 100,000 miles, and it was so smooth that at any RPM you couldn't feel any engine vibration, except at lugging it at very low rpms.
So I am kinda baffled at where all you "engineers" and "engine experts" comments are comming from............
http://www.cartoq.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-a-3-cylinder-engine-over-a-4-cylinder/
Sponsored

Last edited: