austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Ours was not putting out cold air. Kinda warm/barely cool air. The Honda dealer told me it’s the compressor leaking. Since Honda global was hacked I haven’t been able to talk to Honda Customer Care. I want Honda to stand behind their product since I only have 23207 miles.

sounds like your may not be charged properly because what they told you is BS. An A/C in a car should blow cold air, period.
Yup basically, i bought one of those digital thermometers to measure the temp and i have some pics of the air blowing 80 - 90 degrees.

The next question is, why would my freon be low? Most likely a leak somewhere?
Sponsored

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Ours was not putting out cold air. Kinda warm/barely cool air. The Honda dealer told me it’s the compressor leaking. Since Honda global was hacked I haven’t been able to talk to Honda Customer Care. I want Honda to stand behind their product since I only have 23207 miles.

sounds like your may not be charged properly because what they told you is BS. An A/C in a car should blow cold air, period.
Click this link to see the warranty extension. I attached a pic of the first page of it below. If it is a leak, it will be replaced under warranty by Honda free of charge. Mine did same thing --> was working fine when I bought the car in October, went to use it end of April and only blew warm air. Took it to the Honda dealer, mechanic noticed the leak immediately, it was replaced free of charge.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163796-0001.pdf

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue Honda AC Bulletin

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Thanks but VIN doesn’t fall under that recall. Also, it’s my compressor that’s bad, not my condenser.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks but VIN doesn’t fall under that recall. Also, it’s my compressor that’s bad, not my condenser.
I would still argue if I were you. I would also take it to another Honda dealership to have it checked as well. Some dealers are great, others are greedy and rob their customers blind while smiling at them the whole time. Good luck...

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I would still argue if I were you. I would also take it to another Honda dealership to have it checked as well. Some dealers are great, others are greedy and rob their customers blind while smiling at them the whole time. Good luck...
I would love to argue it with Honda Corporate, but their phone lines are still down because of the cyber attack. 3 days now I can’t get ahold of Honda.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would love to argue it with Honda Corporate, but their phone lines are still down because of the cyber attack. 3 days now I can’t get ahold of Honda.
I'd just go to a second dealer in the meantime and tell them its not blowing cold air and show them the bulletin. Give them as little info as possible from your experience at your other Honda dealership. If they ask you any questions, just tell them that you had a negative experience with your current dealers service dept/manager and are looking to find a new Honda dealership for future maintenance/purchases... You'll be amazed what strings dealers will pull for new customers...

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue Honda Dealers new Fairfax, VA

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I'd just go to a second dealer in the meantime and tell them its not blowing cold air and show them the bulletin. Give them as little info as possible from your experience at your other Honda dealership. If they ask you any questions, just tell them that you had a negative experience with your current dealers service dept/manager and are looking to find a new Honda dealership for future maintenance/purchases... You'll be amazed what strings dealers will pull for new customers...

Honda Dealers new Fairfax, VA.jpg
I think that’s a good idea. Especially since I bought it at Chantilly Honda, but I get all my Honda’s services at Rosenthal Honda.

austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag

Honda Dealers new Fairfax, VA.jpg
Also i have noticed if the A/C is blowing cold at idle, if i turn the car off and back on, the air instantly starts blowing warm, like the compressor isnt turning on or something.

I found the paperwork, i brought the car in under warranty at 29k miles. Called them back today and told them i was at 37k miles. Waiting for a call back. They cant charge me can they?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The weak compressor and the fact they changed to a new extremely overpriced refrigerant should be clue enough that something needs to change.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
I think that’s a good idea. Especially since I bought it at Chantilly Honda, but I get all my Honda’s services at Rosenthal Honda.
I work with those 2 dealers as well. Personally, I'd try to let them see what they can do with Honda and if that craps out then put up with muggy hot air and see how things develop. I didn't read what corp systems at Honda were hacked but that's a temporary thing which they'll resolve so be patient if you can. The last thing I would do is pay $2K out of pocket and hope for future warranty extension.

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I work with those 2 dealers as well. Personally, I'd try to let them see what they can do with Honda and if that craps out then put up with muggy hot air and see how things develop. I didn't read what corp systems at Honda were hacked but that's a temporary thing which they'll resolve so be patient if you can. The last thing I would do is pay $2K out of pocket and hope for future warranty extension.
I‘m definitely going to wait until I talk to Honda corporate before I do anything.

Quick update. Picked up my hatch today because I got tired of trying to get ahold of Honda Customer Care(3 days of trying). Good news is the dealer waived my diagnostic fee ($150.00) because they feel Honda will do something for me.

Warranty recap on my hatch:
23207 miles on the odometer
3 year ended last month on May 17th,

My hatch (actually my wife’s hatch)sat for over 2 months because of the virus. First time it gets hot outside is when we turned the A/C on and discovered the problem.

I will let folks know the outcome.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I‘m definitely going to wait until I talk to Honda corporate before I do anything.

Quick update. Picked up my hatch today because I got tired of trying to get ahold of Honda Customer Care(3 days of trying). Good news is the dealer waived my diagnostic fee ($150.00) because they feel Honda will do something for me.

Warranty recap on my hatch:
23207 miles on the odometer
3 year ended last month on May 17th,

My hatch (actually my wife’s hatch)sat for over 2 months because of the virus. First time it gets hot outside is when we turned the A/C on and discovered the problem.

I will let folks know the outcome.
Any word back from Honda yet?

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
There phone lines (or whatever) are still frogged up. No luck getting through.

Alex2893

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Polished Metal
Country flag
You are literally in the same boat i was in. I only drive 6 miles to work there and back. I drive a 2017 Civic hatch sport touring that i bought in February 2017. My girlfriend and i work at the same place and so we car pull. one week i drive and and one week she drives. Also i haven't used my AC since last summer till now. It was a hot day around the 22nd of May and i turned on my car and put the ac on. it just starts whining squealing blowing hot air. even after 10 minutes same thing. so i made an appointment with Honda service and they diagnose it with a leaking AC compressor and contaminated compressor clutch. My warranty ended in February so 4 months its been out of warranty. I only have 20,600 miles on the car. Cost of compressor replacement is $1,684.00.

So i called Honda Care Corporate to see if i could get a good will coverage. I called them on 6/5/2020 and they told me they would get back to me the following Monday or Tuesday. They never called(This was due to the Cyber Attack, I called them on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and all i get was the technical difficulties message) so on Thursday i called My service advisor and they had just got the verdict on what they will cover. I was hoping for full coverage but it was close. They are covering 90% of the repair. I pay $150. At the end of the day ill take that and run. My car is in the shop today getting the repair. After this is done and i get the few dents out of my car i think i am going to trade it in for something else. I dont need this ac breaking every year.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue honda compresor replacement quote

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue message from honda cor

kcao888

First Name
keny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic, 2019 Accord
Country flag
Good luck getting the Honda to accept your recall. I took my 2016 civic to the dealership for the AC recall. My civic is currently blowing cold on the passenger side and warm on the driver side vents so i know its leaking freon. The dealership charged me a 159.00 diagnose fee and if they find the fault to be the AC condenser then it will be warranty but of course they found a small leak near the AC compressor... At the end of the day, I paid 1,200 to replace the AC compressor and tensioner. Unfortunately outside shops don't have the correct equipment to recharge the freon. What a recall scam to bring loyal customers into the dealership to be up-sold.
Sponsored