2017 A/C Issue

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Heres my situation. My 2017 EX Hatch started blowing barely cool air. Took it in to my local dealer for diagnostic. Dealer told me I need a new compressor. BTW my VIN doesn’t show up for the crappy condenser. Quoted $2200.00 for the fix. I am 3 weeks past my 36 month warranty but I only have 23207 miles.

I service all 3 of my Honda’s at this dealership. 2008 Accord, 2013 Civic, 2017 Civic. I do all my own maintenance, so they rarely go in to service.

I have put the dealer on hold until I talk to Honda Customer Care. So ironic, but Honda Customer Care phone number has been having technical difficulties for 2 days and I can’t get through.

Any advise? I feel a little butt hurt about the quality of this A/C system. The service advisor said I needed to talk to Honda first, but I can’t even get through.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Oh, I just saw that Honda has had a giant cyber attack. No wonder the CustCare line is down.

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (White Orchid Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i hope this summer a lot of people put a complain because Honda really needs to do a real full warranty for this A/C system because its definitely not just the condenser but the whole damn A/C system.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX Sedan 2.0L NA 6MT
Country flag
Heres my situation. My 2017 EX Hatch started blowing barely cool air. Took it in to my local dealer for diagnostic. Dealer told me I need a new compressor. BTW my VIN doesn’t show up for the crappy condenser. Quoted $2200.00 for the fix. I am 3 weeks past my 36 month warranty but I only have 23207 miles.

I service all 3 of my Honda’s at this dealership. 2008 Accord, 2013 Civic, 2017 Civic. I do all my own maintenance, so they rarely go in to service.

I have put the dealer on hold until I talk to Honda Customer Care. So ironic, but Honda Customer Care phone number has been having technical difficulties for 2 days and I can’t get through.

Any advise? I feel a little butt hurt about the quality of this A/C system. The service advisor said I needed to talk to Honda first, but I can’t even get through.
This problem has been documented by Honda and a special warranty bulletin was issued in Canada that extends warranty coverage of A/C components (condenser, tubes, etc) for 10 years from the original in-service date regardless of km's.

Had my A/C condenser replaced about a month ago, 2017 LX sedan, the car is 3 years old and only 32,000km. Tried using the A/C on the first warm day and all it did was blow warm air. My car was out of the base warranty (In service was Feb 2017, so 3 years was up Feb 2020), I do have Honda Plus Extended Warranty, but it would have been covered anyways, I received the bulletin in the mail from Honda a few months prior.

Not sure if this is the same in the US or elsewhere...

Good luck with your repair. Hopefully they'll cover it for you!

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This problem has been documented by Honda and a special warranty bulletin was issued in Canada that extends warranty coverage of A/C components (condenser, tubes, etc) for 10 years from the original in-service date regardless of km's.

Had my A/C condenser replaced about a month ago, 2017 LX sedan, the car is 3 years old and only 32,000km. Tried using the A/C on the first warm day and all it did was blow warm air. My car was out of the base warranty (In service was Feb 2017, so 3 years was up Feb 2020), I do have Honda Plus Extended Warranty, but it would have been covered anyways, I received the bulletin in the mail from Honda a few months prior.

Not sure if this is the same in the US or elsewhere...

Good luck with your repair. Hopefully they'll cover it for you!
got the same service bulletin, i know some dealers are picky. I hope my dealer is okay, ill find out tomorrow! If not ill have to keep going to different dealers that will honor the Service.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
got the same service bulletin, i know some dealers are picky. I hope my dealer is okay, ill find out tomorrow! If not ill have to keep going to different dealers that will honor the Service.
If you got the bulletin, they have to replace it... Unless you somehow damaged the condenser yourself. What exactly did the service manager tell you he thought happened to it?

jbatman1080

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you got the bulletin, they have to replace it... Unless you somehow damaged the condenser yourself. What exactly did the service manager tell you he thought happened to it?
i dont know yet, i will be in tomorrow for my appointment. I have checked my condenser, i dont see any bent piping damage except some bend fins thats typically a normal occurence on condensers.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i dont know yet, i will be in tomorrow for my appointment. I have checked my condenser, i dont see any bent piping damage except some bend fins thats typically a normal occurence on condensers.
If you noticed any leakage, it should be covered. Mine was completely empty of refrigerant and the mechanic said he spotted leakage of the refrigerant on the outside of the condenser as soon as he got in there.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag

How and where to do check your VIN for crappy AC? i also have 2017 EX HB.

novy_wan_kenobi

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How and where to do check your VIN for crappy AC? i also have 2017 EX HB.
Attached is a copy of the Honda America warranty extension bulletin for A/C Condenser Leak.

I also attached a copy of the letter I received.

Let us know how it goes!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue Honda Letter 2

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017 A/C Issue Honda Letter

Attachments

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Attached is a copy of the Honda America warranty extension bulletin for A/C Condenser Leak.

I also attached a copy of the letter I received.

Let us know how it goes!

Honda Letter 2.jpg

Honda Letter.jpg

i didn't get a letter for the AC issue, i did get a letter for the oil dilution. They extended the warranty for the trans.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Check if your insurance has mechanical breakdown coverage. My insurance cover it for 6yrs or 100k miles.

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
Check if your insurance has mechanical breakdown coverage. My insurance cover it for 6yrs or 100k miles.
Good idea except that I have a very high deductible. With 2 college kids and 4 cars (3 of them friggin Hondas) we really had no choice but to have a high deductible with USAA.

austin21

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Good idea except that I have a very high deductible. With 2 college kids and 4 cars (3 of them friggin Hondas) we really had no choice but to have a high deductible with USAA.

What issues did you notice with your A/C?

I have a 2017 hatch as well and i took it to honda before the warranty expired and they said my A/C was fine.

Mine constantly blows warm air unless i am driving. Just trying to get an idea on what could be wrong with my car lol.

OP
OP
HayaiKuruma

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
What issues did you notice with your A/C?

I have a 2017 hatch as well and i took it to honda before the warranty expired and they said my A/C was fine.

Mine constantly blows warm air unless i am driving. Just trying to get an idea on what could be wrong with my car lol.
Ours was not putting out cold air. Kinda warm/barely cool air. The Honda dealer told me it’s the compressor leaking. Since Honda global was hacked I haven’t been able to talk to Honda Customer Care. I want Honda to stand behind their product since I only have 23207 miles.

sounds like your may not be charged properly because what they told you is BS. An A/C in a car should blow cold air, period.
Sponsored