Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm sorry but I think your list is less of a safety issue list then an A/C.
no rotary volume in older models => Can be controllen on the steering wheel
no good place to put glasses => I don't know how is it in American cars be in Europe this is common
not enough cup holders => Again, I think it is an American thing, but defeinately not safety related and you must not drink or eat during driving at all (at least here)
not enough USB ports => You must not do it during driving anyways

However the car's windshield defogging system that blows air directly on the window uses the A/C to blow dry air on the window. I tried it out with enabled defogging and disabled A/C (you must turn it off in the climate menu fast) and it is horrible! Now that IS a safety issue. And after a summer rain this CAN happen, it happened to me multiple times this year. My A/C is still working but not as good as last summer.
The thing is that the whole system was designed with a working A/C system in mind unlike in cars where A/C was not available or optional.
Be careful what you wish for. Do you want to be issued a ticket and have your license suspended and your car found unsafe to drive for driving with underperforming AC?
Do you want the AC test to be included in periodic safety inspections in those unfortunate jurisdictions where such inspections are required?
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Be careful what you wish for. Do you want to be issued a ticket and have your license suspended and your car found unsafe to drive for driving with underperforming AC?
Do you want the AC test to be included in periodic safety inspections in those unfortunate jurisdictions where such inspections are required?
I dont wish for it. But for me it is more of a safety concern than lack of cupholders.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I dont wish for it. But for me it is more of a safety concern than lack of cupholders.
So if I must, I hereby inform you officially that my very serious concerns about the safety of cupholders, glasses holders, and lack of USB ports were all a joke. :bump:

Btw. AC failure because of leaks happens gradually, not suddenly, and every driver is responsible for checking their vehicle before driving.

I'm not defending Honda here by any means, but AC leaks will never be a safety issue.

CastorX

First Name
BalƔzs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
So if I must, I hereby inform you officially that my very serious concerns about the safety of cupholders, glasses holders, and lack of USB ports were all a joke. :bump:

Btw. AC failure because of leaks happens gradually, not suddenly, and every driver is responsible for checking their vehicle before driving.

I'm not defending Honda here by any means, but AC leaks will never be a safety issue.
I wasnt too surprised; I actually met people (in person) who thought too small sunshades and no volume knob are safety issue. It wanst about in a Honda tho.
I know it wont be a safety issue. And I dont want them consider it a safety issue, but someone posted here the wanted to report it as a safety isse because it can be too hot. Which I think is a minor thing compred to the case with the sudden fogging I described above. I tested how effective the defogging is with ac off and I really couldnt see anything.
Sadly one way or the other this will be an expensive issue. Even with warranty I dont think it will ever reliably work.

nags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
So I just picked it up after they replaced the compressor. I was never very impressed with the AC in this car from the day I bought it and based on the drive home just now I think the AC is working better than it was when it was new. While I was there I mentioned to my service advisor that I've heard this is a pretty common issue and asked if he sees it often. He did say yes but also said the part on my 19 is different from the one that generally has the issue on the 16-18's. Not sure if that's true or not, as I haven't confirmed myself, but that's what he said. Hopefully this lasts because I'll be out of warranty soon and don't want to be spending money left and right to fix the AC.

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
So I just picked it up after they replaced the compressor. I was never very impressed with the AC in this car from the day I bought it and based on the drive home just now I think the AC is working better than it was when it was new. While I was there I mentioned to my service advisor that I've heard this is a pretty common issue and asked if he sees it often. He did say yes but also said the part on my 19 is different from the one that generally has the issue on the 16-18's. Not sure if that's true or not, as I haven't confirmed myself, but that's what he said. Hopefully this lasts because I'll be out of warranty soon and don't want to be spending money left and right to fix the AC.
just speculation, but I wonder if these systems are undercharged. I was pretty aggressive and charged it to 45 psi (Low pressure port) right at border of ā€œoverchargedā€ on my gauge and itā€˜s freezing itā€™s like 60F in this thing right now

( I donā€™t remember manufacturer specs I looked it up back then)

Last edited:

Shtumpa

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
If I remember theres a sticker somewhere on car with the psi recommendations

Edit: under hood it says maximum .425 I went above that I think to 45 maybe more I emptied entire 8oz canister into system (if that decimal is the same as psi no idea lol)
Sponsored