2017/2018 Hatch Owners - Trunk footprint?

First Name
zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey what's up I'm looking at some CPO 2017 and New 2018 Hatch in Sport and the EXL trims and I'm trying to figure out if our folded up stroller will lay flat in the trunk. I can't seem to find the footprint dimensions (just the width and length) of the trunk. They only list cubic feet. The stroller is 29.53"W x 24.21"L x 10.24"H when folded.

Also I read that the EXL trim has a raised hump near the rear seats but the sport trims do not. If anyone wouldn't mind measuring the area of their EXL or Sport hatch-bed, I'd be super appreciative. Would rather not drag the stroller to the dealer.

Thanks!
Sponsored

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Hey what's up I'm looking at some CPO 2017 and New 2018 Hatch in Sport and the EXL trims and I'm trying to figure out if our folded up stroller will lay flat in the trunk. I can't seem to find the footprint dimensions (just the width and length) of the trunk. They only list cubic feet. The stroller is 29.53"W x 24.21"L x 10.24"H when folded.

Also I read that the EXL trim has a raised hump near the rear seats but the sport trims do not. If anyone wouldn't mind measuring the area of their EXL or Sport hatch-bed, I'd be super appreciative. Would rather not drag the stroller to the dealer.

Thanks!
Go ahead and take your stroller to the dealer. I used to take my tuba case to car dealerships and that's a hell of a lot clumsier than a stroller. ;)

Did a quick measure of my Sport Touring's trunk area:
41" wide between the wheel wells;
49" wide at the widest behind the wheels;
31" long, roughly and a conservative estimate, judging from the middle of the seatback (measuring at the floor will give a bigger number);
15" high under the shelves at the far left and right, which the roll-away privacy cover attaches to (there's maybe 19" under the fabric cover itself).

Something to note: the Sport trunk beds are maybe 4-6" higher than the non-Sport trims thanks to the center exhaust. The 10" height of your stroller would be fine, but it was a surprise for me to learn than my EP3's trunk area had more depth from the floor to the privacy cover. However, it's also a smooth transition from the trunk area to the folded-down seats; but the Sport/ST's trunk floor is a flimsy piece of particle board.

Take a peek here at 1:50-ish to see what this family tosses into their hatch:

markc72

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L w/NAVI
Country flag
Should be fine. I fit my bike in with no wheels off no problem. Just put in a good sized lawn mower with no problems and plenty of room to spare. You would be surprised how much you can fit in the hatch. I have an EX-L.

OP
OP
First Name
zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Go ahead and take your stroller to the dealer. I used to take my tuba case to car dealerships and that's a hell of a lot clumsier than a stroller. ;)

Did a quick measure of my Sport Touring's trunk area:
41" wide between the wheel wells;
49" wide at the widest behind the wheels;
31" long, roughly and a conservative estimate, judging from the middle of the seatback (measuring at the floor will give a bigger number);
15" high under the shelves at the far left and right, which the roll-away privacy cover attaches to (there's maybe 19" under the fabric cover itself).

Something to note: the Sport trunk beds are maybe 4-6" higher than the non-Sport trims thanks to the center exhaust. The 10" height of your stroller would be fine, but it was a surprise for me to learn than my EP3's trunk area had more depth from the floor to the privacy cover. However, it's also a smooth transition from the trunk area to the folded-down seats; but the Sport/ST's trunk floor is a flimsy piece of particle board.

Take a peek here at 1:50-ish to see what this family tosses into their hatch:
This is the most useful reply I've ever received to anything on the internet. Thank you!

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No sweat. I read your question and remembered that I saw a review on YT where the guy gave the measurements for the hatch area, so I went searching for it -- but "2017 Civic Hatchback Review" comes up with thousands of hits (at least I spotted the one with the baby stroller, though).

Then I thought, well hang on a sec, it'll just be faster if I get my tape measure and walk outside to my car.

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
It’s amazing what you can fit in the hatch, and with the seats down, it’s just huge ! I put my bike (with front wheel off) in the back with the seats down and the car just swallowed it up ! I didn’t have to twist the bike at all, it just fit nicely, so happy Honda brought the Civic hatch back. :)

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
@civicmindedfive I’ve been searching to find photos/videos of Civic Hatchbacks with car seats and strollers now that I’m expecting my second child. I found this image while searching online.

I really love my Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, but I can’t help but flirt with the idea of an SUV for more rear seat space and additional cargo area for hauling family items.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017/2018 Hatch Owners - Trunk footprint? C7A97CB0-752E-4141-9C75-F1CC0EED55DE

OP
OP
First Name
zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks for the pic! Ended up buying the EXL in Sonic Gray (like yours, I think). We're only planning on 1 kid so I think it's gonna workout great. I looked at a bunch of "smaller SUVs" like HRV/Mazda CX3, even CX5 didn't seem like it had that much more space. The VW sportwagen/alltrack might be worth looking into - but maybe it's just time for a smaller stroller lol! I am very jealous of the dads strolling around in these things https://www.amazon.com/Babyzen-YOYO-Stroller-Black/dp/B00N1U907A

Stroller test at the dealer w/ a blue sport, stroller is a Babyjogger City Mini GT:
Honda Civic 10th gen 2017/2018 Hatch Owners - Trunk footprint? upload_2018-6-13_10-7-20

My dad was shocked when we fit this lounge chair from target in it. Didn't even need to take out the carseat!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017/2018 Hatch Owners - Trunk footprint? upload_2018-6-13_10-6-27

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the pic! Ended up buying the EXL in Sonic Gray (like yours, I think). We're only planning on 1 kid so I think it's gonna workout great. I looked at a bunch of "smaller SUVs" like HRV/Mazda CX3, even CX5 didn't seem like it had that much more space. The VW sportwagen/alltrack might be worth looking into - but maybe it's just time for a smaller stroller lol! I am very jealous of the dads strolling around in these things https://www.amazon.com/Babyzen-YOYO-Stroller-Black/dp/B00N1U907A

Stroller test at the dealer w/ a blue sport, stroller is a Babyjogger City Mini GT:
upload_2018-6-13_10-7-20.png

My dad was shocked when we fit this lounge chair from target in it. Didn't even need to take out the carseat!

upload_2018-6-13_10-6-27.png

Great choive of color! My Civic is also Sonic Gray Pearl. Thanks for sharing photos and stroller options. I’ll skip the Baby Zen -“$$$” and look into the Babyjogger City Mini GT.

OP
OP
First Name
zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Note that the non-GT version of this stroller doesn't have a handlebar that folds so that might be an issue, just FYI.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really love my Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT, but I can’t help but flirt with the idea of an SUV for more rear seat space and additional cargo area for hauling family items.
If you start looking seriously at SUVs, make sure you do some more measurements (my Civic's cargo space is pretty close in length and width to our CR-V's, which is just taller).

And don't forget that if you have more space to carry stuff, you'll probably just end up carrying more stuff, most of which you don't actually need. ;)

Wingo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
I just hauled a 58" tv that had a box dimensions of 63.7" x 35.5" x 8"
Fit just perfect.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Agree on taking it to the dealer; I fly model airplanes and I bring them with me to make sure they fit in the car. Gotta make sure my MiG-21 can fit with the back seats folded down...

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
If you start looking seriously at SUVs, make sure you do some more measurements (my Civic's cargo space is pretty close in length and width to our CR-V's, which is just taller).

And don't forget that if you have more space to carry stuff, you'll probably just end up carrying more stuff, most of which you don't actually need. ;)
The additional leg room in the rear for car seats and passengers and additional cargo space are attractive characteristics of the CRV over the Civic. There is no doubt more can be hauled in the CRV and done so more comfortably. Nevertheless, I’m sticking with the Civic Hatchback for as long as possible.

Honda Civic 10th gen 2017/2018 Hatch Owners - Trunk footprint? 26628FF2-943F-454D-8A32-84BF09EAF8AB
Sponsored