Golf6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK6 Golf
I'm sure they dont but at least there is enough volume apparently for the companies to offer them while the domestic brands here pump out the same boring cars or import watered down versions compared to the European/Asian counterparts. Even the domestic companies know this... It took Ford how many years to bring the Focus RS here? and it don't get more American than Ford.
Always been so weird to me how an American co. offers a performance version only outside the country where the co. is based. With foreign companies like Honda it makes some sense but not with American companies.
Sponsored

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Hopefully things are changing in that respect. Hot hatches seem to be slowly catching on and it's a good sign that both Ford and Honda are bringing versions of them over to the US in the next year or so. I think in general domestic cars are becoming more European ... in terms of both styling and relying more on FI for power etc.

M1160

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Uber
Hopefully things are changing in that respect. Hot hatches seem to be slowly catching on and it's a good sign that both Ford and Honda are bringing versions of them over to the US in the next year or so. I think in general domestic cars are becoming more European ... in terms of both styling and relying more on FI for power etc.
The prob has been that they have always been afraid of stepping on the toes of their other sports cars so they offer a different style that Europeans like and offer it exclusively in that market so they are free to give it as much power and fun as they want. It's like the Focus RS, different cars and different markets than the Mustang but I think they were always afraid to have a hot hatch overshadow their bread and butter sports car. Glad to see things are changing for the better now...

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
I never buy first year model anyway. This will give em a chance to work out any kinks in the rest of the world first.
Me either. Gives me more time to save up too. And bonus is that we'll be able to read all the reviews first to see if the car is for us.

martyr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boring Accord family hauler
Me either. Gives me more time to save up too. And bonus is that we'll be able to read all the reviews first to see if the car is for us.
I've done that before waiting to save up enough for a car in the past and trust me it's torture and makes the time pass at least twice as slow hah. When I finally got the car it was almost deflating. As they say anticipation is sometimes even better than the real thing.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
"2017 or even a 2018" model year means it could be here as early as next year. The coupe and hatch aren't supposed to launch until next year anyway so maybe we see the Type R model launched in the US at the same time the coupe and 5-door are launched.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
"2017 or even a 2018" model year means it could be here as early as next year. The coupe and hatch aren't supposed to launch until next year anyway so maybe we see the Type R model launched in the US at the same time the coupe and 5-door are launched.
I wouldn't expect the coupe to be as delayed as the hatch and imagine it will go on sale early in 2016 if not sooner.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Saw this timing speculation posted, seems possible?

So we've got about 6 or so months before we even get the new Civic sedan as my guess is it will formally debut at LA, like the 9th Gen did. Sometime next year Honda will probably debut the new Civic Hatchback, likely at somewhere like Geneva since it will be there main Civic model. The new Civic Type R is recently on sale, correct (or soon will be) so my bet is that we won't see the current Civic Hatch here in the states, it honestly would be a real waste, even in Type-R form.

From what I hear the Swidon plant is supposedly very flexible, so it could still build the "old Civic" and "new Civic" at the same time. I would not be surprised if the new Civic debuted at Geneva, but went on sale in the states first, since we are the first to get the new 10th generation Civic overall.

We will have to wait until Europe gets the all new model or at least until it is formally announced for Europe before we get a hatchback, its their main model and its gonna be built there. It would make no sense to give us an all-new Civic Sedan and Coupe and then a "new to us" 9th Gen Hatchback based off the Honda Fit with its inferior rear suspsension set up. Waste of time and money. Focus on getting the 10th gen out smoothly with minimal issues and then work on getting out variants of the new models...i.e. the Hatch, Type-R, CR-Z, etc. etc.

Remember folks, quality issues have been an issue with everything lately from the HR-Z, Fit, TLX, etc. The 10th's debut with all new engines and new technology is a big risk...Honda's gotta make sure its super smooth!

That's why I'm not buying for a second that these spy shots are of the new Civic Hatch...its too soon for developmental models to be out. The Civic Sedan and Coupe will come out before even the SI models do...John Mendal has already said these two will debut in the fall and winter and that the Si and eventually the Type-R models will debut later. My guess:

1) Civic Sedan-Around November or so in time for LA
2) Civic Coupe-Around December or January
3) Civic SI-on sale by the late winter/early spring
4) Civic Hatchback-debuting at Geneva sometime next year, possibly on sale in the states first since we'll be the first with new 10th gen models.
5) A 6 months to a year after the hatchback, a debut of the Type R model.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
I thought they said the sedan would debut in the Fall? Not sure if that jives well with an LA auto show debut in very late November. I guess they still have time if it is released pretty soon after or announce availability at the show. I also could be wrong but I thought it was mentioned the coupe and other versions would come in early 2016? Someone correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm thinking the sedan will be out before LA. Hopefully they will use LA to show the production coupe... possibly Si "concepts"?

Tap Out

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 CRV
Coupe and sedan will be about the same as usual. I really want to see an Si and Type R concept shown. The base Civic is so boring right now and given how sporty the new Civic concept looks it can only mean greater things for the higher variants... really looking forward to it.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
I'd like to see the next gen hatchback debut somewhere in the US. Very few people outside of enthusiasts know that the hatch and Type R are coming to the states. It'd be a good way of spreading the word over here.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd like to see the next gen hatchback debut somewhere in the US. Very few people outside of enthusiasts know that the hatch and Type R are coming to the states. It'd be a good way of spreading the word over here.
My guess for the hatch would be a US debut at the 2016 Detroit show.
Sponsored