2016 vs 2017 Honda Civic EX

btravvv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 VW GTI
Hey guys,

Been following the forum for over a year but finally found a question that hasn't been answered up to this point. I have been researching the difference between the 2016 EX and the 2017 EX and the only difference is that HD Radio and Satellite is now available on the 2017 EX. However, when looking at the vehicles, some vehicles have the shark fin antenna and some do not. I've also realized that the shark fin antenna does not change the price of the vehicle and it is not available as option either. Obviously this is not a deal breaker but I do like the look of the antenna. Anybody have more info on this?
Sponsored

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
You've been looking at them in person or online? Online they don't separate images by trim, so you're probably looking at stock photos of both an LX and an EX (without the fin.) Both the LX and EX (sedan models, anyways) are listed as having integrated rear antennas, whereas trims above the EX are listed as having a fin-type roof-mounted antenna.

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Looks like EX no longer has dynamic guidelines for the rearview camera and I don't think EX has fin type antenna even for 2017 models, based on the pictures online
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 vs 2017 Honda Civic EX Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.08.27 AM
Honda Civic 10th gen 2016 vs 2017 Honda Civic EX upload_2016-11-7_0-6-2

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
The Dynamic Guidelines ARE a nice feature. I like them a lot on my EX-T.

I don't really understand the above image. That seems to imply that the EX-T is just $360 more? Is that right? If so, F the EX and get the EX-T. No brainer there.

EDIT - Nevermind, I see that because the MANUAL is standard on the EX-T, getting the CVT adds an extra $800 to that.

OP
OP

btravvv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 VW GTI
The Dynamic Guidelines ARE a nice feature. I like them a lot on my EX-T.

I don't really understand the above image. That seems to imply that the EX-T is just $360 more? Is that right? If so, F the EX and get the EX-T. No brainer there.

EDIT - Nevermind, I see that because the MANUAL is standard on the EX-T, getting the CVT adds an extra $800 to that.

I was originally looking at the LX and felt that the jump to the EX was well worthy. I didn't want to keep jumping up to the next trim levels. Lol

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I was originally looking at the LX and felt that the jump to the EX was well worthy. I didn't want to keep jumping up to the next trim levels. Lol
Same here, but I jumped from LX to EX-T directly. However I wanted sensing for two reasons, convenience/safety and also it lowered my insurance premiums with progressive by 35%. Unfortunately I couldn't find any EX-T with sensing in my state and that made me pull the trigger for EX with sensing. I'm happy with my car. However I would have easily gone for 1.5 turbo with better mpg and heated seats for an extra $1000

OP
OP

btravvv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 VW GTI
You've been looking at them in person or online? Online they don't separate images by trim, so you're probably looking at stock photos of both an LX and an EX (without the fin.) Both the LX and EX (sedan models, anyways) are listed as having integrated rear antennas, whereas trims above the EX are listed as having a fin-type roof-mounted antenna.
I have visited 2 dealerships and have seen 2 2017 EXs with the fin. I have yet to see one without it but I have seen dealerships post pictures of EXs on their websites.

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have visited 2 dealerships and have seen 2 2017 EXs with the fin. I have yet to see one without it but I have seen dealerships post pictures of EXs on their websites.
Could it have been an EX-L you saw? They don't designate EX-L on the trim insignia on the trunk, do they? Unless you looked at the sticker itself and saw that it was an EX. just curious.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Looks like EX no longer has dynamic guidelines for the rearview camera and I don't think EX has fin type antenna even for 2017 models, based on the pictures online
Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 12.08.27 AM.png
upload_2016-11-7_0-6-2.png
Jesus, did it ever occur to you that whoever runs the Honda website just recycled the pics from last year and the guy probably doesn't know jack about cars anyway? EX models for 2017 in the US have SXM so they all have the shark fin.

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Try observing the wheels when you see a fin. That should let you know if it's an EX or higher level trim.

sidhu2909

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Jesus, did it ever occur to you that whoever runs the Honda website just recycled the pics from last year and the guy probably doesn't know jack about cars anyway? EX models for 2017 in the US have SXM so they all have the shark fin.
Thanks, I did not know that because I haven't seen them in person. WHICH IS WHY I STATED BASED ON THE PICTURES ONLINE.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Thanks, I did not know that because I haven't seen them in person. WHICH IS WHY I STATED BASED ON THE PICTURES ONLINE.
Okay, but did you honestly think it was reasonable to scrutinize something like the shark fin that heavily based on the pictures alone due to your ignorance?

In fact, you're lucky that the configurator for Honda USA and some sites like Ford are very good when it comes to visual differentiation between trims and accessories. Try the Honda Canada site, you can tack on a bunch of accessories and nothing will show up on the pictures.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Calm the F down

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
Same here, but I jumped from LX to EX-T directly. However I wanted sensing for two reasons, convenience/safety and also it lowered my insurance premiums with progressive by 35%. Unfortunately I couldn't find any EX-T with sensing in my state and that made me pull the trigger for EX with sensing. I'm happy with my car. However I would have easily gone for 1.5 turbo with better mpg and heated seats for an extra $1000
I'd take sensing over turbo so you made a wise choice imo

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
Just make sure you're getting the equivalent of the best 2016 discounts on your 2017's. Some folks (but obviously not all) are, according to TrueCar. $2500 off a Touring's MSRP makes it very attractive. Much depends on your negotiating strategy and how much time you're willing to put into shopping (time between first dealer contact and signing).
Sponsored

Last edited: