2016 Touring is Too Powerful, I'm Not Getting My High MPG

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
This car has too much power, I can't hardly keep my foot out of it. So far I've only achieved 32.2 mpg over 700 miles. It's seriously fun to see this little car pull away from everyone else at a light without even trying. Truthfully, If it was warm out I'd have probably averaged 35 mpg having all this fun.

If you really think about it, Honda has practically worked magic. 174 hp from 1.5 litres, it's crazy. It's like having the power of a much larger engine without the bulk. With the torque converter they also solved the power issue at the start of acceleration.

For comparison, I had a brand new 2012 Veloster with the 1.6 direct injection engine and DCT transmission. I liked the car overall but it paled in comparison to the drivability of this Civic Touring. The Civic is an order of magnitude more refined in the engine and chassis. I also hope I never again own low profile tires like the 18's on the Veloster. Sorry kids, too much of a comfort compromise for me. The 17's on this beauty are perfect in my book.

My 2014 Accord V6 Coupe could out accelerate this car, but I doubt you'd get where you are going any faster than in the new Civic. The Accord always leaned in tight turns, I really like the more refined suspension in this car. It corners flatter and more precisely without sacrificing ride quality. My 22 mile commute has been too short since I picked this baby up.
Pat
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Too many variables to address your post. Are you getting 32.2 mpg in City only, mixed driving or highway? If you're putting your foot in it and staying in the boost, your fuel economy is going to suffer... I'm going to say having power is subjective as well. If one had small 4 cyl Honda's their entire life, then yes, the new engine is going to be quick, but for someone who has driven say an SRT Grand Cherokee, it's going to be a dog for them.

Besides, I'd rather have that power in an emergency or for passing than not have it at all.

Your Accord V6 is totally faster than this car? You don't say?! There's 100 more HP in that thing...

Reactions: Pat

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
This car has too much power, I can't hardly keep my foot out of it. So far I've only achieved 32.2 mpg over 700 miles. It's seriously fun to see this little car pull away from everyone else at a light without even trying.
Modern full size trucks can easily out pull your 1.5T from a light. You haven't run into one yet!

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Modern full size trucks can easily out pull your 1.5T from a light. You haven't run into one yet!
Haha, when I worked at the dealership the exhaust from the Ram Sport would make the others let off the throttle. But like I said, power is all relative and doesn't mean anything without a comparison. The 1.5T is gonna smoke an R18 but put it up against a Hemi and you have no chance.

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
I don't think he meant he could literally pull away from any car possible at a light. He's just saying the car is very fast for a standard Civic, which it is.

Pat: does your instrument cluster mostly glow green or mostly white? Green indicates you're getting optimum fuel economy and white means you're sucking gas. It sounds like you drive the car pretty aggressively so not surprised you're in the mid-low 30's MPG, which is still real good IMO.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Lol there are many cars that could beat a Civic from a light. I think the point is it's been a while since a regular Civic (not Si or Type R) has been described as anything close to speedy, fast, or good acceleration.

You're basically getting the last generation Si's acceleration for the price of a base Civic and class leading fuel economy. Can't complain there. As with any fun car tho, the funner it is the more those MPG ratings go out the window :)

OP
OP

Pat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Guy's, my post is a bit tongue in cheek. I'm aware that I'm not going to win races with this thing, but it's anything but a slouch. I recall my first almost new car, it was a 1982 Trans Am (looked like the Knight Rider car). As I recall it had a 305 ci V8 and some wild cross flow fuel injection system. If I remember correctly it had less hp than this Civic but about 70 more pounds of torque. The Civic is faster in the 1/4 mile and has a higher top speed than that car, to me that is amazing.

I'm not really complaining about the mpg either, I just wanted a catchy title for the post. Truth is though that it will be hard for me to drive this thing for maximum economy for a while, it's just too much fun. Maybe I'll slow down a bit when the new wears off :D

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 1.5 turbo really is quick. It doesn't have that scary fast sound it just gets up and goes. People can dump on the CVT but it seems to be a perfect match for the turbo. Let's hope the pairing is reliable.

They should have put the Turbo badge on all the 1.5's Maybe it can be ordered through the parts department.

Reactions: Pat

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase

Shortbus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Fit Blue Sensation
Just when I get out of my Civic and think "hm..the power output is ok on this car" I get into my FRS and that thought goes away. Nice car still and has enough power to do what's needed.
The 200-300 pound and 25hp difference makes a big difference. Any power mods?

The Si should give the FR-S a run for its money when it comes out.

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
The 200-300 pound and 25hp difference makes a big difference. Any power mods?

The Si should give the FR-S a run for its money when it comes out.
The FRS only has a cold air intake and cat back exhaust. I'll put my FRS and the Civic against each other when the roads and weather clears up and post a video if I can.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Try 330 at the crank on a FWD 2.3. I feel your pain... hard to keep the foot off the gas. :cool:

But holy batman the torque steer is insane the higher you go. 250 is about the practical limit on any 3,000 lb FWD car.

2slo4u

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, FRS
Vehicle Showcase
Try 330 at the crank on a FWD 2.3. I feel your pain... hard to keep the foot off the gas. :cool:

But holy batman the torque steer is insane the higher you go. 250 is about the practical limit on any 3,000 lb FWD car.
Tell me about it..my old 2000 Civic had 364 hp and although it was a blast to drive around, traction and torque steer were my worse enemies.
Sponsored