2016 rear brakes worn out

ctash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Aegean Blue (delivered 12/23/2015)
Country flag
So, I called the dealer to inquire about a TSB before I went in. I didn't want him to charge me for a 'diagnostic fee' just to tell me the rear rotor is screwed. I told him that I was aware that brake pads/rotors are not typically covered under a warranty, but that there was likely a bulletin about it, and that it was being covered elsewhere. He stated that that may be true, but only under the factory bumper-to-bumper (3 yr/36K)and not the extended Honda Warranty. That sounds a little screwy to me.
Damn. I have Honda Care and was going to try and cash in on this because now, just shy of 4yrs and 48K miles, my rear rotors look like rusted crap. Guess I'm SOL
Sponsored

myriad46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Damn. I have Honda Care and was going to try and cash in on this because now, just shy of 4yrs and 48K miles, my rear rotors look like rusted crap. Guess I'm SOL
I would ask anyway. Maybe your dealer would cover it.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
DIY,You tube,forums..Let say 60$ for set of rear pads,60$ each for rotor x 2 then labor,max. 1 hour per wheel.

ctash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring - Aegean Blue (delivered 12/23/2015)
Country flag
DIY,You tube,forums..Let say 60$ for set of rear pads,60$ each for rotor x 2 then labor,max. 1 hour per wheel.
Yeah, I can buy OEM parts for $230 shipped and local shop is $150 (1.5hrs for labor).

Olmsteez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 EXT Hatch
Country flag
They are easy to do, the piston can be manually turned inside the caliper with needle nose pliers or a special tool. I've done mine a few weeks ago.
I think that $169 for brake lubrication is a bit too much.
Don't ever use needle nose pliers! Autozone loans the tool for free and HF sells the tool for like $20. You can easily damage the boot on the piston with pliers.

I would LOVVVE to see an itemized bill for a $1200 brake job.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Yes, my rear rotors needed resurfacing within the first year of ownership, so this time around the dealer is going to try doing something for me. The rotors are really pitted, though not grooved like some of the pics in this thread, at only 46k kms. They said a full rear brake job of pads and rotors would be MAX $500...

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Yes, my rear rotors needed resurfacing within the first year of ownership, so this time around the dealer is going to try doing something for me. The rotors are really pitted, though not grooved like some of the pics in this thread, at only 46k kms. They said a full rear brake job of pads and rotors would be MAX $500...
I replaced rear pads and rotors a few weeks ago, I ordered from Rockauto, $115 (including shipping, custom and taxes) Rockauto has multiple choices.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
I replaced rear pads and rotors a few weeks ago, I ordered from Rockauto, $115 (including shipping, custom and taxes) Rockauto has multiple choices.
Yeah, I had it in for a regular checkup, so I told them to go ahead and do the brakes. Almost wish I hadn’t! $113ea. For the rotors, and $93 for the pads?!? No problems with the service, but I’ll be complaining to Honda about the parts. No way should the rotors have looked like that this early on, and they said the pads were down to 1mm? Front pads were at 6mm and rotors looked good...

biker750guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Yeah, I had it in for a regular checkup, so I told them to go ahead and do the brakes. Almost wish I hadn’t! $113ea. For the rotors, and $93 for the pads?!? No problems with the service, but I’ll be complaining to Honda about the parts. No way should the rotors have looked like that this early on, and they said the pads were down to 1mm? Front pads were at 6mm and rotors looked good...
Last year when I was still dealing with Android Auto issues my service manager made a comment on Honda brake pads being too hard/soft and this year when my rear rotors and pads were like the picture here I was told that I was out of warranty and there was no "special warranty" TSB. The car has never seen a winter and I rotate my own tires so I was less than impressed. Had already bought OEM Honda pads on line in the states, no EBC available for my 2L 6S Could. Front made in the USA, rears in Italy. Fronts dirty but with grease, rears clean without grease. Was not going to buy Honda rotors that didn't last for C$105 per so bought CTC for C$32 per. Also decided to buy a brake tool kit from A for $30 rather than borrow one for free. HT grease on the pin, anti seize on the slides. EZ job but it shouldn't have been needed, third Civic in a row, No doubt in my mind, Honda should have ate it but they are out two head units and cables to get Android Auto working. There are three ways to retract the piston and I chose the tool but if I had it on a hoist I would have pulled the brake/ABS plug apart and used power to do it. I will be lubing at tire rotation from now on but that shouldn't be necessary IMHO.

biker750guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
Hey all, just noticed my back brakes making slight grinding noises. 2018 Civic Hatch, at 23,000km, bought new in November 2017. I gave my brakes a quick look, and they looked EFFED. So I called my dealer and they advised there is a TSB for my car that the rears prematurely rust and pit. I just had a brake service done earlier this year so I doubt my pistons are seized.

I have an appointment tomorrow for a diagnosis, everything should be covered under warranty due to a TSB for this issue.

Driver side rear:
4qvlI56.jpg

Passenger side rear:
QWpVJVQ.jpg

Compared to my fronts:
PWRrVzL.jpg

8lcmSqL.jpg
Yep, that's mine. Did the Job myself and had bought OEM pads before I knew about this or I wouldn't have, made in Italy, fronts, USA, go figure. Bought rotors from CTC for C$32 per, can't be any worse and I will be going high performance next time but EBC doesn't make for my model. Put Michelin Pilot road sport AS on when new and replaced with AS+ . Very disappointed Honda didn't eat the Job; the parts were not speckd or manufacturing failed.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I use silicone grease for the caliper pins and anti-seize for the pads. I suppose you could use silicone grease for the pads also, but I prefer to use anti-seize .
why anti seize instead of the brake grease on the pads?